Our failed domestic cup runs.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we being silly as fans expecting our club to take these two competitions all that seriously?

It seems from our performances against Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Utd in the two cups indicate that our club doesn't rate those cups highly enough to put in a good shift.

I'd be interested to read what other supporters have to say on the matter, because it might be the case that we're yearning for those cups to be in our trophy cabinet but the staff at our club including the owners aren't interested in them?

Hugely disappointing but I don’t know what the owners have got to do with this. We’ve had a squad and manager good enough to beat Nottingham forest and Sheffield United.

Its amazing how city, chavs utd, dippers, woolich etc are into them and keep winning them
They seem to rest players like City did against Bristol City but the players that they do play seem to try and win, however we seem to be lackluster in domestic cup competitions.

If it is true that Levy has told the management team that we're going for top four and not the domestic cups, then what's the point of our fans putting in the effort to turn up either?

Hugely disappointing but I don’t know what the owners have got to do with this. We’ve had a squad and manager good enough to beat Nottingham forest and Sheffield United.
Perhaps the players have got wind that the owners are only focused on getting top four and have set that as a target for the manager at the start of the season?

They seem to rest players like City did against Bristol City but the players that they do play seem to try and win, however we seem to be lackluster in domestic cup competitions.

If it is true that Levy has told the management team that we're going for top four and not the domestic cups, then what's the point of our fans putting in the effort to turn up either?
Citys players want to win.no matter what. Success breeds success. Simple as that

Citys players want to win.no matter what. Success breeds success. Simple as that
But if Levy has given the manager the message that top four is the aim for the seasons achievement, perhaps the players have realised that and thus decided to not put in the effort for the cup games.

So I'm blaming Levy/ENIC for this, if this is indeed the case.

Because its been drilled into us over 18 years that top 4 is our everything. Managers are judged on it and if they dont get it they're sacked, players want the exposure of CL football because thats where the fame and money is and the fans, myself included, have bought into the myth we need it to push on. It seems to be the whole function of the club now. Said yesterday we're stuck in this joyless, slightly above average beige loop. It would be more tolerable if the football was entertaining but we've not even had that for 5 years now.

The players should be good enough, but the mentality and believe isn't there. We looked like a small club without leaders yesterday, Sheffield United didn't have anything to fear.

Adidas L GIF by Sneakersnstuff

The problem is we're just shit. When other top 6 teams beat someone from a lower league on the way to picking up a cup it's "lucky Woolwich/Utd/city/Liverpool/Chav cunts" but when we get the same opportunity we bottle it and then blame the owners for Kane not playing.

But if Levy has given the manager the message that top four is the aim for the seasons achievement, perhaps the players have realised that and thus decided to not put in the effort for the cup games.

That’s a pretty big if.

In fact your whole premise is a complete fabrication.

Obviously its the aim for money. That doesnt stop the players putting in a shift does it.
Does kane not want a trophy at spurs? Lloris, dier, davies etc. So called 'leaders'. They can still demand effort in the dressing room no matter what levy says

but I don’t know what the owners have got to do with this.
The owners set the targets for the season

Target 1 - Champions league Qualification Money
Target 2 - Go as Far in the CL as possible to increase Revenue
Target 3 - Make sure we meet Target 1 above all else
Target 4 - Increase Club Revenue
Target 5 - Increase Club Revenue
Target 6 - Cup Run, however this should not come before any of the targets above.

The whole mentality from the top down is that winning a cup wont change us as a club, yesterday we were more worried about the weekends game against Wolves than going through in the Cup!

Back
Top Bottom