Question for you...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was having this discussion on the train back from Manchester on Saturday...

If we had moved to Stratford (let's say without the running track) and a phoenix club (FC Hotspur) based in Tottenham had been formed starting right at the bottom of the pyramid, which club would you have followed?

For me, FC Hotspur. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we didn't get the OS and can continue as THFC in Tottenham (best thing that's ever happened), BUT as well as the fact that I could not follow an East London club, I can actually see the attraction of being a small club of proper, hardcore supporters away from all the trappings of modern football. FC United of Manchester fans look like they have more fun than most of the home supporters looked like they were doing at a soulless Old Trafford on Sat.

Interested in opinions...

Was having this discussion on the train back from Manchester on Saturday...

If we had moved to Stratford (let's say without the running track) and a phoenix club (FC Hotspur) based in Tottenham had been formed starting right at the bottom of the pyramid, which club would you have followed?

For me, FC Hotspur. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we didn't get the OS and can continue as THFC in Tottenham (best thing that's ever happened), BUT as well as the fact that I could not follow an East London club, I can actually see the attraction of being a small club of proper, hardcore supporters away from all the trappings of modern football. FC United of Manchester fans look like they have more fun than most of the home supporters looked like they were doing at a soulless Old Trafford on Sat.

Interested in opinions...
FC Hotspur

Not from North London, but the spirirt and traditions of the club are no less important to me.

I would have likely seen it as a a case of money > football and walked away in the immediate term.

I think id have been in 'mourning'; probably fall out of love with the game but eventually see what Hotspur FC is all about IF the itch ever returned.

Whilst it was all going on (bid to the bowl) I was sticking my chest out and beating it saying I couldn't support a franchise of Tottenham. But let's be honest, I guess I'm no different to any of you, the club has been the only constant in my life. It's the only thing that I have been obsessed with, it's ingrained into my life and now my family. Can you just switch that off? Games still getting played, same players still wearing the shirt, Kane still scoring against the scum. How do you turn your back on that?

Thank fuck we will never know.

Mmmm Heart says FC Hotspur,head says THFC
Though a major part of the later would have a died and i wouldn't have set foot in the OS.
As for following a smaller club,plenty out there to have an affair with.Lower league football is great and made me realise i still love football in general and not just Spurs....The Sky/Premiership union of evil did start to make question whether i was still a fan of the game in general.

Option C an other-Southend FC as the club is now my local club. If we moved to Stratford or joined a European super league or bought by an Oil baron pretty sure this is the way I would go.

THFC, the club moving a few miles wouldn't have changed so much that I wouldn't support them.
Fair enough- all about opinions. For me it wasn't so much the distance as where it was, Stratford being West Ham's manor, not ours. I would have been able to grudgingly accept moving to another part of North London, even if it was further away, or even out to South Hertfordshire. Which is strange in many ways, but it's the way I see it. Football is a funny game as are the emotions it stirs in us.

I don't see people who would have followed the club to Stratford as less of a fan. In some cases, like you, they are very loyal fans. It's just different fans see things in a different way...for me the local identity/tribal geography (for want of a better term) aspect of the club is of utmost importance.

Mmmm Heart says FC Hotspur,head says THFC
Though a major part of the later would have a died and i wouldn't have set foot in the OS.
As for following a smaller club,plenty out there to have an affair with.Lower league football is great and made me realise i still love football in general and not just Spurs....The Sky/Premiership union of evil did start to make question whether i was still a fan of the game in general.
Haha no affairs here mate I'm too faithful, not even a non-league one night stand...though I agree with you when I've been with mates of different clubs lower league football is great.

Option C an other-Southend FC as the club is now my local club. If we moved to Stratford or joined a European super league or bought by an Oil baron pretty sure this is the way I would go.
Again, fair enough, I can remember a few people saying they would choose that sort of option in the midst of the Stratford saga. I have two friends that support Southend and I must have been to watch them 30+ times over the years, their away fans are fantastic IMO.

I have Canvey Island FC to fall back on too i guess (whom i watch occasionally anyway)....

Again, fair enough, I can remember a few people saying they would choose that sort of option in the midst of the Stratford saga. I have two friends that support Southend and I must have been to watch them 30+ times over the years, their away fans are fantastic IMO.

Lol... No doubt... Must be a right rabble!

Never believed it would happen and think it was just a negotiating ploy to get agreement for what the club wanted in Tottenham. At that time we were being asked for massive amounts of money for infrastructure outside the ground. It was getting as if it would never happen.

FC Hotspur although thankfully I will never have that decision to make. It's a simple geography thing. Don't think I could ever have gone and watched Tottenham Hotspur FC in East London. I have no doubt Levy would have made a superb purpose built football stadium similar to what we are seeing go up now however thankfully the powers that be decided they wanted the athletics legacy to remain and I will always be thankful for that. Football fans in London have always made the area you are from be of huge importance to where they are based. Changing postcodes e.g from an N to an E just shouldn't happen. Never. Not sure if other cities like Rome, Madrid etc have the same strict boundaries they have to keep to.

Never believed it would happen and think it was just a negotiating ploy to get agreement for what the club wanted in Tottenham. At that time we were being asked for massive amounts of money for infrastructure outside the ground. It was getting as if it would never happen.
I've heard people say that now, personally I don't believe it for a second. Why would Spurs be spying on West Ham's bid if they weren't serious and it was all a bluff?

FC Hotspur although thankfully I will never have that decision to make. It's a simple geography thing. Don't think I could ever have gone and watched Tottenham Hotspur FC in East London. I have no doubt Levy would have made a superb purpose built football stadium similar to what we are seeing go up now however thankfully the powers that be decided they wanted the athletics legacy to remain and I will always be thankful for that. Football fans in London have always made the area you are from be of huge importance to where they are based. Changing postcodes e.g from an N to an E just shouldn't happen. Never. Not sure if other cities like Rome, Madrid etc have the same strict boundaries they have to keep to.
Exactly how I feel. Might just be a London thing but would be interesting to know about other cities too.

Exactly how I feel. Might just be a London thing but would be interesting to know about other cities too.
Just checked the location of Atletico Madrid's new stadium in comparison to the Vicente Calderon. Would say the distance is about 7-8km away as the crow flies. Basically moved from Central Madrid out to the Eastern suburbs by the looks of it.

Back
Top Bottom