Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn’t class him as mobile, if you watch him, he continually passes his man on. He can be easy to run past on and off the ball. He can find a pass if he’s got the time and space but he can’t work the ball to make his own space like the top midfielders can. Nothing against the guy and Conte clearly likes him but he’s a fairly average PL midfielder imo
So do Casemiro and Fabinho. Their job is not to stop every runner always. You'll find they fail to do that regularly. They mainly put themselves on the line and try to break the play, slow down the attack, throw players off balance or break the rhythm if possible. Or pull someone's shirt if not. Some can rely then on Van Dijk or Alaba or Varane to sweep up, others have Ben Davies directly behind them.
Fabinho, Rodri - 0 goals this season between them
Hojbjerg - 3 goals this season
Please watch any random top DM performance. You may say they looked shit and did nothing but threw themselves about trying to get the ball, passed sideways or to the nearest player, tried long balls with average success rate and fouled tactically.
Every now and then there is an imperious DM performance and I believe Hojbjerg comes with one on semi regular basis which is as good as it gets for that position.

Last edited:
So do Casemiro and Fabinho. Their job is not to stop every runner ever. You'll find they fail to do that regularly. They mainly put themselves on the line and try to break the play, slow down the attack, throw players off balance or break the rhythm if possible. Or pull someone's shirt if not. Some can rely then on Van Dijk or Alaba or Varane to sweep up, others have Ben Davies directly behind them.
Fabinho, Rodri - 0 goals this season between them
Hojbjerg - 3 goals this season
Please watch any random top DM performance. You may say they looked shit and did nothing but threw themselves about trying to get the ball, passed sideways or to the nearest player, tried long balls with average success rate and fouled tactically.
Every now and then there is an imperious DM performance and I believe Hojbjerg comes with one on semi regular basis which is as good as it gets for that position.
Wouldn’t expect him to stop every runner ever just the player that runs off the back of him. Passing players on when you’re behind the ball is okay and all midfielders do it, but doing it after the ball gets played on the wrong side of you is not the same. He’s nowhere near Fabinho, Casemiro, Rodri no matter how many more goals he has than them.

Just a bit perplexed why he seems so highly rated by a good proportion of our fans. I think he’s okay in most games. I don’t groan when he’s in the team but at the same time I don’t expect much of a contribution in getting us playing through the pitch and dominating in midfield. Just a run of mill centre midfielder to me

Nicely weighted. It’s the difference between time and space though. He’s in a similar area of the pitch for Bournemouths first, gets pressed and coughs up the ball and we concede. a lot of players can pass well with time and space. What separates very good midfielders from the rest is being able to manipulate the ball to play that pass even under pressure.

Nicely weighted. It’s the difference between time and space though. He’s in a similar area of the pitch for Bournemouths first, gets pressed and coughs up the ball and we concede. a lot of players can pass well with time and space. What separates very good midfielders from the rest is being able to manipulate the ball to play that pass even under pressure.

By the time he receives the ball he's already got the pass in mind > Vision.
By the time the ball is released he's got a player ether side of him.

Ergo..... Seeing the pass early negated the incoming pressure.

The pass itself had no room for error and was perfectly angled & weighted and broke three lines of oppo players.

Regardless of what you more broadly feel about the player; that was high-end football in terms of pass (and finish).

By the time he receives the ball he's already got the pass in mind > Vision.
By the time the ball is released he's got a player ether side of him.

Ergo..... Seeing the pass early negated the incoming pressure.

The pass itself had no room for error and was perfectly angled & weighted and broke three lines of oppo players.

Regardless of what you more broadly feel about the player; that was high-end football in terms of pass (and finish).
very good pass no doubt. I feel like he’s better as the game gets stretched late on and he can play more side on and has time on the ball. When its more condensed he can really only play the way he’s facing and is more likely to play negatively and into trouble. Just what I see nothing against the player just a bit overrated imo.

very good pass no doubt. I feel like he’s better as the game gets stretched late on and he can play more side on and has time on the ball. When its more condensed he can really only play the way he’s facing and is more likely to play negatively and into trouble. Just what I see nothing against the player just a bit overrated imo.

