Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s not even in our top 3 defensive midfielders
Everyone knows your opinion on Hojbjerg.
I remember Makelele being considered a clogger by a chunk of Madrid fans.
We can wonder how would Fabinho look out in front of Dier/ Lloris instead of Van Dijk/ Allison. Or look at injury record of his or Kante and compare that to Hojbjerg who's last serious sporting injury was an ankle problem 3 years ago when he was still at Southampton and took him 12 days to recover (missed two).
Mind Bissouma, one of top performing DMsin the league, does he look levels above Hojbjerg? More like a raw talent next to a general, that's how they compare so far.
Players like Hojbjerg you easily notice when they're playing for opposing team and get really annoyed by them being everywhere for 90 mins of every game.
You'd hate him more if he wasn't with us.
No doubt I won't change your mind but I really don't think he is our problem , far from it. No complaints about our midfield in general, this is not our problem at the moment.

Last edited:
Everyone knows your opinion on Hojbjerg
He’s clearly not a DM, surely everyone knows that by now? Absolute classy ball for Sess yesterday, thats his position not bustling backwards trying to shuffle his feet and track nimble runners. Man’s an 8, not a DM

He looks a different player (usually in the second half) when we start playing a more attacking game. Brilliant vision and through ball to set us up for the comeback.

Short clip for anyone interested.

Well this just makes me want to go out and buy a Hojbjerg shirt. He’s not just paying lip service to mental health issues, but showing how it should be done - great to hear such openness and vulnerability without self pity.

As a player, he’s always brought that maturity and toughness and you can see where this came from now. This season he’s evolving into being more than just a workhorse with assists and goals. There are still occasionally moments where you wish the ball had been passed somewhere else, but I keep seeing more and more flashes of skill where I think ‘wow, was that just PEH?’

And all the managers love him. I’d really like to see him as captain when Hugo goes, I think he has all the attributes.

He’s clearly not a DM, surely everyone knows that by now? Absolute classy ball for Sess yesterday, thats his position not bustling backwards trying to shuffle his feet and track nimble runners. Man’s an 8, not a DM
It's a spectrum. And very much depends on who's around you both in your and opposing team

He looks a different player (usually in the second half) when we start playing a more attacking game. Brilliant vision and through ball to set us up for the comeback.
He does have good vision and can play some nice forward passes, but he's just too clunky to play in midfield to the required level. He makes a lot of failed passes to get those nice successful ones.

You can literally see how stiff his hips are, he doesn't turn properly. A bit like McGinn.

He does have good vision and can play some nice forward passes, but he's just too clunky to play in midfield to the required level. He makes a lot of failed passes to get those nice successful ones.

You can literally see how stiff his hips are, he doesn't turn properly. A bit like McGinn.
Less of an issue when he’s paired with a DM who covers the back 3 and tracks runners.

"The required level"

"Stiff hips"

Pfffff you lot don't half come up with some fluff to avoid admitting you were wrong about a player!

This is not early 2000's Real Madrid; we don't have a 'galacticos only' recruitment policy.

He's been a top 3 player for us this season. He's good enough.

"The required level"

"Stiff hips"

Pfffff you lot don't half come up with some fluff to avoid admitting you were wrong about a player!

This is not early 2000's Real Madrid; we don't have a 'galacticos only' recruitment policy.

He's been a top 3 player for us this season. He's good enough.

- So PEH isn't good enough for Spurs?

.....But Calvin Phillips, Jack Grealish, Nathan Ake and previously Fabian Delph are good enough for (arguably) the best team in the world?

How you calibrating this exactly?

No idea what that jumbled mass of words mean. I assume you are agreeing that PEH is not a good DM
English is not my first language mate. But you know what a spectrum is? He is a DM, less or more defensive destroyer than others. There's a range of things he can do, ok?

- So PEH isn't good enough for Spurs?

.....But Calvin Phillips, Jack Grealish, Nathan Ake and previously Fabian Delph are good enough for (arguably) the best team in the world?

How you calibrating this exactly?

- Stop blowing kisses....... You're not Igula.....
717-7171817_transparent-balloon-emoji-png-love-you-kiss-emoji.png

On what basis do you conclude PEH isn't good enough for us?

By your logic I struggle to think there are many DMs left in the game at all
Skipp is one. Bissouma is not a perfect DM but possibly above PEH, as is Benta though the latter two are also better as 8’s. I struggle to see any logic to thinking he is a DM. His best assets are clearly driving forward, bustling, nicking balls and pushing on.

Skipp is one. Bissouma is not a perfect DM but possibly above PEH, as is Benta though the latter two are also better as 8’s. I struggle to see any logic to thinking he is a DM. His best assets are clearly driving forward, bustling, nicking balls and pushing on.
I would think also game-reading, strength, aggressiveness, tackling. That he nicks those balls at his top speed and is able to push on or pass forward or shoot is a result of his excellent anticipation of where the ball will be before opposition can get it there. Good DM skill although harder to see than just an old school crunching tackle. Which he is no stranger to...
He is able to play 8 but in my book a classic 8 he is not. He is no Lampard or Kroos, more defensively minded. And being mobile and able to find a pass does not disqualify a DM.
Let's agree to disagree on this and not go round in circles on this.
You clearly think he's rubbish, I rate him. That's all

I wouldn’t class him as mobile, if you watch him, he continually passes his man on. He can be easy to run past on and off the ball. He can find a pass if he’s got the time and space but he can’t work the ball to make his own space like the top midfielders can. Nothing against the guy and Conte clearly likes him but he’s a fairly average PL midfielder imo

Last edited:
I would think also game-reading, strength, aggressiveness, tackling. That he nicks those balls at his top speed and is able to push on or pass forward or shoot is a result of his excellent anticipation of where the ball will be before opposition can get it there. Good DM skill although harder to see than just an old school crunching tackle. Which he is no stranger to...
He is able to play 8 but in my book a classic 8 he is not. He is no Lampard or Kroos, more defensively minded. And being mobile and able to find a pass does not disqualify a DM.
Let's agree to disagree on this and not go round in circles on this.
You clearly think he's rubbish, I rate him. That's all
Don’t think he’s rubbish, just rubbish as a DM. He can do the job in certain games but can’t in tricky games. Far better in front of a DM hence the huge improvement since paired with Bentacur

Back
Top Bottom