Pre season 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kind of disappointed that Spurs are so far away again this year (even further than last,) but with World Cup doubtful we'll be at full strength anyway. Looks like I'll go see Dortmund dismantle Liverpool in Charlotte.
Correct. Because of the World Cup this will be more like an academy cup competition more than anything. Our first team is made up of almost everyone will be competing in the World Cup, just depends who comes home early or not if they represent Spurs or not.

Correct. Because of the World Cup this will be more like an academy cup competition more than anything. Our first team is made up of almost everyone will be competing in the World Cup, just depends who comes home early or not if they represent Spurs or not.

This is going to be PERFECT for the likes of Walker-Peters, Winks, Onomah and Carter-Vickers.

Guess we'll also see the likes of N'Koudou, Foyth, Janssen get game time, perhaps even a look into the shop window for N'Koudou and Janssen if the are still here.

Hopefully Skipp, Edwards, Bennetts etc. all travel to. Guess they'll have to make up the squad.

Who misses the away friendlies against the likes of Stevenage and Leyton Orient?

I went to Brisbane Road back in 2008 when we scored 5 and Bent got a hattrick and it was highly enjoyable. Modric was a class above. It was nice seeing some new signings against shite opposition to heighten our expectations.
Never mind that. What could be better than drinking beer at 4am?
:avbfacepalm::mong:

As of right now no. I didn't contact LA Spurs to get me a ticket because money is tight in the socalspurs household. Destination wedding at the end of June and I can't see myself forking out $90+ to watch our B squad. This decision is killing me. If I do go it'll be a last minute decision.
I hear you. I had not planned on it (mainly due to money) but since my 13 year old daughter loves Barca my wife made the suggestion that I take her. Not sure it will happen yet but I hope so... even to see the B team. Ticket price differences are huge based on the match too. Got 6 tickets for Liverpool/Dortmund in Charlotte in the lowest part of the upper deck for $40 each. Tickets in a similar section at the Rose Bowl are $100 each.

I hear you. I had not planned on it (mainly due to money) but since my 13 year old daughter loves Barca my wife made the suggestion that I take her. Not sure it will happen yet but I hope so... even to see the B team. Ticket price differences are huge based on the match too. Got 6 tickets for Liverpool/Dortmund in Charlotte in the lowest part of the upper deck for $40 each. Tickets in a similar section at the Rose Bowl are $100 each.
A family trip out to LA would be fun for you guys, and to watch a game at the historic Rose Bowl would be great for you also.

A family trip out to LA would be fun for you guys, and to watch a game at the historic Rose Bowl would be great for you also.
Yeah I have never been to California so it would be a fun experience. Unfortunately wouldn't be the entire tribe, just me and the 13 year old... The 10 year old and the twin 9 year olds will be pissed (they were raised right and are Spurs.) Especially the twins, the match is 2 days before their birthday.

Yeah I have never been to California so it would be a fun experience. Unfortunately wouldn't be the entire tribe, just me and the 13 year old... The 10 year old and the twin 9 year olds will be pissed (they were raised right and are Spurs.) Especially the twins, the match is 2 days before their birthday.
You take the risk of having the twins hate you forever. "My dad went to California to watch Spurs and didn't take us"
:dempsey:

You take the risk of having the twins hate you forever. "My dad went to California to watch Spurs and didn't take us"
:dempsey:
Already thought that through.

I'll have to make up for it by taking them to London for a match.
tenor.gif

Ended up forking over a silly amount of money for four tickets in Minneapolis. But my two daughters are burgeoning Spurs fans--one of them will watch every game with me!--so I figured it was worth the treat.

Who misses the away friendlies against the likes of Stevenage and Leyton Orient?
Im sure a Spurs XI will still play these kind of matches. But the modern game means we need maximum international exposure.

And more importantly, our overseas fan base deserve the chance to see the team they love play once in a while.
Those of us in England forget how lucky we are having Spurs right on our doorstep

In the 80s I went to see us against Celtic and Dundee Utd, that's as far as I've travelled for a friendly.
Would really fancy the game in LA, but my problem is always coming over on my own, so unless I have a lottery win before the game, going to have to give this a miss :(

Da_gXzcW4AAENdM.jpg

AS Roma, FC Barcelona and AC Milan

Now the World Cup Group Stages are out of the way, the squad for the games in the US is starting to take shape.

