Our failed domestic cup runs.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You mention we had "no Shots on target" and then blame the defenders! ?????
Yes the defence is shite, we can all agree on that, however had the attack been doing there job and actually scored before Sheffield did , we would have won, the longer it stayed 0-0 the more confident they got, I cant Stand Sanchez or half our defence, however I think the Attack are to blame for us not going through and the fact that Son and Peresic stayed on the pitch the whole game is a Joke!

Our attack was like a boxer showing up to a fight and trying to bitch slap his opponent.

Our attack was like a boxer showing up to a fight and trying to bitch slap his opponent.
I just dont get it, We play Richie up top who needs service and have Son and Lucas either Side of him?
We should have changed it at half time, gone to a back 4 , Moved Davies as LB
Perisic for Danjuma
Son For Kulu
Lucas for Kane

I just dont get it, We play Richie up top who needs service and have Son and Lucas either Side of him?
We should have changed it at half time, gone to a back 4 , Moved Davies as LB
Perisic for Danjuma
Son For Kulu
Lucas for Kane
I would NEVER have picked those 3 together. And if I was in a room with Conte/Stellini when they came up with it, I'd have burst a blood vessel at them for even suggesting it.

18/19
Palace 2 - 0 Tottenham FAC 4th Round
Sanchez, Dier, Skipp, Moura all started.

19/20
Tottenham 1-1 Norwich out on penalties FAC 5th round
Sanchez, Dier, Skipp, Moura, all started

20/21
Everton 5-4 Tottenham FAC 5th Round
Sanchez, Davies, Moura

21/22
Boro 1 - 0 Tottenham - FAC 5th round
Dier, Davies, Winks, all started

I'll go easy on Skipp in the early games. He was a kid in those games.
but the same old shit keeps re-appearing in these games. I can throw in other games, like Colchester in the EFL Cup, Zagreb in the Ropey league. Mura in the Paint Trophy. In ALL of them, we have players like Moura fucking up every fucking attack. Dier fucking around refusing to tackle. Davies being neither here nor there. Sanchez falling over, getting turned inside out, giving away fouls everywhere.

For too many years, we have had to field seriously average players. Players who wouldn't be too good for the lower league/lower PL teams that have beaten us.

We should NOT be giving Dier a new contract. We should be replacing him. Moura should have gone in the winter and absolutely shouldn't ever be picked again. Sanchez should be sold for whatever anyone will pay. Davies needs to be replaced. I would also be looking for a buyer for Son before it's too late.

Even go back to the league cup v Colchester Sanchez, Dier, Skipp and Davies all started. 1256 days ago.

Although bigger issue that night was we replaced Harry Kane with a 17 year old who in the 3.5 years since has struggled to make it past championship level.

Even go back to the league cup v Colchester Sanchez, Dier, Skipp and Davies all started. 1256 days ago.

Although bigger issue that night was we replaced Harry Kane with a 17 year old who in the 3.5 years since has struggled to make it past championship level.

It's actually mind boggling to think we have simultaneously spent a lot of money and still have a lot of shit players pre-dating the spend and they still get a lot of game time.

I've banged on and on and on about it for years. We won't get better until we get rid of these players. It's possible that the flops might even have ultimately improved without these players being around. If we had to stick it out and keep playing them, rather than falling back on the existing players, maybe they would have improved.

Look at Royal. Through little more than necessity, he has improved. Probably wishful thinking, but what if we had sold Eriksen in the summer window and threw GLC in and used him every week, Maybe he steps up, Very long shot to think TND does anything but never know as even he was a bit part player.

We need to clear out as urgently as we need to recruit. It has to happen and it needs to be dramatic this summer IMO.

It's actually mind boggling to think we have simultaneously spent a lot of money and still have a lot of shit players pre-dating the spend and they still get a lot of game time.

I've banged on and on and on about it for years. We won't get better until we get rid of these players. It's possible that the flops might even have ultimately improved without these players being around. If we had to stick it out and keep playing them, rather than falling back on the existing players, maybe they would have improved.

Look at Royal. Through little more than necessity, he has improved. Probably wishful thinking, but what if we had sold Eriksen in the summer window and threw GLC in and used him every week, Maybe he steps up, Very long shot to think TND does anything but never know as even he was a bit part player.

We need to clear out as urgently as we need to recruit. It has to happen and it needs to be dramatic this summer IMO.

You have to question how we value our players.
Do we put realistic figures on them when they are viewed as surplus ti requirements by the manager.

Look how many are currently on loan. I thinks it’s hard to sell unwanted players these days.

Clubs know you want rid. They lowball you.

Then we end up just cancelling contracts or carry on part paying their wages as we loan them out.

