Paul Mitchell resigns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that it's a case of, if you want to be a strong Sporting Director/Director of Football type, we are simply not the club for you. We have a very involved owner, and a very involved manager. I don't see the space necessary for one to work within. If you have aspirations of being an English Monchi, and I think Mitchell and Mackenzie both do, then you're going to have to go out to go up.
This may be true, but I get the feeling that the truth is likely to be that he felt he couldn't work with Levy's haggling tightwad approach. I can imagine it can be frustrating, especially if you think a deal is getting away from you because of it.

The bloke is deluded if he thought we were ever going to match wages with Chelsea.....30% above our max budget for a player who isn't even really a full international

Tottenham recruitment chief Paul Mitchell grew disillusioned with club's transfer business after missing out on Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea
facebookShareButton.png

twitterShareButton.png

emailShareButton.png

blank.gif

batman2407.jpg

Former target: Michy Batshuayi joined Chelsea earlier this summer (Srdjan Stevanovic/Getty Images)

Paul Mitchell will leave Tottenham amid claims he had become frustrated with the club’s transfer policy.

The head of recruitment and analysis is under contract until the end of 2017, although it is highly unlikely he will remain that long. As it stands, Mitchell will see out this transfer window and then there are expected to be further discussions.

Leicester, who lost their recruitment chief Steve Walsh to Everton, are thought to be following the situation closely and if Mitchell sees out his contract, it will create a potentially awkward situation if he is targeted by other clubs.

Standard Sport understands Mitchell, an ally of manager Mauricio Pochettino from their Southampton days, had grown disillusioned at the way, at times, transfer business is conducted at Tottenham.

READ MORE
Tottenham head of recruitment Paul Mitchell resigns

READ MORE
It is thought he believed Michy Batshuayi, the Belgium forward he watched extensively, was ready to join Spurs from Marseille - only for Chelsea to sign him for £33million on a five-year contract worth about £125,000 per week.

In Tottenham’s current wage structure, the best-paid players are in the £75,000-£80,000-a-week bracket.

Mitchell was also an advocate of Lille forward Sofiane Boufal. He is believed to have pushed for Victor Wanyama - who joined Tottenham this summer - to be bought in the summer of 2015, when Spurs did not conclude a deal with Southampton, who ultimately refused to sell.

On Mitchell’s watch, Dele Alli joined Tottenham from MK Dons but David Pleat, the former Tottenham manager, had far more influence in that January 2015 deal than Mitchell did.

Kevin Wimmer was recommended by Mitchell and has earned a new contract but two other players in the 2015 intake, Heung-Min Son and Clinton Njie, may be sold after just one year in north London.

scaletowidth

On the club’s website, chairman Daniel Levy said: “Mitch has been with us for two years and has created a well staffed department and run our recruitment processes for the past two years. We understand and respect his wish to consider new avenues.”

Mitchell added: “I have enjoyed my time at the club and it will continue to be my sole focus until I move on to new challenges.”

22h
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Daniel: “I know that, whilst most of our business has been completed, Mitch is keen to ensure we start the season in the best position.”

Follow
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Paul Mitchell: "I’ve greatly enjoyed my time at #THFC & it’ll continue to be my sole focus until such time as I move on to new challenges."

Mitchell’s decision has come as a surprise to many at Spurs, who are negotiating contracts with a number of key players.

Eric Dier is poised to sign new terms worth about £45,000 a week, while talks are ongoing with Christian Eriksen, Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen

This may be true, but I get the feeling that the truth is likely to be that he felt he couldn't work with Levy's haggling tightwad approach. I can imagine it can be frustrating, especially if you think a deal is getting away from you because of it.

Isn't the job of someone like Mitchell to unearth good players, not to tell the chairman to sign Pogba etc. How is Mitchell earning money if his suggestions are £30m+players like Batshuayi?

I don't really see who we've "haggled" for and been a "tightwad" about otherwise.

