Pre-Season 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or maybe he's a 20 year old who barely played for us last season who is sort of being converted into a different position?

I'm not saying one way or another but he's just so young and needs to be playing games, not spending whole seasons on the bench.

Agreed. I don’t know when supporters started expecting 18-23 year olds to be top level from the beginning. Players need to develop.

Little known fact: Robert Lewandowski scored 9 goals in 43 games for Dortmund when he was 22 years old. Today’s supporters would say he is shit.

Complete and utter wankers that label kids that young.

I am calm, it doesn't mean that you can't have observations about the game.

I am not sure what the point is of brushing everything off as its pre-season as though players not being able to do simple things is because it is pre-season.

I just don't get the melting.
We've done some solid business so far this summer and looks like we aren't done yet.
This is just a pre-season game, he isn't playing our key creative players.
This is just a chance to get a look at the kids and boost fitness.
Why read so much into it?

Barring Dier, Cirkin and maybe Lucas, Mourinho and the club should be looking to move on everyone else who started that first half, be it on loan or permanently.

Aurier - crap and already leaving
CCV- should get a decent championship/lower premier league move
Sissoko - no need to elaborate
White - okay but very green, loan
Clarke - looks so out of his depth it’s painful
Gedson - woeful, loan should be terminated
Sess - I think we need to make the decision to develop him as a left back, or cut our losses because he isn’t anywhere near a premier league level winger/wide forward

We need to be ruthless and willing to cut our losses on some of the above, because they shouldn’t still be here come the end of the window.

phhhhhhhhhttttt.

Luckily this will never be a spurs first 11. only one who i thought could be classed as good was Dier. Its a pre season friendly, not sure what i expected really.

Cirkin and White really impressing today. Don't think CCV has put a foot wrong either. They are the positives from the younger players today.

Gedson, Clarke and Sessegnon disappointing so far.

I just don't get the melting.
We've done some solid business so far this summer and looks like we aren't done yet.
This is just a pre-season game, he isn't playing our key creative players.
This is just a chance to get a look at the kids and boost fitness.
Why read so much into it?

What melting? That is just made up by you.

Making observations about this game, especially when the play we are seeing matches to what we have seen in the past, is nothing close to melting.

I don't get so many posters rush to cry about melting when people aren't only providing super homer view points.

If players cannot make simple passes to one another, can't run into to open spaces or can't be bothered to track back that isn't "reading so much into" and it isn't because they were thrown together. It is making observations on skills that should be easy to execute under any circumstances.

I get that was mostly a bunch of kids and squad players, but it was still pretty tough viewing. A spineless spine of Sissoko, Gedson and Moura with barely a brain cell between them, with a pretty insipid peripheral ensemble.

Personally I didn't hate the idea of Sessegnon, he'd at least produced plenty of tangible stuff at a very early age in a tough league, to suggest there may be something to him, but he's been very underwhelming, Clark even more uninspiring, never really understood that signing, but was prepared to take a watching brief as I'd not really watched anything of him, but now I have I really don't understand it, he's got about 1/10th of the talent Marcus Edwards has; maybe Clarke wears his jeans with a belt and listens to Michael Bubblé, who fucking knows.

I'd only seen bits and bobs of Harvey White prior to these games, but he's looking a lot like he's come off the Harry Winks neat and tidy production line, not a crime, and he might useful, especially if we can sell Winks for 30-40m, but not exactly suck each off material so far.

I am surprised with all the praise for CCV, while he wasn't terrible he had a few poor balls in the few times he was forced to do something.

I think this preseason, if it wasn't already clear, has shown he should be sold as he looks like a Championship level player.

Sess and Clarke’s combined age is still younger than half the posters here but somehow they’re already busts.

Either play them or loan them - Clarke will almost assuredly be loaned out and perhaps Sess will be as well, but I expect the later will feature heavily in cup matches.

He regressed a lot since he joined us, it's completely different player compared to his time in Fulham. I think it's all in his head and in current state he's not gonna improve even training 20h a day. He needs his confidence back, and then we'll be able to judge him. He still is a gem with all the bright future in his hands.
I must confess I didn’t watch loads of him at Fulham, but what exactly are his main strengths? I understand confidence is an issue for him, but he looks to posses little to no pace, looks physically weak, is horrifically one footed, can’t beat a man, doesn’t appear to have a cross in him....?
It just seems baffling to me how highly rated he is/was....

Exactly, you have your agenda.
Nope.
You don't like Mourinho,
Actually I loved Mou on the TV but never wanted him for my club. Accpeted it and what it will bring. Wouldn't mind if he got to wet his expensive whistle on a few players either. So, uhhh...Nope!
you don't like the current squad
Are you happy receiving things of your desire that are of lower quality than you'd prefer? Are you often happy to settle in life? Fair enough. I am not too happy to do that. I wonder how that has worked out for us both in life. I'm gonna go with a 'nope' here too.
your venting about a pre-season game because you haven't been able to vent yet.
Nope. I'm all vented out. I'm the Dalai fucking Lama over here with my acceptance of things are they are. But just because they are as they are doesn't mean I can't point them out. So again, Nope.

Holy shit those Sess and Clarke deals are looking like solid money spent. 35Million early and we should be looking at upwards of 100M in a few years.

Of course all these random Carlos Kickaballs you wank over on a daily basis turn out be world beaters, I'm sure....

Last edited:
One of the concerning things about Sessegnon is that you would think this game (and whole preseason) would be a chance for him to go out there and really show what he has, but he seems happy to just hang out on the outside and not really try to impose himself on a game that he should at least be comfortable at the level of play.

it may just be his personality but I thought he would be doing more to get himself involved and/or using his skill to take guys on.

Back
Top Bottom