Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Especially when you're looking at @£40m for Ake (don't rate him) and £80m for Maguire (Worth 40m tops IMO)

Absolutely. People need to accept that we have to work to a budget. If Lo Celso, Clarke, Ndombele and Sessegnon come in we are looking at upwards of £160m without sales. If we want to add further quality it's rumoured to be £30m for Saliba, £50m option to buy with Ceballos etc. If we are investing in this kind of quality we need to be cuter in other areas like utilising our academy prospects or versatile players such as Dier.

For me players like Dier, Trippier when he was here are vitally important. Peanut prices in today's market and you know they'll do a job. Without them simp,y put we wouldn't be able to fork out for the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko, Ndombele the big money signings we've made etc.

With Poch talking about the need to rebuild, if we assume he and Levy reach an agreement where Spurs increase his salary, that of players, and spend some good money without going crazy, then the question is who is essential and stays and who goes? What direction do we see Poch taking the team?

Looking at our starters I think these solid first teamers stay:
Lloris, Jan, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Son, Kane, Dele, Moura

I guess he'll need to start planning for life after Lloris a bit further down the line but clearly he values his leadership strongly. Other than that Jan is getting on a little and picking up more injuries so assuming Toby leaves we're surely going to need another CB soon. I could see Poch upgrading some of the others not listed, or being willing to entertain offers for them.

I could see us becoming more of counter attacking side if he can get the right players in.

Fucking hell, deep half the squad why don't ya!

Some fans think they're playing Championship Manager!

:pochfacepalm:

I don't play it but maybe I should.

Not saying we should or will jettison the rest just that some seem certain to stay while others Poch seems less attached to so some of them may not be playing for us after a few transfer windows.

Davinson, Foyth, Winks, Rose, KWP, Gazza will likely be back. Would absolutely love Eriksen and Toby to stay, and realistically we need to probably hold on to one of Trippier or Aurier.

It's nothing really about transfers, at least not buying specific players in. I'm asking what direction people think our team and style of play are going to go in next. What the rebuild is going to look like and who we build it around. Poch has said himself it's on the cards and it's clear some players are going to leave or are coming to the end of their careers. Dembele has already gone so it's already begun.,

New thread title but much of a muchness otherwise....

Just am opinion.... I'm sure the thread will roll on regardless.

Sell - Trippier, Wanyama, Janssen, Nkoudou, Toby, Eriksen, Dier,Lamela,Rose
Buy - Grealish, Tielemans, Gomes, Bale (part-exchange for Eriksen move to Madrid),Digne(Swap for Rose),Gedson

KWP and Parrott move to First Team as cover - Foyth, DAvinson sanchez and Vertonghen become the back-3 starters with Ben Davies/Digne available as cover in central defence while he isn't rotating duties as LWB

Last edited:
Which right back we lose first will likely be down to what offers we get for them but I can't see either being here after a couple of summer windows. We can do better, can surely attract strong replacements who Poch can improve further.

I looked at this without naming names just on a pure "we need better" basis for the starting eleven.

GK - We don't need better

FB - We need at least one who is a step up

CB - We don't need better

DM - We need at least one who is a step up

AM - We don't need better

Strikers - We don't need better

So on that basis we are not far away from a title challenging side, four years in the CL supports that ... so I reckon we need to spend 60m each on a top fullback and a top defensive midfield player ... 120m

so that leaves replacements who's going and who replaces them ...

Vorm - out of contract no value, obvious replacement is Gazza with one of our academy stepping up to 3rd choice ... 0m

Toby
- can go for 30m, we have Foyth and Sanchez as back-ups but are they good enough? would be far better to get another year out of him but if he goes we will need a quality replacement now ... 60m minus 30m ... 30m

Jan -
he's 32 with one year left on his contract, ideally we sign him on a further year option but for sure we don't let him go now, at 33 he can leave on a free next summer ... 0m

Danny
- think it's just time to move on, he's 28 with one decent contract left in him, sell for 30m ... Davies step up and we've already added (see above) a new FB so we will just need young talent who can be groomed for down the line that could be KWP or Poch may want someone new lets go with in-house development so -30m

Llorente -
I would keep him, as third choice he does the job, with Kane, Son, Moura all in front of him he's a useful option even if not the player he was ... we have Parrot coming through needs another 12 months to see if he's good enough so keeping Llorente makes sense ... 0m

Janssen -
Gone
GKN - Gone

Overall in true Spurs fashion the in's and out's will balance up ....