If he's thrown his toys out of the pram because we don't throw money at 'maybe' players like Liverpool, then good riddance. Not like Mitchell has any right to be in a mood about who we do or don't sign - that's the concern of the manager.

Of course he hasn't done any of this, because it's all unsubstantiated. I imagine the truth is more related to him wanting to move into a more interactive role; management, DoF etc. Even more likely, he's the next Comolli - off to Everton or one of the other new rich wannabes.

Just out of interest, why would it matter if a deal got over the line or not? His job is to identify players, he still gets paid for identifying players. Obviously if he gets dosh/commission on a player comes in then that might point to some frustration, but what idiot you would have to be to sign a deal like that???

Isn't the job of someone like Mitchell to unearth good players, not to tell the chairman to sign Pogba etc. How is Mitchell earning money if his suggestions are £30m+players like Batshuayi?

I don't really see who we've "haggled" for and been a "tightwad" about otherwise.

If he's thrown his toys out of the pram because we don't throw money at 'maybe' players like Liverpool, then good riddance. Not like Mitchell has any right to be in a mood about who we do or don't sign - that's the concern of the manager.

Of course he hasn't done any of this, because it's all unsubstantiated. I imagine the truth is more related to him wanting to move into a more interactive role; management, DoF etc. Even more likely, he's the next Comolli - off to Everton or one of the other new rich wannabes.
How long have you been following the club? Levy's approach to transfers is well know.

I didn't say it was Mitchell's position to be upset. It wasn't. But if you have rival clubs like Man U offering you more money and potentially deals without that hassle, do you wait around for Levy to argue with other chairmen until deadline day? I would've. I'd say, "fuck this, I'm leaving for more money and easier deals"....not least because if I were like Mitchell I'd want my reputation as a discoverer of great players to be preserved.

Just out of interest, why would it matter if a deal got over the line or not? His job is to identify players, he still gets paid for identifying players. Obviously if he gets dosh/commission on a player comes in then that might point to some frustration, but what idiot you would have to be to sign a deal like that???
Because his career is built on being a finder of great talent. If a club doesn't sign that talent and his discovery vindicated, how does his reputation build?

The bloke is deluded if he thought we were ever going to match wages with Chelsea.....30% above our max budget for a player who isn't even really a full international

Tottenham recruitment chief Paul Mitchell grew disillusioned with club's transfer business after missing out on Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea
facebookShareButton.png

twitterShareButton.png

emailShareButton.png

blank.gif

batman2407.jpg

Former target: Michy Batshuayi joined Chelsea earlier this summer (Srdjan Stevanovic/Getty Images)

Paul Mitchell will leave Tottenham amid claims he had become frustrated with the club’s transfer policy.

The head of recruitment and analysis is under contract until the end of 2017, although it is highly unlikely he will remain that long. As it stands, Mitchell will see out this transfer window and then there are expected to be further discussions.

Leicester, who lost their recruitment chief Steve Walsh to Everton, are thought to be following the situation closely and if Mitchell sees out his contract, it will create a potentially awkward situation if he is targeted by other clubs.

Standard Sport understands Mitchell, an ally of manager Mauricio Pochettino from their Southampton days, had grown disillusioned at the way, at times, transfer business is conducted at Tottenham.

READ MORE

READ MORE
It is thought he believed Michy Batshuayi, the Belgium forward he watched extensively, was ready to join Spurs from Marseille - only for Chelsea to sign him for £33million on a five-year contract worth about £125,000 per week.

In Tottenham’s current wage structure, the best-paid players are in the £75,000-£80,000-a-week bracket.

Mitchell was also an advocate of Lille forward Sofiane Boufal. He is believed to have pushed for Victor Wanyama - who joined Tottenham this summer - to be bought in the summer of 2015, when Spurs did not conclude a deal with Southampton, who ultimately refused to sell.

On Mitchell’s watch, Dele Alli joined Tottenham from MK Dons but David Pleat, the former Tottenham manager, had far more influence in that January 2015 deal than Mitchell did.