The following players are back to start training next week and will form the core squad for the first USA match on 25 July :

GK's - Vorm, Gazzaniga,
CB's - Foyth, Carter-Vickers
FB's - Aurier, Walker-Peters, Davies
CM's - Wanyama, Winks, Onomah
AM's - Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, N’Koudou,
Fwds - Janssen, Llorente

Son (South Korea) did not make it through the group stages so after 21 days holiday will fit in about a week's training before first match on 25 July, and so is likely to figure in that match, but maybe for only 45 minutes.

Expect to see a few Development players join that squad, possibly :

GK's - Whiteman, Austin
Defenders - Tanganga (but maybe called up for E u19's which overlaps the US tour), Dinzeyi Brown,
CM's - Amos, Oakley-Boothe
AM's - Georgiou, Shashoua, Edwards
Fwds - Sterling, Griffiths (?).

That excludes any incoming transfers not playing at the World Cup signed in the next few weeks - and indeed includes a few players who might be sold in the next couple of weeks (eg Janssen)

Any players playing for countries knocked out in the round of last 16, after a 21 days holiday break would have almost no pre-season training for the first match on 25th and maybe only a couple of days for the match on 28th.

When the other players will be available to play depends on when the country they play for gets knocked out :
England - Kane, Dele, Dier, Rose.Trippier
Belgium - Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Dembele
France - Lloris
Colombia - Sanchez
Denmark - Eriksen

And those 11 internationals pretty much make up a decent first team.

Again , subject to any transfers in and out.

Last edited:
Im sure a Spurs XI will still play these kind of matches. But the modern game means we need maximum international exposure.

And more importantly, our overseas fan base deserve the chance to see the team they love play once in a while.
Those of us in England forget how lucky we are having Spurs right on our doorstep

giphy.gif

I think me and JT have temporarily swapped personalities!

I understand that these overseas pre-season tours / tournements are now solely a commercial exercice, raising profile and global branding etc...

But could there be any clearer example of how little interest we have in using "competitive" pre season fixtures as a means of preparation and gaining match sharpness, than taking a squad with less than 5 actual first team players in it?

Timing of the WC cannot be helped i understand and perhaps the current coaching set up puts no stock in pre season games as a means of preventing our dreaded "slow start" syndrome.

Perhaps he has no choice in the matter and DL is leading the charge on this one.

giphy.gif

I think me and JT have temporarily swapped personalities!

I understand that these overseas pre-season tours / tournements are now solely a commercial exercice, raising profile and global branding etc...

But could there be any clearer example of how little interest we have in using "competitive" pre season fixtures as a means of preparation and gaining match sharpness, than taking a squad with less than 5 actual first team players in it?

Timing of the WC cannot be helped i understand and perhaps the current coaching set up puts no stock in pre season games as a means of preventing our dreaded "slow start" syndrome.

Perhaps he has no choice in the matter and DL is leading the charge on this one.

The World Cup is a given as well as the need to give the players 21 days rest/holiday after their national team is out of it (or wins the world cup), which means that for those who play for countries which are knocked out in say the quart finals, the players start their pre-season almost at the end of July.....and the season starts in mid August so a number of the players will start the season not fully fit.

So for clubs with lots of international players like Spurs, expect a slow start to the season.

For fans anxious for a fast start to the season.....find a club with few international players or international players who play for countries knocked out in the group stages ! Those are the only clubs who will be able to start with a fully fit side raring to go !

The World Cup is a given as well as the need to give the players 21 days rest/holiday after their national team is out of it (or wins the world cup), which means that for those who play for countries which are knocked out in say the quart finals, the players start their pre-season almost at the end of July.....and the season starts in mid August so a number of the players will start the season not fully fit.

So for clubs with lots of international players like Spurs, expect a slow start to the season.

For fans anxious for a fast start to the season.....find a club with few international players or international players who play for countries knocked out in the group stages ! Those are the only clubs who will be able to start with a fully fit side raring to go !

Yes as i said, the timing of the World Cup can not be helped, but what about the pre-seasons without a tournament in the way?

It's not a new issue. Fans have been saying for years that cash generating glossy US / South East Asian tournaments may be good for website clicks and shirt sales but don't really do much to prepare the players for going into competitive football.

Good for team building i suppose, not like we are lacking that though?

Back
Top Bottom