Our failed domestic cup runs.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It becomes like a trip to the theatre I guess , when nothing is really at steak what is the point , is it just pay mega bucks to go watch some football for 90 minutes , sing some songs and have some beer ?
I was walking the dog last Sunday and saw them playing Sunday league football , it was pissing it down and freezing (I’m up norf)
But I saw one guy defending and it was a proper on the floor tackle , it was like his life depended on making that tackle , forgot how passionate football can be!
I will always follow this club , even though I might not want to at times , but it’s not really football any more is it; it’s just a big business where fans get milked and are expected to travel half way across the country mid week late nights , paying a small fortune getting there and for what?

*stake

Filet Mignon Steak GIF

It’s not even big news on the sports pages. It’s almost expected. Obviously Grimsby took a lot of the spotlight but everyone seems know we are a weak and inconsistent club/team. It’s not even news. Not sure it’s even giant killing.
It’s Tottenham lads really is apt. Every cliche about us we live up to.

It’s not even big news on the sports pages. It’s almost expected. Obviously Grimsby took a lot of the spotlight but everyone seems know we are a weak and inconsistent club/team. It’s not even news. Not sure it’s even giant killing.
Sheffield are 2nd in the championship and were the home team. It really shouldn't have been too unexpected.

The owners are the only common denominator for Redknapp, Pochettino, Mourinho, Nuno and Conte.

I think all the managers are on massive CL qualification bonuses. Hence they prioritise it.
Great shout on the Bonus call. Remember 2016-18 when the narrative was that our players were not that well paid, but the performance bonuses bounced them into the top bracket.

Circa 2018 that changed with big contracts for certain players, Maybe if they had a pay incentive ( or dare I say a fine incentive ) not to lose to AS Moura and the like we might see some of the lazy turds actually battle.

We’re 4th in the league and in the champions league knock out and the results show we’re not good enough to beat a team in the championship?
Yes. Because they didn’t beat a team in the Championship.

The team has not yet finished 4th.

The team has not yet progressed to win the Champions league.

So the only definitives at the moment is they have lost to a team from the Championship, a team that is better than they were. And lost to Nottingham Forest too.

They don't, they just reflect the mindset of the players on the night, they thought they could just turn up and win with minimal effort.

This isn't just reflective of Spurs under ENIC either. I've been watching them since 1975 and we've failed to turn up against lower league, or "lesser" opposition on many occasions over those years as well.
Could we argue that the team that finishes last is not that bad, because they simply didn’t turn up on the odd night. Or would we accept the team that’s last was worse than the teams above them ?

Depends on how you look at this I guess, perhaps I am guilty of losing all confidence in THFC and am now overly pessimistic.

Citys players want to win.no matter what. Success breeds success. Simple as that

Agree with that.
And I also think that complacency breeds complacency.
Look at Newcastle, utter shit for years and years, yet as soon as mega rich owners take over, the same group of seemingly mediocre players suddenly start stepping up to the plate because they know they will be out the door if they don't start performing.
Newcastle have suddenly become contenders without actually spending much money.

Complacency is definitely an issue from top to bottom with the club & I do think it’s being lead by the head
I agree with the sentiment, but I think complacency is the wrong word. I feel like it's a conscious decision at the club that competitions like the FA Cup and Europa League don't matter, are a chore, and no one is bothered if we don't go another round.

And at this point I feel like it's in the club's DNA. I don't think Levy could phone everyone in the football staff twice a day and badger them about the importance of winning a cup and it amount to anything. Nearly everyone in the squad has cut their teeth at Spurs at this point, believing the whole time that these cups were little more than pain in the arse.

Agree with that.
And I also think that complacency breeds complacency.
Look at Newcastle, utter shit for years and years, yet as soon as mega rich owners take over, the same group of seemingly mediocre players suddenly start stepping up to the plate because they know they will be out the door if they don't start performing.
Newcastle have suddenly become contenders without actually spending much money.
TBF, they're 2 points ahead of Fulham who weren't bought by mega rich owners and the LC Final run included very fortunate draws. Don't think many of those players will survive Saudi's spending spree, but if they do its good for us.

