Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m wary of making too many changes. We obviously need to boost the squad and upgrade in certain areas whilst maintaining the sense camaraderie and continuity that has got us this far under Poch.

I’d say it’s worth hanging onto Eriksen and Toby and letting them walk for free next year to maintain this. Neither seem to have the options that they thought they would.

I could live with N’Dombele and Attal whilst boosting our homegrown quota with Clarke and Sessengnon.

Or alternative just sell Trippier, roll with Aurier/KWP with Foyth and Sissoko in emergency for this upcoming season and buy Max Aarons next year.

I dag up number of minutes each our firstteamer has played this season (in all comps combined for 1st team) and wanted to share, as this gives better impact of how significant impact losing player X or Y might have -

GK:
Lloris - 3859 min
Gazzaniga - 990 min
Vorm - 279 min

RB:
Trippier - 3084
Aurier - 1358
KWP - 705

CB:
Toby - 4273
Sanchez - 3022
Jan - 2808
Foyth - 1258
Eyoma - 11

LB:
Davies - 2709
Rose- 2474

CM:
Sissoko - 3329
Winks - 2651
Dier - 1912
Wanyama - 982
Dembele - 706
Skipp - 402
Marsh - 25
Amos - 2

AM:
Eriksen - 4039
Son - 3202
Moura- 3148
Alli - 2882
Lamela- 1550
N'Koudou - 121
Sterling - 9

ST:
Kane - 3252
Llorente - 1238
Janssen - 36

So what is the conclusion -
1) If we are thinking about selling Vorm, N'Koudou, Onomah and Janssen - their combined playing time for us this season was 426 minutes. This virtually makes no difference if they are here or not.
2) If we add Wanyama and Lamela to the list (Vic being absent for 2 seasons in row, Coco already 3rd season missing) then we get the number to 2958 minutes (roughly equivalent to 33 full games or the total playing time of Sanchez this season).
3) If we lose Eriksen and Toby due to contract issues, we will lose 2 by far most reliable players from the past season - between 2 of them they played equivalent of 92 full games. Next in line will be Sissoko who played more than 700 minutes less.
That doesn't take into account the amount of times a player in poor form (such as Alli) was picked even though perhaps they shouldn't have been.

I feel like the path we’re on is:

Ndombele 65M
Lo Celso 55M (this is the Eriksen replacement at CAM)
Ceballos swap for Eriksen with maybe 25-30M coming back (further midfield upgrade)
R. Sessegnon (30-40M)
William Saliba 20M
Clarke 10M

Out
Eriksen (25-30M + swap for Ceballos)
Toby 25M
Trippier 25-30M
A few other departures of minor players 15M

Rough net outlay 90-100M

What does this get you?
-much younger squad with some talent that will really hit full stride during the five year contract, with massive sell-on (profit) potential thereafter
-Stength in midfield where we badly need it
-no change in the homegrown counts

Depth chart:
GK: Loris, Gazzaniga, Whiteman

CB: Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Saliba (Davies, Dier)

LB: Rose, Davies, Sessegnon (Jan)

RB: Aurier, KWP, Foyth

CM: Ndombele, Ceballos, Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Skip, Marsh, Amos

CAM: Lo Celso, Dele

Wingers: Son, Moura, Dele, Lamela, Lo Celso, Sessegnon

Strikers: Kane, Son, Parrott

Last edited:
I feel like the path we’re on is:

Ndombele 65M
Lo Celso 55M (this is the Eriksen replacement at CAM)
Ceballos swap for Eriksen with maybe 25-30M coming back (further midfield upgrade)
R. Sessegnon (30-40M)
William Saliba 20M
Clarke 10M

Out
Eriksen (25-30M + swap for Ceballos)
Toby 25M
Trippier 25-30M
A few other departures of minor players 15M

