Our failed domestic cup runs.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unless we have injuries I wonder if that is the last time we see Dav in a Spurs shirt.
I’m sure we’ll see him again , he’s still got a bit to go on his contract & no one is buying him

Think Dier is also out for the champion league game so we could see him again within a week Another limpet on the clubs books

When you look at all the players we have had and how little cup success we have had in the last however many years, it’s actually freakish.

Mentality yes but also one of those inexplicables.

I’ve never seen us win a domestic cup final or semi final at the new Wembley.

Then watched us lose Ghent (I think?)?? Then Monaco …. Then leverkusen

Was dreading it when we had to play league games there with a season ticket.

We’re 4th in the league and in the champions league knock out and the results show we’re not good enough to beat a team in the championship?
We lost 1-0, had no shots on target and looked devoid of ideas. The same shitty defenders that have overseen the last few defeats in fa cups to lower league opponents. The same shitty defenders that should have been moved on years ago. This isn't a one off.

There’s no reason why we could not have had F.A cups or League Cups in the bag and Liverpool were there for the taking in the Champions League…..our own arrogance like last night and failing dismally at the last hurdle, yes to the point were we didn’t even turn up Chelsea & Man Utd in the league cup finals springs to mind……
This "arrogance" excuse bugs me. I could see within the first 20-25 minutes that our attack would struggle to score in an open net and we have 5 subs allowed.
The coaching staff need to act quicker. It might have been arrogant to start that team, but it was blind stupidity to persist with it.

We lost 1-0, had no shots on target and looked devoid of ideas. The same shitty defenders that have overseen the last few defeats in fa cups to lower league opponents. The same shitty defenders that should have been moved on years ago. This isn't a one off.
We had 4 shots on target. They were just shit. We also hit the woodwork (more than once?)
But we were awful in attack.

Could we argue that the team that finishes last is not that bad, because they simply didn’t turn up on the odd night. Or would we accept the team that’s last was worse than the teams above them ?

Depends on how you look at this I guess, perhaps I am guilty of losing all confidence in THFC and am now overly pessimistic.
It's not the best analogy Lee. For a team to finish last, they have to be consistently bad over the course of the competition. What we're talking about is a one off cup game where we didn't turn up. We have history of this, same as every other club out there.

It's scary to think where we'd have been the last few years. Even when he was bad he scored over 20 goals.
It's also scary to think where he could be if he wasn't dragging us along.

Levy 100% lucked out. No way we could have dreamed of buying a player like Harry Kane while trying to build the stadium.

It’s going to be a massive hole to fill when he moves on.

Ironically, we're possibly worse at home now than we were at Wembley

First season at Wembley was ok. Second one played badly but had learnt to win matches overall.

Glad to see the back of that journey. Think that and the increase in tickets pricing is where I started to fall out of love with going to Tottenham though.
Proper pain in the backside queuing for trains along Wembley way.

18/19
Palace 2 - 0 Tottenham FAC 4th Round
Sanchez, Dier, Skipp, Moura all started.

19/20
Tottenham 1-1 Norwich out on penalties FAC 5th round
Sanchez, Dier, Skipp, Moura, all started

20/21
Everton 5-4 Tottenham FAC 5th Round
Sanchez, Davies, Moura

21/22
Boro 1 - 0 Tottenham - FAC 5th round
Dier, Davies, Winks, all started

I'll go easy on Skipp in the early games. He was a kid in those games.
but the same old shit keeps re-appearing in these games. I can throw in other games, like Colchester in the EFL Cup, Zagreb in the Ropey league. Mura in the Paint Trophy. In ALL of them, we have players like Moura fucking up every fucking attack. Dier fucking around refusing to tackle. Davies being neither here nor there. Sanchez falling over, getting turned inside out, giving away fouls everywhere.

For too many years, we have had to field seriously average players. Players who wouldn't be too good for the lower league/lower PL teams that have beaten us.

We should NOT be giving Dier a new contract. We should be replacing him. Moura should have gone in the winter and absolutely shouldn't ever be picked again. Sanchez should be sold for whatever anyone will pay. Davies needs to be replaced. I would also be looking for a buyer for Son before it's too late.

Levy 100% lucked out. No way we could have dreamed of buying a player like Harry Kane while trying to build the stadium.

It’s going to be a massive hole to fill when he moves on.
Not only could we not have bought a player of Kanes caliber, but no one would have stayed as long as Kane has. All our other world class players have left. Carrick, Berbatov, Bale, Modric etc.

Last edited:
You mention we had "no Shots on target" and then blame the defenders! ?????
Yes the defence is shite, we can all agree on that, however had the attack been doing there job and actually scored before Sheffield did , we would have won, the longer it stayed 0-0 the more confident they got, I cant Stand Sanchez or half our defence, however I think the Attack are to blame for us not going through and the fact that Son and Peresic stayed on the pitch the whole game is a Joke!

Back
Top Bottom