Kevin Wimmer was recommended by Mitchell and has earned a new contract but two other players in the 2015 intake, Heung-Min Son and Clinton Njie, may be sold after just one year in north London.

scaletowidth

On the club’s website, chairman Daniel Levy said: “Mitch has been with us for two years and has created a well staffed department and run our recruitment processes for the past two years. We understand and respect his wish to consider new avenues.”

Mitchell added: “I have enjoyed my time at the club and it will continue to be my sole focus until I move on to new challenges.”

22h
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Daniel: “I know that, whilst most of our business has been completed, Mitch is keen to ensure we start the season in the best position.”

Follow
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Paul Mitchell: "I’ve greatly enjoyed my time at #THFC & it’ll continue to be my sole focus until such time as I move on to new challenges."

Mitchell’s decision has come as a surprise to many at Spurs, who are negotiating contracts with a number of key players.

Eric Dier is poised to sign new terms worth about £45,000 a week, while talks are ongoing with Christian Eriksen, Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen

facebookShareButton.png

twitterShareButton.png

emailShareButton.png

blank.gif

batman2407.jpg

READ MORE

READ MORE

scaletowidth

22h
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

Follow
Tottenham Hotspur

✔@SpursOfficial

But maybe the deal was there to be done. And Levy's haggling and brinkmanship and general fucking around that he's renowned for, allowed Chelsea to step in and seal the deal. Maybe, I say.

How long have you been following the club? Levy's approach to transfers is well know.

I didn't say it was Mitchell's position to be upset. It wasn't. But if you have rival clubs like Man U offering you more money and potentially deals without that hassle, do you wait around for Levy to argue with other chairmen until deadline day? I would've. I'd say, "fuck this, I'm leaving for more money and easier deals"....not least because if I were like Mitchell I'd want my reputation as a discoverer of great players to be preserved.

Long enough to know how Sugar dealt with transfers.

Levy's approach to transfers is widely speculated. It's not "known". Levy's approach to transfers got us Van der Vaart. He's alright in my book.

Do I give the slightest damn that we lost out on the players that Chelsea took? No. It says more about the players, and in a way that means we should be glad.

I seem to recall Marseille even stating we never made a bid. So you (and anyone else making the assumption) are wetting knickers about a player we were probably never interested in. Unless Lyall said so, or any of the other "ITK" knobbers.

But maybe the deal was there to be done. And Levy's haggling and brinkmanship and general fucking around that he's renowned for, allowed Chelsea to step in and seal the deal. Maybe, I say.

Maybe.

But the transfer fee was always set after West Ham started throwing crazy bids in for players they were never going to sign - clubs and players very rarely accept 'reasonable' deals once they know some idiot will pay over the odds.

Anyway - as someone else has stated above - his role is to find players, if he can't find players that Chelsea et al aren't willing to pay well above our transfer record for then what's the fucking point?.........I would imagine Levy said exactly this and that's why he's offski

When Mitchell joined, Poch was pretty quick to say the appointment was nothing to do with him. I agree with those who've said that Poch's upgrade to manager is probably the cause of this.

Glorified scout - no big deal.

We'll never know. If he felt that way, that's totally fair, but he also had to know he was facing that going in. Levy wasn't about to change that for him.

If he's thrown his toys out of the pram because we don't throw money at 'maybe' players

He wouldn't be the only one who does this, unfortunately.

Seems like he suggested some obvious names and got angry when we wouldn't give them high wages, however I think PM clearly misunderstood his role in that case.

He's here to find cheap gems and not much more.

He wouldn't be the only one who does this, unfortunately.

Seems like he suggested some obvious names and got angry when we wouldn't give them high wages, however I think PM clearly misunderstood his role in that case.

He's here to find cheap gems and not much more.

Definitely.

If we can get Berbatovs and Modrics from him, then great. But Levy is a football fan, and I'm sure he wouldn't need to pay someone to point out the kind of players that Mitchell has been credited to.

Back
Top Bottom