Paulinho the dreadnought vs Adam the skaghead round 2 aka vs Stoke thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Supporting Spurs is like when you were a small kid and you'd get up on a Friday morning and run downstairs to breakfast just as your dad's heading out the door and he'd turn and say "Son, when I get back from work I'm going to take you to Disneyland for the weekend!" so you'd spend the whole day bouncing off the walls only for him to come back in at 3:45pm stinking of booze, dressed in nothing but his pants and a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and punch your mum in the face.

Well that was fucking shite, wasn't it.

A lot screaming Levy / ENIC out, and while I agree they have their faults, Pochettino has a lot to answer for already IMO.

He made Kaboul captain, he started today with a CB pairing of Fazio & Kaboul, he constantly plays with two DM's at home, he has persisted with Ade, he has created an 'A' & 'B' team scenario, he gives nonsensical post match interviews.

Eriksen is a shadow of the player he was under Tim. Why?

He talks about 'philosophy' a lot, well what the fuck is it? Play it sideways cluelessly and then hoof it? I haven't seen one trace of a definitive style. Even the games we have won we were absolute shite.

We are steadily getting worse every week. Maybe these players aren't his, but he should still be getting a hell of a lot more out of them than he currently is. These same players beat this Stoke team twice last season, without conceding a goal, so what the fuck is going on.

Fuming.

Last edited:
My reaction just tuning in,seeing the score is 2-0 then coming here :

iKAtzVw.gif

Yes. Been here since he was 17.

"A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

...yeah, but does he like Pie Mash 'n Liquor all washed dahn wiv a cuppa splosh whilst watching Bullseye?

THAT'S what we mean by homegrown... If they can't quote a line from The Italian Job or sing the theme tune to Only Jews Fools & Pussies Horses, then they're not worth knowing... none of this affiliated with the FA for 36 months nonsense!

Spursy as fuck that kaboul hasn't managed to get injured once yet this season.
Because that's the only way he's going to be dropped out of the team.

I can understand it taking time to add some fluency to our attack with the new manager but for fucks sake at least start by making us hard to beat. I don't think I've seen another side in the league whose defence is so easy to get at.

What is the point of having 2 deep midfielders at home if they are then going to allow a player to run 30 yards straight through the centre of the pitch and take a shot at goal with not one challenge coming in.

So confused by what is supposed to be happening. No one knows who to blame. Players, manager, chairmen, fans. The whole thing is a big mess again.

I'm still adamant we should never have sacked AVB. Those smashing a by city and Liverpool aside, we at least looked quite solid at the back if not a little dull going forward (funny that when you don't have a better than mid table striker at the club) If only we'd actually bought the players he wanted.

Jesus wept this is so depressing. The worst part is, it was entirely predictable. I am not shocked by this defeat in the slightest

[formation=4231, Lloris, Naughton, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies, Mason, Stambouli, Chadli, Soldado, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Lamela can be our Kane for this game, impact sub if needed, Ade can go and take a 90 min shit.

Like your podcasting - bring Ricky back
If you're going to make a match thread, approach it with some conviction. Make us believe. Fill us all with false hope.

If we lose, this is all on you. Do you want that on your conscience?

Have another try. You're better than this. I know it. I believe in you.

Now, I'm no expert but I predict us to only turn up in 1 half , have possession but create little , Lloris will make some top class saves but the goal we conced will be down to defensive errors. Some players will be non existent on the pitch.

There you go..... No need for a stream now , you're very welcome x

He hasn't been registered with us for 3 years - only signed in 2012

He doesn't count at the moment as you can't count as a homegrown until after 21 because players don't need to be registered until after 21. So when he comes of age and has to be registered, he will be a homegrown player. Same is true of Harry Kane who is too young to be registered as well.

0088_zpsfa5e84fc.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur host Stoke City at White Hart Lane on Sunday 9th November 2014 (KO 13:30) in the 11th round of 2014-15 Premier League matches.

Spurs come into the match in 8th place in the Premier League on 14 points with Stoke in 13th place on 12 points. This will be the 88th time the two teams have met.

The first ever meeting came at the Victoria Ground when Stoke City were playing as Stoke FC in the old first round of the FA Cup in February 1896 in a match Stoke won 5-0.

Stoke had become one of the 12 founding members of the Football League in 1888 and the clubs were drawn together in the third round of the FA Cup in February 1899 at the Victoria Ground with Stoke winning 4-1.

The first match at White Hart Lane between the clubs was a friendly played in March 1900 with Spurs, then Champions of the Southern League, beating Stoke 6-0.

Spurs joined the Football League for the 1908-09 season, replacing Stoke who had resigned at the end of the previous season for financial reasons. The clubs didn't meet in a League match until April 1920 in the Second Division with Tottenham winning 2-0 at the Lane and 3-1 at the Victoria Ground.

