Paul Mitchell resigns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Monchi just renewed his contract until 2020, doubt we'd be able to pry him away. Though, clearly, contracts continue to mean absolutely nothing in football as evidenced with Mitchell, so maybe we actually could just splash some cash his way?

I've seen gossip re Mitchell that it as a case of being a third wheel. Between having a strong manager (Pochettino) and a strong owner (Levy) there's little room for a DoF with a strong personality. So, he got frustrated and is on gardening leave until a future date.

Mackenzie was really good, sad to see him leave, but if you know you haven't got a DoF role above you to shoot for, I guess you have to go elsewhere when wanting that kind of promotion.

My thinking is along those lines as well. Although, were do get the "gardening leave" bit from? What I mostly noted in the actual quotes was Mitchell saying: "I have greatly enjoyed my time at the club and it will continue to be my sole focus until such time as I move on to new challenges". Could be seen as gardening leave, but also that it's all more non-controversial than it might at first seem.

It's all speculation at this point, but for what it's worth I think, the key to this whole thing is Poch's changed title when he renewed his contract. Again, just wild speculation, but I'd say Poch came in as kind of a chance for Levy to take, and thus he didn't want to hand too much responsibility to Poch at first. On the other side of that Poch was use to a European set-up with a DoF, so was fine with it as well. Poch has now spent two years on trimming the squad of bad apples, getting all the players and staff on board with his vision, and worked closely McDermott to make the youth set-up part of that vision as well.

When it came time to extend his own contract, he might have felt, he had all the fundamentals in place in all the departments, and wanted a bigger say in the incoming transfers, which is probably the non-first team area affecting him the most any way. Hence, the new role as manager and Mitchell and McKenzie might just have felt Poch is taking over part of what they felt, they initially joined Spurs to do. So they cannot see themselves being challenged in it any more and/or felt promises as to their roles where broken.

Indeed. Poch wants to be a manager, not a coach, so I guess Mitchell is an obstruction to that.
Entirely possible. My gut is going with the fact that we have just locked Poch down on a new deal, given him a massive payrise and made him Manager (previously Head Coach). We have given Poch the keys. Having Poch as manager means there is no career development for Mitchell, he is an ambitious bloke (he dropped Southampton and came to us), my guess is he sees his next move as a DoF or Sporting Director, Poch's roll as Manager may well have just killed his career ambitions at Spurs.

Entirely possible. My gut is going with the fact that we have just locked Poch down on a new deal, given him a massive payrise and made him Manager (previously Head Coach). We have given Poch the keys. Having Poch as manager means there is no career development for Mitchell, he is an ambitious bloke (he dropped Southampton and came to us), my guess is he sees his next move as a DoF or Sporting Director, Poch's roll as Manager may well have just killed his career ambitions at Spurs.
This is something I take issue with. Just because Poch has been given the title Manager, does not make it mutually exclusive with having a DOF[insert whatever bullshit title for the leader of the team responsible for finding new players]. If anything it should be possible to use it more efficiently now as Poch should be able to set a directive for what he's looking for so the scouts/DOF/Whatever can use their time more efficiently. Allowing Poch to spend his time weighted more towards the players already at the club, but still 100% comfortable knowing the recruitment department is working towards getting in players that will fit the rest of the squad.

This is something I take issue with. Just because Poch has been given the title Manager, does not make it mutually exclusive with having a DOF[insert whatever bullshit title for the leader of the team responsible for finding new players]. If anything it should be possible to use it more efficiently now as Poch should be able to set a directive for what he's looking for so the scouts/DOF/Whatever can use their time more efficiently. Allowing Poch to spend his time weighted more towards the players already at the club, but still 100% comfortable knowing the recruitment department is working towards getting in players that will fit the rest of the squad.
But Mitchell is not a DoF. The point I was making was maybe Mitchelle wants to be a DoF, this world be seen as a good career progression for an ambitious man. But because Poch has been given a more powerful role at the club maybe Mitchell can't advance his career, so has handed his notice in.

Everyone is saying that Mitchell is at Spurs because they worked together at Southampton, I am saying that might not be the case, Poch's comments on Mitchell upon joining clearerly state it was nothing to do with him and it was down to the club. He is clearly distancing himself from the decision to bring him in. Maybe Poch doesn't rate him and never has. Maybe Poch wants to bring in his own man??

If's butts and total guesswork on my part, just putting out an alternative point of view, especially as Poch has been given the power and responsibility, only a handful of weeks ago.

Worrying stuff.

1. If Poch is not ok with them leaving, and shares the frustrations they felt before resigning, that might be a disaster.
2. If they are leaving because Poch wants a greater say in scouting and signing of players, that might take time and focus from his other dealings - such as training and match preparations. That might become a big problem.

I really do hope this is happening because it's what Poch wants, and that we have or will bring in others that can work with Poch on transfer matters so that he can keep focusing on getting the most out of the squad and the academy.

Mate, give it a rest eh? Day in, day out, the same bloody thing. Fuck's sakes.

:dawsonlol:

Is it someone's alt?

First day back from hols, was feeling all good, train back last night go on the twitter and Mitch and Mac leaving, welcome to Spurs shit storm. Reminds me a bit when Arnesen up sticks and went to the Chavs. However this seems a little less underhand and as it says Mitchell tendered his resignation, hardly a bombshell. Not as if he's been sacked with immediate effect.

Let's not forget Mitchell was supposedly Pochettino's man (*seen Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 's post, Levy's man) . With the new title of Manager perhaps he wants a more hands on role with everything? He was after all at the match with Mitchell when they did some Janssen scouting, not often Pochettino would be that obvious with looking at players?

As most have said, if it was Pochettino leaving the alarm bells should be ringing. As it is good luck to Mitchell and Mackenzie in their future roles.

Last edited:
I my world he's role should based on a given budget be to find possible interesting players, evaluate them against the manager's (Poch) wishlist, evaluate them together with the manager, make an estimate of how much the club are willing to pay for the player. Than to contact the agent, the club, negotiate both with the player and the club and finally sign the agreements. Maybee leave the signing to the chairman (Levy)

I think Levy is doing much more than sign the agreements and thereby from Mitchells point of view stealing the most intresting part of he's job.

But Mitchell is not a DoF. The point I was making was maybe Mitchelle wants to be a DoF, this world be seen as a good career progression for an ambitious man. But because Poch has been given a more powerful role at the club maybe Mitchell can't advance his career, so has handed his notice in.

Everyone is saying that Mitchell is at Spurs because they worked together at Southampton, I am saying that might not be the case, Poch's comments on Mitchell upon joining clearerly state it was nothing to do with him and it was down to the club. He is clearly distancing himself from the decision to bring him in. Maybe Poch doesn't rate him and never has. Maybe Poch wants to bring in his own man??

If's butts and total guesswork on my part, just putting out an alternative point of view, especially as Poch has been given the power and responsibility, only a handful of weeks ago.

Yes, I actually remembered someone saying that we appointed Mitchell as a headscout and slowly taking the title of DoF instead of Baldini.

Back
Top Bottom