Rough net outlay 90-100M

What does this get you?
-much younger squad with some talent that will really hit full stride during the five year contract, with massive sell-on (profit) potential thereafter
-Stength in midfield where we badly need it
-no change in the homegrown counts

Depth chart:
GK: Loris, Gazzaniga, Whiteman

CB: Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Saliba (Davies, Dier)

LB: Rose, Davies, Sessegnon (Jan)

RB: Aurier, KWP, Foyth

CM: Ndombele, Ceballos, Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Skip, Marsh, Amos

CAM: Lo Celso, Dele

Wingers: Son, Moura, Dele, Lamela, Lo Celso, Sessegnon

Strikers: Kane, Son, Parrott

That looks good to me except for RB, we cannot rely on Aurier as first choice. If we sold Trips we would have to make a signing.

Hard to say depends what sort of net spend Levy will sanction.

I'd like to see these outs
Rose
Tripps
Wanyama
Vinnie
Lamela
Eriksen (if he won't sign the deal)

And these ins

Clarke
Ndombele
Sess
Van de beek (if Eriksen won't commit)
Grealish
Diop

Lloris, Jan, Son, Kane are the only players I would be gutted to see leave if I'm honest.

We don't need wholesale changes, we performed well below our usual levels last season at times but injuries, Wembley and lack of pre season and international call ups for the likes of son did not help.

I think wanyama needs to be moved on, such a shame but he is nowhere near the levels of two seasons ago. If trippier goes I can see Foyth getting more game time.

The eriksen situation needs sorting, but even if he stays I would like to see someone come in who can challenge him and dele for their starting position. A young hungry replacement for llorente would be a good addition funded by moving nkoudo and Jansen on

Other than the obvious deadwood, Janssen, N'koudou, Vorm, Llorente and the possible departures of Alderweireld and Eriksen, we need to be very careful about who we sell.

Running with such a thin squad as last season should not be repeated.

As I've said many times, a squad deep enough to sustain us through injuries, suspensions and lack of form.

I know we can't wind back the clock 12 months, but shouldn't we have been this active then?

So the squad looks like it's shaping up like this if all the ins and outs go to plan

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Sessegnon
Winks
Lo Celso Ndombele
Eriksen Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga
KWP Sanchez Foyth Davies
Dier
Sissoko Skipp
Moura Lamela
Son
That's a strong 22 with the ability to change formations and tactics. Poch says he wants a 25 man squad so maybe we have room for one more signing and a couple of exciting kids from the yoofs

So the squad looks like it's shaping up like this if all the ins and outs go to plan

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Sessegnon
Winks
Lo Celso Ndombele
Eriksen Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga
KWP Sanchez Foyth Davies
Dier
Sissoko Skipp
Moura Lamela
Son
That's a strong 22 with the ability to change formations and tactics. Poch says he wants a 25 man squad so maybe we have room for one more signing and a couple of exciting kids from the yoofs

I can see us shaping up more like:

----------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
--------Aurier-------Alderweireld-------Vertonghen --------Davies-----
----------------------------------------Winks-----------------------------------
-------------------Lo Celso-------------------------Ndombele---------------
--------------------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------Dele--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------
--------Foyth-----------Sanchez-------------Dier----------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------------Skipp-------------------------------------
----------------------Lamela-------------------------Sissoko-------------------
-----------Lucas---------------------------------------------------Son----------
---------------------------------------Llorente----------------------------------

KWP, CCV, Parrott and one of our HG 3rd choice goalkeepers (Whiteman or Di Bie) to add depth and competition.

Sadly that would see our outs being Vorm, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Onomah, Edwards, Nkoudou & Janssen out the door.

I would however given the opportunity swap Aurier for Hysaj if I had the chance. Ideal incomings Hysaj, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke for next season and another year of the hunk that is Nando doing his bit for the cause. Diers versatility will save his bacon as he'll offer options mostly as a DM ahead of Skipp but also in CB should Foyth choose to pursue his role as a RB.

Back
Top Bottom