The first meeting in Division One came in March 1923 at Stoke which resulted in a 0-0 draw. Spurs won the reverse fixture at the Lane a week later 3-1.

The clubs met for five seasons in the Second Division between 1928 to 1933 and for two seasons in Division One from 1934 to 1935.

After the Second World War, the clubs met in the modern FA Cup third round in January 1947 at White Hart Lane which resulted in a 2-2 draw with Stoke winning the replay 1-0 thanks to a Stanley Matthews goal.

Three years later, Spurs beat Stoke 1-0 away in the third round.

Spurs were Football League Champions in 1950-51 and beat Stoke 6-1 at home but could only draw 0-0 away during that season.

Every League game played between Spurs and Stoke since WW2 has taken place in the Top Flight, except for season 1977-78 when Spurs spent a single season in Division Two, beating Stoke 3-1 in both matches.

The clubs met in the FA Cup in January 1976 with a 1-1 draw at the Lane followed by a 2-1 win for Stoke in the replay.

Tottenham Hotspur were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 but Stoke City's first season in the competition only came in 2008-09 with Stoke winning 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium and Spurs winning 3-1 at the Lane.

During 2009-10, Stoke won 1-0 at White Hart Lane with Spurs winning 2-1 at the Britannia.

In 2010-11, Spurs did the "double" over Stoke, winning the away fixture 2-1 with a brace of goals from Gareth Bale and the home fixture 3-2 in April with a double from Peter Crouch and a Luka Modric goal.

The teams met for the first time in the Football League (Carling) Cup 3rd round in September 2011 at Stoke and the match finished in a goalless draw after extra time. Stoke went on to win the penalty shoot-out 7-6. Spurs youngster Massimo Luongo penalty was saved by Thomas Sorensen.

The 2011-12 Premier League game at the Britannia Stadium in December was won 2-1 by Stoke with a Matthew Etherington brace putting the Potters 2-0 up at half-time. Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after 62 minutes but defender Younes Kaboul was sent-off after collecting two yellow cards. The match at White Hart Lane in March 2012 resulted in a 1-1 draw. After a goalless first half, Cameron Jerome put the visitors ahead after 75 minutes but a Rafael van der Vaart header in the dying moments of the game ensured that honours were even.

The match at White Hart Lane in December 2012 finished in a goalless draw. The match had few clear-cut chances for either team. A Steven Nzonzi header after just 3 minutes put Stoke ahead in the match at Britannia Stadium in May 2013 but Clint Dempsey equalised after 20 minutes. The winning goal came from Emmanuel Adebayor seven minutes from time.

Ryan Shawcross handled an Emmanuel Adebyor volley and Roberto Soldado scored the resulting penalty at White Hart Lane in December 2013 to put Spurs 1-0 up at half-time. Further goals in the second half from Mousa Dembélé and Aaron Lennon saw a comfortable 3-0 win for Tottenham. The reverse fixture at Stoke in April 2014 was decided by a 33rd minute Danny Rose goal for Tottenham.

Overall, Spurs have won 44 games, Stoke have won 23 games and the remaining 20 matches of the 87 played have been drawn.

Paul Allen
Garry Brooke
Joe Brough
George Clawley
Garth Crooks
Peter Crouch
Matthew Etherington
Ray Evans
Márton Fülöp
Eiður Guðjohnsen
Ken Hancock

Archie Heggarty
Stephen Kelly
Fred Latham
Billy Leech
Gerry Mahon
Ian Moores

James Morton
Wilson Palacios
Tony Parks
Jimmy Robertson
Hans Segers
Paul Stewart

Charlie Wilson
Jonathan Woodgate

We have issues with almost every starter

Townsend - nightmare for defenders to play against but decision making not good enough

Paulinho - scores some goals but does nothing else

Chadli - scores some goals but does not do much else, new Dempsey for me.

Eriksen - can win a game with genius and technically great but can disappear and get bullied easily

Lamela - doesn't distribute quick enough and loses the ball a lot but a special talent.

Lennon - turns quick and er?

Dembele - should be our best player but has no brain.

Bentaleb - tidy hard working player but can be anonymous.

Soldado - good general play but useless in front of goal which is kind of a must for a striker.

Ade - moments of genius, years of shit.

Dier - played out of position.

Verts - a melt, great ability but falls apart under pressure.

Kaboul - great but capable of brain farts.

Fazio - great In the air less on the ground

Rose - good when he can be bothered.

Naughton - ok when not having brain farts

Capoue - been good upto last few games, doesn't track runners well enough.

That leaves lloris, Kane and mason as only players without significant faults for me.

Back
Top Bottom