Question for you...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whilst it was all going on (bid to the bowl) I was sticking my chest out and beating it saying I couldn't support a franchise of Tottenham. But let's be honest, I guess I'm no different to any of you, the club has been the only constant in my life. It's the only thing that I have been obsessed with, it's ingrained into my life and now my family. Can you just switch that off? Games still getting played, same players still wearing the shirt, Kane still scoring against the scum. How do you turn your back on that?

Thank fuck we will never know.

Not from North London, but the spirirt and traditions of the club are no less important to me.

I would have likely seen it as a a case of money > football and walked away in the immediate term.

I think id have been in 'mourning'; probably fall out of love with the game but eventually see what Hotspur FC is all about IF the itch ever returned.

Was having this discussion on the train back from Manchester on Saturday...

If we had moved to Stratford (let's say without the running track) and a phoenix club (FC Hotspur) based in Tottenham had been formed starting right at the bottom of the pyramid, which club would you have followed?

For me, FC Hotspur. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we didn't get the OS and can continue as THFC in Tottenham (best thing that's ever happened), BUT as well as the fact that I could not follow an East London club, I can actually see the attraction of being a small club of proper, hardcore supporters away from all the trappings of modern football. FC United of Manchester fans look like they have more fun than most of the home supporters looked like they were doing at a soulless Old Trafford on Sat.

Interested in opinions...

Mmmm Heart says FC Hotspur,head says THFC
Though a major part of the later would have a died and i wouldn't have set foot in the OS.
As for following a smaller club,plenty out there to have an affair with.Lower league football is great and made me realise i still love football in general and not just Spurs....The Sky/Premiership union of evil did start to make question whether i was still a fan of the game in general.

FC Hotspur although thankfully I will never have that decision to make. It's a simple geography thing. Don't think I could ever have gone and watched Tottenham Hotspur FC in East London. I have no doubt Levy would have made a superb purpose built football stadium similar to what we are seeing go up now however thankfully the powers that be decided they wanted the athletics legacy to remain and I will always be thankful for that. Football fans in London have always made the area you are from be of huge importance to where they are based. Changing postcodes e.g from an N to an E just shouldn't happen. Never. Not sure if other cities like Rome, Madrid etc have the same strict boundaries they have to keep to.

FC Hotspur. Don't see how we could remain Tottenham Hotspur if we don't play in Tottenham, might have involved a name change ala Woolwich, MK Dons.
I remember this debate. The reason I don't agree with you is that it limits a clubs potential based on a name. Everton, for instance, should only be able to build a new stadium in the Everton area, but Liverpool have the whole city to build one. Villa must remain in the Aston area, yet Birmingham have 100 square miles to find a site.
I could go on. The clubs roots would always be in Tottenham, but the vast majority of our fans have no links to the area of Tottenham. Anyway, hypothetical argument now.

Well the whole thing feels like a dreadful alternative world now, I get the feeling I would need to write a TV series based on it with homage to 'The Man in the High Castle' but keeping it local and to avoid copy write laws I will be calling it 'The Man in the Bruce Castle'...

Plus I think there is a sense of irony about fans, many of whom no longer (or never did) live in the area saying they wouldn't support the club being elsewhere in London and would choose FC Hotspur despite they themselves being outside of the catchment area.
I think for many of us it just strikes at a tribal sense of territory. I've got various links to Tottenham but I think you don't need to be from the area to have a sense of it as ours. I know someone from up north who was present at the Stratford protest. There's probably an evolutionary explanation for it- football brings up these emotions of tribe and community and linked to that is an area. Not for everybody but for some of us.

Was having this discussion on the train back from Manchester on Saturday...

If we had moved to Stratford (let's say without the running track) and a phoenix club (FC Hotspur) based in Tottenham had been formed starting right at the bottom of the pyramid, which club would you have followed?

For me, FC Hotspur. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we didn't get the OS and can continue as THFC in Tottenham (best thing that's ever happened), BUT as well as the fact that I could not follow an East London club, I can actually see the attraction of being a small club of proper, hardcore supporters away from all the trappings of modern football. FC United of Manchester fans look like they have more fun than most of the home supporters looked like they were doing at a soulless Old Trafford on Sat.

Interested in opinions...
FC Hotspur

Option C an other-Southend FC as the club is now my local club. If we moved to Stratford or joined a European super league or bought by an Oil baron pretty sure this is the way I would go.

Never believed it would happen and think it was just a negotiating ploy to get agreement for what the club wanted in Tottenham. At that time we were being asked for massive amounts of money for infrastructure outside the ground. It was getting as if it would never happen.

I remember this debate. The reason I don't agree with you is that it limits a clubs potential based on a name. Everton, for instance, should only be able to build a new stadium in the Everton area, but Liverpool have the whole city to build one. Villa must remain in the Aston area, yet Birmingham have 100 square miles to find a site.
I could go on. The clubs roots would always be in Tottenham, but the vast majority of our fans have no links to the area of Tottenham. Anyway, hypothetical argument now.
That's fair enough but i happen to think our name means everything, we are Tottenham Hotspur not Stratford Hotspur, Kensington Hotspur, Richmond Hotspur. It's important for me for a club to remain as close to it's roots as possible but i understand not everyone feels that way.
Isn't it also why we give Woolwich so much stick as well.

Would have been dead handy for me at Stratford, but no, no & thrice no.
I’ve got the collywobbles over the New WHL.
I think THFC would have died in everything but name had we moved east. May as well have relocated to China...

The romantic choice is FC Hotspur, but I would stick with THFC. That is the club I have supported for decades and that club is more than just it's location. Plus I think there is a sense of irony about fans, many of whom no longer (or never did) live in the area saying they wouldn't support the club being elsewhere in London and would choose FC Hotspur despite they themselves being outside of the catchment area.

Back
Top Bottom