I think he's receiving due credit for the way he's played this season (often out-numbered 2 v 3 in MF).

People have stereo-typical ways in which they define players...... In the case of MFs, you're either a shit kicking DM, a lesser spotted DLP or a Maddison/Eriksen-style CAM; else you're perceived to be fundamentally lacking somehow.

The reality is that some managers have bespoke roles they assign to their players and despite having plenty of alt. options Conte always picks PEH. The notion that somehow Spurs aren't playing well because PEH isn't enough of a so-called "baller" is SO 1-dimentional.

(Not necessarily aiming this at you; but there's a collective of posters in this thread that just can't reconcile PEH being a legitimately good player...... There's always chatter of "yeh, but... passing/dribbling/on the turn" and "oh, he's ok, but he's not quite a top/elite player"....... Or that his hips aren't enough like Shakira's! : P )

Last edited:
You can't read obviously. I said he was short of top level ability. As for a failure in life playing pro football dose not equate to either being a failure, top or otherwise, in life. Being a decent compassionate human being is far more a measure and luckily he seems to have the important bit nailed.
Probabaly not 'top' level but he's actually been okay(even good) this season. Have high hopes for Bissouma too but hes not upto speed yet. Bentancur is obviously a superstar. Then we have skipp as well. Its incredible that we used to be quite crap in CM in the last few years and now its the least of our worries.

He's considered one of very top defensive midfielders. European top 20? Premier league top 5? He gets in there.
Maybe there's something you don't understand about his role on the pitch?
I understand what he's good at and what he isn't. His ability can be improved on in our side. He struggles against the very best and this is exacerbated by the system our current coach is using. Other systems would be kinder on him. You are fully allowed to have unalloyed admiration for him, but no matter what people would have you believe online others are fully entitled to their opinions. It doesn’t mean they do not understand they just don't agree with you.

Probabaly not 'top' level but he's actually been okay(even good) this season. Have high hopes for Bissouma too but hes not upto speed yet. Bentancur is obviously a superstar. Then we have skipp as well. Its incredible that we used to be quite crap in CM in the last few years and now its the least of our worries.
I couldn't agree with you more. He is having a very good season and I'm delighted to say it.

You are fully allowed to have unalloyed admiration for him, but no matter what people would have you believe online others are fully entitled to their opinions. It doesn’t mean they do not understand they just don't agree with you.
You said I 'obviously can't read' just before that so assumed you're not easily offended.
Don't give it if you can't take it

I think he's receiving due credit for the way he's played this season (often out-numbered 2 v 3 in MF).

People have stereo-typical ways in which they define players...... You're either a shit kicking DM, a lesser spotted DLP or a Maddison/Eriksen-style CAM or else you're perceived to be fundamentally lacking somehow.

The reality is that some managers have bespoke roles they assign to their players and despite having plenty of alt. options Conte always picks PEH. The idea that somehow Spurs aren't playing well because PEH isn't enough of a so-called baller is SO 1-dimentional.

(Not necessarily aiming this at you; but there's a collective of posters in this thread that just can't reconcile PEH being a legitimately good player...... There's always chatter of "yeh, but... passing/dribbling/on the turn" and "oh, he's ok, but he's not quite a top/elite player"....... Or that his hips aren't enough like Shakira's! : P )
Unless you’re a Kane level player there’s always going to be people who rate certain players and those that don’t and everything in between.

For me anyway the first thing I look for and how I’d initially rate a player is can they handle the ball and play under pressure, if they can’t or don’t do it very well, I’m going to struggle to like that player. It doesn’t matter the position or the role, I think it’s 1 dimensional to think there are roles in a good premier league team that don’t require that. I respect your opinion though just not the biggest fan personally

Unlucky not to get 2 goals, lucky not to break ankle so overall he will take that. The whole team was poor in the first half but him and his pal did the business second half with their runs forward.

He can't really run a midfield due to technical shortcomings, but he's got such insane fitness, he's always up the pitch these kinds of chances late in the game.

He is not a dm. It's no coincidence that when we go on the front foot he looks a much better player. How many goals and assists so far this season?

Back
Top Bottom