Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GK
Lloris
Gazza

DF
Trippier (HG)
Toby
Vertonghen
Sanchez
Foyth
Rose (HG)

DM
Winks (HG)
Sissoko

AM
Son
Dele (HG)
Eriksen
Moura
Lucas

ST
Kane (HG)
Llorente

For me, this is what i will keep. Maybe Davies too. but i really want us to have explosion on the wings. Dier if Poch think he could straighten him up. But on recent outings, he is one of the first to go.
Llorente i feel has done the job, we dont need another striker with Lucas and Son doing so well there. Dont mind Lamela, but if we want to improve, we need room.

Also for the incoming i would like (by recent rumours), i would welcome Grealish but i really dont love what i see from Sessegnon. yes he is fast and super young to be judged. But i dont like what he offered.

Would like Maddison too. It looks like he is befriended a lot of our Englishman.

With a new explosive FB and dominant CM, i think our defending will be solid again.

Well... saying "everyone" is painting with a bit of wide brush, ain't it :D ?
Ofc he left a hole, but at the same time, Sissoko has stepped up and Winksy established himself bit more. So as I pointed out, I personally would be rahter happy with 2 additional CM's (preferably one being in Gueye mould eg dynamic defensive CM, other being rahter playmaker kinda guy who would dictate tempo from there) + Sissoko, Winks and Dier.

Ok, most!

We have to fill Dembele's spot just to stand still in terms of numbers. Plus we need two more midfield (and possibly a third), if Eriksen and Wanyama go. That's 3 or possibly 4 additional midfielders. I hope our scouts are doing their job.

For me it's Tielemans, Sessegnon, Gotze and Mitrovic (as Kane backup)

It shows what a mammoth task this summer is and what a waste last summer was.

Can you see him staying at Real, picking up 35m a year, and saying I don't care what the manager has said, I'm fighting to get my place back?

Given the very negative comments from Real supporters, which must get to him after a time, I think he desperately wants a move.

But atm his agent is naturally playing hardball with Real and saying he's seeing out his contract

The more Agent says that, the more Real will fund part of his wages to the end of his contract - the Real fans will be on Real management back if Bale stays is the way I read it.

I can see us shaping up more like:

----------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
--------Aurier-------Alderweireld-------Vertonghen --------Davies-----
----------------------------------------Winks-----------------------------------
-------------------Lo Celso-------------------------Ndombele---------------
--------------------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------Dele--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------
--------Foyth-----------Sanchez-------------Dier----------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------------Skipp-------------------------------------
----------------------Lamela-------------------------Sissoko-------------------
-----------Lucas---------------------------------------------------Son----------
---------------------------------------Llorente----------------------------------

KWP, CCV, Parrott and one of our HG 3rd choice goalkeepers (Whiteman or Di Bie) to add depth and competition.

Sadly that would see our outs being Vorm, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Onomah, Edwards, Nkoudou & Janssen out the door.

I would however given the opportunity swap Aurier for Hysaj if I had the chance. Ideal incomings Hysaj, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke for next season and another year of the hunk that is Nando doing his bit for the cause. Diers versatility will save his bacon as he'll offer options mostly as a DM ahead of Skipp but also in CB should Foyth choose to pursue his role as a RB.

Wish you could see how those formations you have written look on my phone.

A lot of ———————————— and a random player name every now and then.

:pochshock2:

I feel a club will offer silly money for Son this summer. If the price is right I think it would be good business.

I don't want to sell him, I'd much rather he was built around but I agree this summer or next a massive bid will come in for him. It's not just his ability it's his marketability in Asia which is only going to grow and is already insane.

OUT
I can't see Wanyama, Llorente, Janssen or Nkoudou being Tottenham players next season. I can also see one of Trippier and Aurier leaving as well. One of them plus KWP would provide good cover for a quality, shiny and new RB.

Then there's Eriksen and Alderweireld. Eriksen leaving would be shit but we'd be compensated enough to buy a quality replacement. Whereas finding a replacement as good as Alderweireld will cost a lot more than what we'd get through selling him. Toby seems keen to stay, apparently it's just his agent that's being a penis. Hopefully he'll agree to stay on for a couple more seasons. Same as Jan. Although at some point we're going to need to sign younger replacements as they are both over 30. Fingers crossed Foyth and Sanchez mature into the role.

Lamela seems to be a pretty divisive bloke on this forum! I don't think he's ever going to be the player we had hoped BUT I think he is a decent squad member as he has pace, flair and skill - however, he's also injured a lot and has the tendency to do stupid shit with the ball. I would definitely keep him though.