I'd stick with Tripps and Serge, with a better DM in front of them they will be OK, however if Tripps chooses to go it will be for decent money which can buy a ready made replacement.

There's a few others who could go and be replaced with like for like Wanyama, Serge, Lamela all are back-up players who could be replaced in house or with 'projects' at a similar price to what we would receive selling them.

That leaves Eriksen, the big question mark, at the end of the day is it that big an issue? If he decides to stay great, if he leaves we will get 120m or something equally ridiculous ... can we replace him for that? As an individual probably not but as we've done before (and Liverpool did with Coutinho) if we spend that money wisely we can strengthen the squad and end up with 2/3 players instead of one. Our problem isn't first eleven quality it's strength in depth ... so whatever happens with Eriksen it's not the end of the world.

What's that rambling spiel telling me? That we can do the usual in and out transfers that we have done for the last decade spend net zero and stand still, but if we want to improve we need to inject 120m into the squad. Will we? guess right now only DL knows the answer to that .....

Last edited:
Trippier is a fucking liability, just how do you think Ajax scored their first goal on Wednesday, Tripper waved the scorer through.

Trippier has had a horrible season but he’s home grown and he was cheap. Aurier has also made many horrible errors in his time with us except he cost 7 times as much as Trippier and is taking up a foreign player spot. I’m sure we will sell both for the right price but Aurier has shown nothing in his time here whereas prior to this season Trips showed he was useful.

Probably worth starting with the current squad, based upon CL rules for Club trained (C), Other FA Affiliated Clubs (HG) and u21's :

GKs - Lloris, Gazzaniga, Vorm (out of contract)

CB's - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth (u21 in 2019/20 for CL)

FB's - Rose (C), Davies, Aurier, Trippier (HG), Walker-Peters (C)

CM's - Wanyama, Dier, Winks (C), Sissoko, (plus Amos (C), Skipp (u21)

AM's - Eriksen, Son, Dele (HG), Moura, Lamela, N'Koudou

FWD's -
Kane (C), Llorente, Janssen

Trippier may stay due to HG. But we need to replace Walker
CB if Alderweirald leaves
LB to take over from Rose. Not a fan of Davies.
CM Keep everyone bring in a new CM
Wing - replace Lamela with someone quick that scores goals
CF - give llorente another year, bring in new striker

I guess I’ll take a shot: Trips, Llorente, Wanyama, Janssen, CCV, Onomah, GKN all out. KWP out on loan. I think it’s highly likely Toby and Eriksen go as well.

I think we sign Sess (though I’m not sold on him) and Grealish if Villa doesn’t qualify. Then a big name RB and a solid backup to Kane. I think Dier moves to CB.

Grsalish isn't as good as Lamela and he'll be on the bench!

No idea how good Lamela is (although I have my view!)as he's never played enough consecutive games to build a reputation.

Grealish looked pretty good v WBA at the weekend.

Grealish is not my first choice but I'd take him for £35-£40m

I guess I’ll take a shot: Trips, Llorente, Wanyama, Janssen, CCV, Onomah, GKN all out. KWP out on loan. I think it’s highly likely Toby and Eriksen go as well.

I think we sign Sess (though I’m not sold on him) and Grealish if Villa doesn’t qualify. Then a big name RB and a solid backup to Kane. I think Dier moves to CB.

Still leaves us 2-3 short in the midfield department! Dembele wasn't replaced. He must be this summer.

Back
Top Bottom