It’s not as simple as that, a team has to have a balance. It has to have players that work well together.

The front 3 we played yesterday spent the whole game trying as hard as they could to get their individual shots away instead of looking for their team mates. There was nobody willing to release the ball the few times we did get some space to attack. They all wanted to score more than they wanted to win the game. None of them took the game seriously, they never do when we make so many changes. The coach is sending the clear message that the result doesn’t matter.

We would never willingly start a PL game with a starting XI like the one last night. Never. That sums it up.
Yeah, I agree with that. Which is sort of my point - the squad we ran out should walk Sheffield even if it wasn't full First XI. But as a club we've driven home this idea that the cups mean fuck all...so the players treat them that way.

The FA Cup winners get £2m.

Qualifying for the Champions League gets an initial £15.6m.

Winning a group game in the Champions League gets £2.8m £800k more than winning the FA Cup.

If Spurs beat Milan next week it is worth £10.6m

The management and the players contracts will be heavily incentivised accordingly.

There is a huge disconnect between the ambitions of the club and staff with the aspirations of the fans.

The fans want glory.

As much as we as fans don’t like it…

All levels ar the club will be motivated by how much money they earn - and to be fair most people in any job would be.

The Champions League has destroyed domestic cup competitions.
Which is sad. Especially because it could easily do the exact opposite. All they need to do (and should have done when the Cup Winners Cup was wound up) is award each nation's 2nd allocated spot to the winner of the domestic cup. For nations with 1 spot, no dice, or they could have an internal playoff if necessary. But for everyone else it massively boosts the importance of the domestic cups, and UEFA has to do fuck all.

Don't want lower level clubs involved? OK, make a rule that clubs not in the top division domestically during the CL season receive a payout to stand down and allocate their position to the highest league finisher not automatically qualified.

It's basically a free charity contribution, and they won't do it. The tragedy is running football is painfully fucking easy, but it's done by some of the most incompetent and corrupt people on earth.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think complacency is the wrong word. I feel like it's a conscious decision at the club that competitions like the FA Cup and Europa League don't matter, are a chore, and no one is bothered if we don't go another round.

And at this point I feel like it's in the club's DNA. I don't think Levy could phone everyone in the football staff twice a day and badger them about the importance of winning a cup and it amount to anything. Nearly everyone in the squad has cut their teeth at Spurs at this point, believing the whole time that these cups were little more than pain in the arse.
I can understand that with the owners as the money in domestic cups or lower European ones is pretty low & that’s why we don’t have a squad to compete in several competitions, having 3 or 4 more decent squad players costs a lot more than a cup win but players don’t like to lose .

The mindset could possibly come down from the owners , we definitely have a weak mentality & it was pretty ridiculous to make 6 changes against a team who will be in the prem next year , yes they made a lot of changes too but it clearly meant more to them.

The whole set up , for me , is getting further & further away from football , the nfl , go karts & talk of plans to have several teams in other sports which will probably end in disaster as Levy struggles to keep one plate spinning let alone dozens .

Some of the players who started against Sheffield want more playing time, but now they are going to get less ... maybe none in a couple of cases. That's on them.
Sheffield put out a team with some players who wanted to show the manager they should be part of the plans for next season when they get promoted. They probably did that.

Some of the players who started against Sheffield want more playing time, but now they are going to get less ... maybe none in a couple of cases. That's on them.
Sheffield put out a team with some players who wanted to show the manager they should be part of the plans for next season when they get promoted. They probably did that.
Maybe it’s all a bit too comfy at Spurs . Sanchez is on £65,000 a week , Forester £75k, Sess £58k

Some of the Sheffield players are on less than £10k

100% this.

Back
Top Bottom