Question for you...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well the whole thing feels like a dreadful alternative world now, I get the feeling I would need to write a TV series based on it with homage to 'The Man in the High Castle' but keeping it local and to avoid copy write laws I will be calling it 'The Man in the Bruce Castle'...

This is a really interesting question, I'd not thought of this before. My first thought is that I would follow Tottenham to Stratford however, I can't really be sure of that with a ground roots club rising from the ashes of Tottenham (so to speak).

Perhaps I would have rekindled old acquaintances at Wealdstone, not sure to be honest.

Never believed it would happen and think it was just a negotiating ploy to get agreement for what the club wanted in Tottenham. At that time we were being asked for massive amounts of money for infrastructure outside the ground. It was getting as if it would never happen.

Same. Was never a genuine thing in my opinion.

Anyhow. Had it somehow happened I think I would have carried on. Geographically this is not a Wimbledon/MK move. It's a few miles, and we have a fan base spanning most of it with many from outside to the North and East especially.

Also I do lol a bit at this E and N postcode line divide being mentioned, as if it's the North South Korea boarder or something... lots of Spurs in East and Essex way.

latest

I don't really see it as north London club, south London club etc. You're talking a matter of 3 miles. Fan bases for London clubs stretch all over London and the suburbs..
Might as well have groundshared the emirates this season too while we're at it....

The point isn't just the distance. People have spent generations walking the same paths to WHL. How is going to West Ham to watch Spurs no different?!

Plus I think there is a sense of irony about fans, many of whom no longer (or never did) live in the area saying they wouldn't support the club being elsewhere in London and would choose FC Hotspur despite they themselves being outside of the catchment area.
I think for many of us it just strikes at a tribal sense of territory. I've got various links to Tottenham but I think you don't need to be from the area to have a sense of it as ours. I know someone from up north who was present at the Stratford protest. There's probably an evolutionary explanation for it- football brings up these emotions of tribe and community and linked to that is an area. Not for everybody but for some of us.

Might as well have groundshared the emirates this season too while we're at it....

The point isn't just the distance. People have spent generations walking the same paths to WHL. How is going to West Ham to watch Spurs no different?!

Oye I agree that's why I wouldn't want us to move. I just mean distance wise it's not a big deal.

The main thing I miss about whl is the area. Stratford is a soulless wasteland with no community.

Got a JOHN Lewis though...

Same. Was never a genuine thing in my opinion.

Anyhow. Had it somehow happened I think I would have carried on. Geographically this is not a Wimbledon/MK move. It's a few miles, and we have a fan base spanning most of it with many from outside to the North and East especially.

Also I do lol a bit at this E and N postcode line divide being mentioned, as if it's the North South Korea boarder or something... lots of Spurs in East and Essex way.

3 of the clubs shops are here in Essex! I think some people think Hertfordshire is the only catchment area!

Was having this discussion on the train back from Manchester on Saturday...

If we had moved to Stratford (let's say without the running track) and a phoenix club (FC Hotspur) based in Tottenham had been formed starting right at the bottom of the pyramid, which club would you have followed?

For me, FC Hotspur. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we didn't get the OS and can continue as THFC in Tottenham (best thing that's ever happened), BUT as well as the fact that I could not follow an East London club, I can actually see the attraction of being a small club of proper, hardcore supporters away from all the trappings of modern football. FC United of Manchester fans look like they have more fun than most of the home supporters looked like they were doing at a soulless Old Trafford on Sat.

Interested in opinions...

Lewes FC

I think for many of us it just strikes at a tribal sense of territory. I've got various links to Tottenham but I think you don't need to be from the area to have a sense of it as ours. I know someone from up north who was present at the Stratford protest. There's probably an evolutionary explanation for it- football brings up these emotions of tribe and community and linked to that is an area. Not for everybody but for some of us.
I get that. But I was born in Enfield, grew up on in North London and have continued to live in London ever since. My parents are from Chingford. So I'm one of those that should in theory be there with you on that, but I think there is more to the club that just where in Greater London it sits. I wouldn't like the move but it wouldn't be enough to turn me away.

if it were in that shambles of an OS, I'd only be going to away matches.

but the deal with Stratford was to build identical to NDP. I'd've been ok with that. I think its 10 mins Northumberland Pk to Stratford on train.

we just need Northumberland Park tube depot to be converted to a tube station on the Vic line. 61,000 going to WHL overground or Tottenham Hale tube will be a right pain.

I get that. But I was born in Enfield, grew up on in North London and have continued to live in London ever since. My parents are from Chingford. So I'm one of those that should in theory be there with you on that, but I think there is more to the club that just where in Greater London it sits. I wouldn't like the move but it wouldn't be enough to turn me away.
Yes I agree there is more to the club. But personally I think it would be the hardest thing to deal with... for instance I could watch us play 10 years of Sam Allardyce type football which goes against our footballing traditions (even though I wouldn't like it), but I'd find it hard, maybe impossible, to watch us in South/East/West London. Maybe someone else would be the opposite.

I guess the club means slightly different things to each one of us (with there being different sub-groups within our support of more likeminded people) but we are all bonded by our love for the club.

if it were in that shambles of an OS, I'd only be going to away matches.

but the deal with Stratford was to build identical to NDP. I'd've been ok with that. I think its 10 mins Northumberland Pk to Stratford on train.

we just need Northumberland Park tube depot to be converted to a tube station on the Vic line. 61,000 going to WHL overground or Tottenham Hale tube will be a right pain.
Just like the good 'ole days.....
c7bee7f6e8251ac319d16670f93e01a7--high-road-warsaw.jpg

I never thought about it as I never thought it would happen.

But I think I'd still stick with the club, but it would lose some shine

Back
Top Bottom