PFA Player Of The Year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking ridiculous that Toby doesn't get a nomination. One player that plays in the defensive half nominated across both categories shows the general under appreciation of good defenders.

For me:

Player of the Year: Mahrez

Young Player of the Year: Alli

Team of the season:

De Gea
Walker - Alderweireld - Smalling - Rose
Mahrez - Ozil - Kante - Payet
Kane - Vardy
Ozil ahead of Alli?

Fuck off

Well as for Player of the Year, as Leicester are probably going to win the league they'll pick Mahrez solely in virtue of bringing them the title regardless of the actual quality of play.

I think Alli deserves the PFAYPY, 8 goals and 12 assists is miraculous for a 19 years old lad. But he may have annoyed too many opposition players this year so that might cloud their judgement.

Difficult one for me this season as there are so many strong contenders, but i the end I've voted for Harry Kane. Scoring goals is the most critical and most prized part of the game, he has now had two absolutely fantastic seasons, and he's already surpassed last year's EPL scoring record. Even when he's not scoring, he never stops working for the team, and his overall dedication to the club is unquestionable. In some way it's easy to look at new players like Dele Alli and Toby Alderweireld because they have so materially enhanced their position in our team. But so many of our team have improved this season. HK finding another level - which, vs last year, I really think he has done - is really impressive. Still 5 games for someone to totally own how we remember this season though, irrespective of formal awards. COYS.

Difficult one for me this season as there are so many strong contenders, but i the end I've voted for Harry Kane. Scoring goals is the most critical and most prized part of the game, he has now had two absolutely fantastic seasons, and he's already surpassed last year's EPL scoring record. Even when he's not scoring, he never stops working for the team, and his overall dedication to the club is unquestionable. In some way it's easy to look at new players like Dele Alli and Toby Alderweireld because they have so materially enhanced their position in our team. But so many of our team have improved this season. HK finding another level - which, vs last year, I really think he has done - is really impressive. Still 5 games for someone to totally own how we remember this season though, irrespective of formal awards. COYS.

This is what's so good; I agree and disagree....no, disagree; marvel out how exciting this all is.

Vardy will win player of the year and either Butland or Ali YP.

Vardy will win because of the playing for Fleetwood, the romance of LCFC season and his meteoric rise from 'nowhere' even though he's been at LCFC for 4 years next month.
Signing for £1m, which was a record fee for a non league player which some seem to forget.
Flopping on his first season and having those adorable faithful LCFC fans abusing him on social media as shit and a waste of money, & much worse. He thought of jacking it in but Pearson changed his mind. Remember that Foxes?
I think Kane scored as many goals as he did his first season when he was there on loan didn't he?
16 goals the next in the Championship and then 5 goals in the EPL last season. Natural progression?
It's not exactly been 'out of the blue'.
Considering when you think Ali came from league one, is not a striker, yet has managed more goals in his first season than Vardy who had a 16 goal EC experience.

I think Butland could just shade it over Ali because
1) he's been excellent all season and is a fantastic keeper
2) and because he has missed the Euro's so tragically.

But then, I can't think of a keeper who has ever won it.

ArcspacE ArcspacE we can't just say Ozil is shit because we want him to, that's the kind of attitude which makes mugs turn to religion out of fear of their own mortality.
I don't think he's shit - I simply believe Alli's impact has been far great, imv in the context of either team and the fact he's had prior to this season 0 experience at the top. Ozil has been around for eons and played at the highest stages

Not to mention that mong threw in the towel few weeks back and criticised the manager / his teammates - only for Whinger to openly contradict him afterwards and try save face. Shambles.

I don't think he's shit - I simply believe Alli's impact has been far great, imv in the context of either team

Not to mention that mong threw in the towel few weeks back and criticised the manager / his teammates - only for Whinger to openly contradict him afterwards and try save face. Shambles.
Alli is going to be a true world class player if he can retain his humbleness. Miles beyond Turkish Gollum.

I don't think he's shit - I simply believe Alli's impact has been far great, imv in the context of either team

I can't agree with you there, without Ozil where would they be now? 6th? Lower? He got that assist in the Emirates NLD, the assists for Welbeck against Leicester and loads of others and while we joke that loads of his assists are shit there are many that are pinpoint.

Don't make me defend one of that lot.

Alli, for a 19 year old has been phenomenal, but if say he was 28 it wouldn't be the same, it terms of what he's brought to THFC this season, will significant, the contribution of Kane, Alderweireld - and arguably Lloris, Eriksen and Dembele have been greater.

In all fairness, aside from Payet there hasn't really been any players that have stood out consistently this season aside from those from the top two.

Butland and Ozil have had good seasons but Ozil has faded of late and Butland has an unfortunate injury...he'll miss two months of the season, which is a lengthy old time (I know Payet did too but such is his form you can't ignore him).

Tbf the same can be said about Kane. In the first part of the season (~7-10 games) he was quite horrible. He had a dip in form later in the season as well.

All in all though, he's been good enough for a nomination. But so has Ozil.

A shame though, that any of the two are nominated when Alder or Dembele are not. They've been consistantly a class or two better than anything they've been up against.

[formation=433, Lloris , Walker, Toby, Vertonghen, Rose, Ali, Dier, Dembele , Lamela , Kane, Eriksen][/formation]

No :pochsmirk:

Who makes our PFA Team of the Year?

Do people agree with that team of the year? i would say it's accurate although Ozil probably deserves to be in there?

I will not agree to any team that does not include Dembele.

Have to add that I find it wrong to have the toty in a 4-4-2 when most teams play 4-2-3-1.

De gea

Walker
Alderweireld
Morgan
Rose

Kante
Dembele

Mahrez
Ozil
Payet

Kane

Lloris have been brilliant, but de Gea is all United have. Bellerin and Monreal not far behind for the RB and LB spots. Smalling, Huth, Vertonghen and van Dijk honerable mentions as CB. Dier has been great, and comes close, but Kante and Dembele have been better. Eriksen and Alli could've gotten the AMC position. Vardy closest to Kane, but ours have been better.

ArcspacE ArcspacE we can't just say Ozil is shit because we want him to, that's the kind of attitude which makes mugs turn to religion out of fear of their own mortality.

Compared to Alli Ozil is shit

And he's ugly

And he won't be in this country next season

And he's ugly

And his attitude stinks

And he's ugly

Tbf the same can be said about Kane. In the first part of the season (~7-10 games) he was quite horrible. He had a dip in form later in the season as well.

A shame though, that any of the two are nominated when Alder or Dembele are not. They've been consistantly a class or two better than anything they've been up against.

I would 100% refute that Kane was awful. Not scoring doesn't instantly correlate with poor form.

Sorry but that just isn't in any way true. Kane may have had periods of not scoring, but he during those spells he was winning consistent praise for his broader team play and work rate. He's been immense all season. He just keeps going, whether things are dropping for him or not. His attitude, confidence, positivity, drive and determination are so very impressive. He has not had any periods of being in any way 'horrible'.

This is what's so good; I agree and disagree....no, disagree; marvel out how exciting this all is.
To be honest, as I was writing that I found myself arguing and disagreeing with what I was writing (not literally, I'm not quite that weird), but purely for positive reasons as there are so many good stories this season of many of our team really enhancing their play and performances, both technically and in terms of effort/motivation. Lamela, Walker, Rose, Toby, Jan, Wimmer - god, the whole damn squad - it's just been a brilliant season... and it isn't over yet. COYS.

Back
Top Bottom