Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We don't need wholesale changes, we performed well below our usual levels last season at times but injuries, Wembley and lack of pre season and international call ups for the likes of son did not help.

I think wanyama needs to be moved on, such a shame but he is nowhere near the levels of two seasons ago. If trippier goes I can see Foyth getting more game time.

The eriksen situation needs sorting, but even if he stays I would like to see someone come in who can challenge him and dele for their starting position. A young hungry replacement for llorente would be a good addition funded by moving nkoudo and Jansen on

Other than the obvious deadwood, Janssen, N'koudou, Vorm, Llorente and the possible departures of Alderweireld and Eriksen, we need to be very careful about who we sell.

Running with such a thin squad as last season should not be repeated.

As I've said many times, a squad deep enough to sustain us through injuries, suspensions and lack of form.

I know we can't wind back the clock 12 months, but shouldn't we have been this active then?

So the squad looks like it's shaping up like this if all the ins and outs go to plan

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Sessegnon
Winks
Lo Celso Ndombele
Eriksen Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga
KWP Sanchez Foyth Davies
Dier
Sissoko Skipp
Moura Lamela
Son
That's a strong 22 with the ability to change formations and tactics. Poch says he wants a 25 man squad so maybe we have room for one more signing and a couple of exciting kids from the yoofs

So the squad looks like it's shaping up like this if all the ins and outs go to plan

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Sessegnon
Winks
Lo Celso Ndombele
Eriksen Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga
KWP Sanchez Foyth Davies
Dier
Sissoko Skipp
Moura Lamela
Son
That's a strong 22 with the ability to change formations and tactics. Poch says he wants a 25 man squad so maybe we have room for one more signing and a couple of exciting kids from the yoofs

I can see us shaping up more like:

----------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
--------Aurier-------Alderweireld-------Vertonghen --------Davies-----
----------------------------------------Winks-----------------------------------
-------------------Lo Celso-------------------------Ndombele---------------
--------------------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------Dele--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------
--------Foyth-----------Sanchez-------------Dier----------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------------Skipp-------------------------------------
----------------------Lamela-------------------------Sissoko-------------------
-----------Lucas---------------------------------------------------Son----------
---------------------------------------Llorente----------------------------------

KWP, CCV, Parrott and one of our HG 3rd choice goalkeepers (Whiteman or Di Bie) to add depth and competition.

Sadly that would see our outs being Vorm, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Onomah, Edwards, Nkoudou & Janssen out the door.

I would however given the opportunity swap Aurier for Hysaj if I had the chance. Ideal incomings Hysaj, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke for next season and another year of the hunk that is Nando doing his bit for the cause. Diers versatility will save his bacon as he'll offer options mostly as a DM ahead of Skipp but also in CB should Foyth choose to pursue his role as a RB.

I can see us shaping up more like:

----------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
--------Aurier-------Alderweireld-------Vertonghen --------Davies-----
----------------------------------------Winks-----------------------------------
-------------------Lo Celso-------------------------Ndombele---------------
--------------------------------Eriksen-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------Dele--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Kane------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Gazzaniga----------------------------------
--------Foyth-----------Sanchez-------------Dier----------Sessegnon-----
----------------------------------------Skipp-------------------------------------
----------------------Lamela-------------------------Sissoko-------------------
-----------Lucas---------------------------------------------------Son----------
---------------------------------------Llorente----------------------------------

KWP, CCV, Parrott and one of our HG 3rd choice goalkeepers (Whiteman or Di Bie) to add depth and competition.

Sadly that would see our outs being Vorm, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Onomah, Edwards, Nkoudou & Janssen out the door.

I would however given the opportunity swap Aurier for Hysaj if I had the chance. Ideal incomings Hysaj, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke for next season and another year of the hunk that is Nando doing his bit for the cause. Diers versatility will save his bacon as he'll offer options mostly as a DM ahead of Skipp but also in CB should Foyth choose to pursue his role as a RB.

Wish you could see how those formations you have written look on my phone.

A lot of ———————————— and a random player name every now and then.

:pochshock2:

Especially when you're looking at @£40m for Ake (don't rate him) and £80m for Maguire (Worth 40m tops IMO)

Absolutely. People need to accept that we have to work to a budget. If Lo Celso, Clarke, Ndombele and Sessegnon come in we are looking at upwards of £160m without sales. If we want to add further quality it's rumoured to be £30m for Saliba, £50m option to buy with Ceballos etc. If we are investing in this kind of quality we need to be cuter in other areas like utilising our academy prospects or versatile players such as Dier.

For me players like Dier, Trippier when he was here are vitally important. Peanut prices in today's market and you know they'll do a job. Without them simp,y put we wouldn't be able to fork out for the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko, Ndombele the big money signings we've made etc.

Back
Top Bottom