IN
Fuck knows. Depends on how much pocket money Levy is going to give Poch.

I'd quite like Icardi (ST), Asensio (LW), Isco (CAM), Ndombele (CM) and Cancelo (RB) 😂

It's never going to happen but it's nice to dream! Who knows, maybe Levy is going to shock us all and give Pochettino a rim job + £300m after we win the Champions League.

Jan 32 - Suspect he stays with us for his career.
Tripps, Rose 29 - Tripps has declined. Rose still has a few good years; great athlete.
Toby 30 - Seems inevitable he will go. My $$ is on a move to Ajax; with De Ligt coming our way.
Sissoko 30 - If we want to recoup any of the 30m, this summer may be the time to do it.
Llorente 34 - Bit part player; if we can't find a big young target man; no issue with 1 more year.
Lloris 32 - Age less a problem for keepers. Is Gaza the intended replacement?
Vorm 35 - replace with a young keeper or promote from academy.

Clearly first priority will be looking at our ageing players to determine if now is the time to 'cash in'.

If there is a major squad rebuilt; it seems sensible to move on the older players now; so the young team can grow together; building the team around Kane, Son and Alli.
Continuity is important, especially if the worst case scenario happens and we lose both Alderweireld and Eriksen.

You're correct in that we need to keep Vertonghen (in an era of United extending Jones and Smalling's contracts, it would be baffling not to do the same with Jan).

I'd also apply that to Sissoko. I know this would probably be about as valuable as he's gonna get on the market, but the value of keeping him around as an option in midfield, and a popular part of the dressing room, is more important in my eyes.

lol @ some of these suggestions.

Let's get rid of POTY and the likely runner up BY CHOICE.

Clearly Vorm is going and I don't think Llorente's contract will be renewed, no matter what he's done for us. If Poch is serious about a new project, there are better Plan B's than Llorente. Janssen and GKN will also follow out the door.

Now for the "harder" part where Poch supposedly refers to (though I'm not sure I've seen any evidence) in getting rid of those who have served well but are not up for the next stage. Wanyama is frontrunner, but as he may not pass a medical, he might just be released. Tough, but what can you do?

Then fullbacks. Trippier has been terrible and I am unsure if Poch will still stick by him, but one of him and Aurier will leave and one of Rose or Davies. We need fresh blood and of the 4, all are really back up.

Lastly, of those we don't want to leave, either or both of Eriksen and Toby will go. If both do, then we'd have lost 7 of the squad and up to 9 if you include Janssen and GKN. That's plenty enough for rebuilding especially as 7 or 8 would be non-HG places.

I think that's realistic. We aren't going to sack off so many players. When it comes down to it of these 9, 2 contracts ended, 2 players who haven't really played at all, 1 whose career is pretty much over, 2 who we intend to sell and 2 who force our hand. It doesn't look that bad when you break it down.

Jesus some of you think it’s like buying new furniture for the House.....one of the reasons (and there were a few) we didn’t sign anyone last summer was the fact we couldn’t get shot of any of the players we wanted out, and nothing says we will find it easy this time around either...the big decisions will be how big a hit we are prepared to take with some of them, or worse still terminate contracts.....I expect 6 out and 3 in at best!

I think you might be disappointed come the end of the summer, then.

Aurier not joining the team in Amsterdam is a big red flag that he's gone, in my opinion.

Sub yesterday. I think he'll be here another year.

Our priorities are not WBs.

We're already running one short with Dembele gone. if Eriksen goes then that's another short in midfield.

We need 2, possibly 3 midfield replacements and a Kane stand in. Llorente and Janssen out.

If Alderweireld goes then we can use Dier as cover, so we need another replacement.

Without trying too hard, that's the 5 changes that any squad can stand in one window. Any more is too disruptive.

Will go:
Janssen
GKN
Wanyama
Trippier/Aurier - Think we will see just one leave
KWP (Doesn’t seem to be wanted)

Maybe:
Davies (can maybe be back up to Vertonghen)
Dier
Llorente
Eriksen (looking likely)
Toby (looking likely)

Think we will get 4 or 5 in, with CM and FB being priority.

I would imagine moving Aurier out is the priority. He cost us £25m, he's taking up a foreign player spot, he's always injured and he's daft as a brush. We don't need him at all.

Trips at least has a reliable delivery in the final third and he's home grown.

Gut tells me Serge has both more assists and goals this year....

Still think Poch prefers KT tho. However creeping age and rumbles of interest from elsewhere suggest he's the more likely to leave.

Back
Top Bottom