Pre season 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Although out of the entire first XI Ben Davies may be the only one available with the others all likely to play at the World Cup.

World Cup Timetable :
Group games - 15th to 28th June
Last 16 games - 30 June to 3 July
Q/F games - 6th and 7th July
S/F games - 10th and 11th July
Final & 3rd place - 14th and 15th July

Add on 14 days holiday break for the players and any player whose country loses in the quarter finals or before can make the games - so its only those players from the top 4 countries squads who might not make the games in late July (say 25th July onward).

So I'd guess we will have at least a dozen first team squad players available for the first game in the International Champions Tournament - Davies, Lucas, Winks and Lamela unlikely to be at the World Cup to start with - and if England (5 players) and/or Belgium (3 players) do not make the last 4 it will definitely be more plus the likes of Walker-Peters, Onomah, Carter-Vickers and even Jannsen and N'Koudou if we need them.

World Cup Timetable :
Group games - 15th to 28th June
Last 16 games - 30 June to 3 July
Q/F games - 6th and 7th July
S/F games - 10th and 11th July
Final & 3rd place - 14th and 15th July

Add on 14 days holiday break for the players and any player whose country loses in the quarter finals or before can make the games - so its only those players from the top 4 countries squads who might not make the games in late July (say 25th July onward).

So I'd guess we will have at least a dozen first team squad players available for the first game in the International Champions Tournament - Davies, Lucas, Winks and Lamela unlikely to be at the World Cup to start with - and if England (5 players) and/or Belgium (3 players) do not make the last 4 it will definitely be more plus the likes of Walker-Peters, Onomah, Carter-Vickers and even Jannsen and N'Koudou if we need them.
I think it's 21 days in general, and in any case I doubt we'd bring someone into matches straight away with zero training. I'd be inclined to say that anyone featuring in the Last 16 is unlikely to make the ICC. We'll have a decent team no doubt, but not too many from the first XI itself.

I think it's 21 days in general, and in any case I doubt we'd bring someone into matches straight away with zero training. I'd be inclined to say that anyone featuring in the Last 16 is unlikely to make the ICC. We'll have a decent team no doubt, but not too many from the first XI itself.

Same Tournament, first game in late July 2017 v PSG the line up was :

Spurs (first half): Lloris (c), Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers, Vertonghen, Davies, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Onomah, Nkoudou, Janssen.

Spurs (second half): Vorm, Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Davies, Dembele (Winks 60), Wanyama, Oakley-Boothe, Eriksen, Dele, Kane.

As its early in pre-season some of the players may not have more than a couple of days training before playing 45 minutes, others with more training are likely to play the 90 minutes.

Lilywhite Rose‏ @lilywhite_rose
Our first pre season game will take place in July in the @IntChampionsCup against @acmilan in Minnesota
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
pic.twitter.com/RJRhBAjnpU

DY_soiiX0AM3ChE.jpg

Our second pre season
@IntChampionsCup is set to take place on July 25 against @BVB in Pittsburgh
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
pic.twitter.com/YERkCNy3S2

DZjkPGQX0AArjh1.jpg

Our Final
@IntChampionsCup match is set to take place on July 28 against @FCBarcelona in L.A.
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
pic.twitter.com/WZSZGQKWKG

DaaK3_4W0AALLGR.jpg

I guess the first game will be on July 22, which in turn means that the first match will probably have maybe half a dozen youngsters joining the first team squad as timing will be tight for even those first team players whose countries do not make it out of the Group Stages, so first team players available may well be just those who do not go to the World cup. That might be Rose, Davies, Aurier, Lucas, Winks and Lamela plus fringe players such as Gazanigga, Walker-Peters, Onomah, Carter-Vickers and even Jannsen and N'Koudou if we need them.

Last edited:
The International Champions Cup presented by Heineken is back for 2018 and bigger and better than ever! Tune in for the official schedule reveal on Facebook Live tomorrow at 10:00 AM Eastern Time. You'll also get to hear from some of European soccer's biggest legends during the livestream!

Kind of disappointed that Spurs are so far away again this year (even further than last,) but with World Cup doubtful we'll be at full strength anyway. Looks like I'll go see Dortmund dismantle Liverpool in Charlotte.

Who misses the away friendlies against the likes of Stevenage and Leyton Orient?

I went to Brisbane Road back in 2008 when we scored 5 and Bent got a hattrick and it was highly enjoyable. Modric was a class above. It was nice seeing some new signings against shite opposition to heighten our expectations.

Back
Top Bottom