I was devastated by our exit. We should be winning these trophies. We were too complacent. We just thought we needed to turn up. We are thd strangest team. At our best we are the best side in the league who can dispose of city who smashing le arse by the way but then lose to these little inferior clubs. I was sickened. We will get top 4 though which is a bonus. We will spend big in the summer. We just need that creative midfielder and another centre back. We are only 3 players away from a real title challenge. With James Maddison likely coming in the summer it will improve our attacking side even more.

You have to question how we value our players.
Do we put realistic figures on them when they are viewed as surplus ti requirements by the manager.

Look how many are currently on loan. I thinks it’s hard to sell unwanted players these days.

Clubs know you want rid. They lowball you.

Then we end up just cancelling contracts or carry on part paying their wages as we loan them out.

We won't pay asking price for a teams prized asset, but we also won't take reduced offers on players we want to sell.
Madness.

Like that bloke told me. Our so called leadership group needs binning. I propose the new one is Romero and Royal (buy that shithouse Argentina goalkeeper) Skipp is captain ( if I never see Hojbjerg again cool) and for the love of God back four only and buy two new centerbacks preferably mean bastards, and buy the best attacking midfield players you can get any two from Maddison Wirtz and Szoboszlai.

Last edited:
Like that bloke told me. Our so called leadership group needs binning. I propose the new one is Romero and Royal (buy that shithouse Argentina goalkeeper) Skipp is captain ( if I never see Hojbjerg again cool) and for the love of God back four only and buy to new centerbacks preferably mean bastards and but the best attacking midfield players you can get and two from Maddison Wirtz and Szoboszlai.
You need to have respect. Holberg is a leader. He basically commands our team on the pitch..he has heart and fight and is an amazing player. He was superb against Chelsea unless your memory is that short. He had an off fame and you turn on him. Holberg along with kane are always first on my team sheet. One thing I agree with you is maddison will be a great buy for us.

Have we been turning down offers for our players? Can’t recall hearing about any, except Man City trying for Kane.
Kane is getting older but I would not have any respect for levy for still demanding upward of 120 million even with over a year and a half on his contract. There are no other kanes. His tgenbest attacker on the planet. You could not trade me mbappe over kane. Kane will sign the contract with us anyway. He will do what he is told as he is very loyal and listens to levy.

We lost 1-0, had no shots on target and looked devoid of ideas. The same shitty defenders that have overseen the last few defeats in fa cups to lower league opponents. The same shitty defenders that should have been moved on years ago. This isn't a one off.
We had 4 on target from 17 attempts. They had 1 on target from 7 attempts.

But yes, it's not a one off, not just under ENIC either.

You mention we had "no Shots on target" and then blame the defenders! ?????
Yes the defence is shite, we can all agree on that, however had the attack been doing there job and actually scored before Sheffield did , we would have won, the longer it stayed 0-0 the more confident they got, I cant Stand Sanchez or half our defence, however I think the Attack are to blame for us not going through and the fact that Son and Peresic stayed on the pitch the whole game is a Joke!
Wasnt giving a free pass to the attackers, but that goal was easy to stop. 3 defenders couldn't stop it. The same ones who have been involved in the last few cup defeats

Well the BIG IF, Levy has told the manager to only focus the team on top 4 and CL games, will the coaching tactics for the domestic cup games be such that they have a bit of a rest for the next Premier League game?

How did PEH go from so good vs Chelsea a few days before to utter shit vs a second string Sheffield Utd?
That's easy Hojbjerg is an average to good 8/6 hybrid he is not elite he is physically and technically limited. These flaws are fully exacerbated with short turn around between games.

His pattern throughout his career is exactly as you have outlined. He is not the answer to our issues he's actually a large part of our dysfunction. I want Skipp and Sarr to start but coaches and fans keep falling for the so called leadership Hojbjerg brings.

I'm not pinning the defeat on him he had plenty of help though the goal does three players (he is one of them) no favours.

You need to have respect. Holberg is a leader. He basically commands our team on the pitch..he has heart and fight and is an amazing player. He was superb against Chelsea unless your memory is that short. He had an off fame and you turn on him. Holberg along with kane are always first on my team sheet. One thing I agree with you is maddison will be a great buy for us.
Your exactly the kind of myopic fan I'm talking about. I don't think Hojbjerg is either the leader you think or good enough to carry us forward. I make no secret of liking the man but wanting the player upgraded ditto Dier. We fundamentally disagree that's fine but more and more folk are seeing exactly what I have been pointing out for some time. He is more detrimental to the team than Skipp our Sarr. Persic had good set peice deliver but he has aged horribly he can not run and his immobility just like Hojbjerg is costing us.

Last edited:
Wasnt giving a free pass to the attackers, but that goal was easy to stop. 3 defenders couldn't stop it. The same ones who have been involved in the last few cup defeats
Yeah the defence is shit, I just think the longer it stayed 0-0 the more confident they got

Back
Top Bottom