Question for you...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FC Hotspur. Don't see how we could remain Tottenham Hotspur if we don't play in Tottenham, might have involved a name change ala Woolwich, MK Dons.
I remember this debate. The reason I don't agree with you is that it limits a clubs potential based on a name. Everton, for instance, should only be able to build a new stadium in the Everton area, but Liverpool have the whole city to build one. Villa must remain in the Aston area, yet Birmingham have 100 square miles to find a site.
I could go on. The clubs roots would always be in Tottenham, but the vast majority of our fans have no links to the area of Tottenham. Anyway, hypothetical argument now.

I remember this debate. The reason I don't agree with you is that it limits a clubs potential based on a name. Everton, for instance, should only be able to build a new stadium in the Everton area, but Liverpool have the whole city to build one. Villa must remain in the Aston area, yet Birmingham have 100 square miles to find a site.
I could go on. The clubs roots would always be in Tottenham, but the vast majority of our fans have no links to the area of Tottenham. Anyway, hypothetical argument now.
That's fair enough but i happen to think our name means everything, we are Tottenham Hotspur not Stratford Hotspur, Kensington Hotspur, Richmond Hotspur. It's important for me for a club to remain as close to it's roots as possible but i understand not everyone feels that way.
Isn't it also why we give Woolwich so much stick as well.

That's fair enough but i happen to think our name means everything, we are Tottenham Hotspur not Stratford Hotspur, Kensington Hotspur, Richmond Hotspur. It's important for me for a club to remain as close to it's roots as possible but i understand not everyone feels that way.
I agree we are Tottenham Hotspur, and wherever we built a stadium the name should never change.

Remember this being talked about a lot on DML back in the day.

I always thought if we moved I would still go there because.... well it’s Spurs, it’s what I do and have done most of my life. So be hard to change that habit of a lifetime. The badge and the shirt would still be the same (maybe).

But the Say no to Stratford campaign really hit it on the head for me. We are North London.

Someone pointing out how would you feel at the first NLD in Stratford? And then forever after that? Really how would that feel?

It just wouldn’t be the same.

I always thought Levy was bluffing a bit though. Remember him saying we would never redevelop in Tottenham even if the OS bid failed. All bargaining chips at the end of the day.

Thank fuck history will laugh at the joke of a football stadium West Ham got and look upon our stadium with awe.

From where I live now both are/would have been a pain in the arse to get too so probably wouldn't have made any difference. Would have followed both clubs but still mainly THFC.
Grew up more NW London so again don't have that local connection.

Would have been dead handy for me at Stratford, but no, no & thrice no.
I’ve got the collywobbles over the New WHL.
I think THFC would have died in everything but name had we moved east. May as well have relocated to China...

The romantic choice is FC Hotspur, but I would stick with THFC. That is the club I have supported for decades and that club is more than just it's location. Plus I think there is a sense of irony about fans, many of whom no longer (or never did) live in the area saying they wouldn't support the club being elsewhere in London and would choose FC Hotspur despite they themselves being outside of the catchment area.

It would have killed it for me. I don’t really give a fuck about modern football and Tottenham moving out of Tottenham would have been the end for me. I suppose I would still have watched on TV when the opportunity arose, but I would never have travelled to Stratford. It’s not just the club, but the area that does it for me.

Back
Top Bottom