Norwich (H) 22Jan - 19:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

These are my views as well.

Liverpool are a really good team BUT the rest of the league, apart from City and they've not been great, is very average. Leicester and Chelsea in the Top 4? Neither are brilliant and in other seasons would be 7th at best.

It's a shit season for many this year including us.

:mourweird:
It shows how shite everyone is that after the torrid garbage football we've played this season.....we're still in the hunt for top 4!

If we pull top 4 off this season...... Well it would be frankly amazing

Janssen, Nkoudou, Njie?

So you concede that Dav, Lucas & Aurier were an attempt to strengthen and/or replenish our squad afterall then?

....even those you mentioned weren't "obvious duds" when signed. Esp. Jansen.

Whether they transpired to not be up to it after the fact is an entirely different argument

That 2016 team was crying out for reinforcement (and some of us at the time were shouting for it). There were lots of people claiming we didn't need it. Frankly they were/are mad.

It never came and here we are.

Yesterday you claimed it was 5 years without an attempt to strengthen. Now its merely as of the 2016/2017 peak season.....Hmmmmmm.

You say it never came but you yourself just cited Auruer, Dav & Lucas.... All signed since then along with others.

Maybe 'Ferguson at his peak' would have been a better way of putting it.

Yes. Perhaps it would

He was in decline the last few years and could see retirement in sight.

That doesn't speak any better of him.

United fans say since 2007/2008....

Regardless, your broader stance provokes the notion that their chairman and recruitment dept. should have sought to prevent said slide much the same...

Last edited:
So you concede that Dav, Lucas & Aurier were an attempt to strengthen and/or replenish our squad afterall then?
All purchased in the last two years. Before that, Janssen and co.

I'm talking about re-inforcing that 2016 team when it was at it's peak and we pointedly refused to do so over two windows.

We needed to and didn't - and here we are.

United fans say since 2007/2008....

Clearly not. After all what does the average Man U fan know? Or they have very short memories.

FA Community ShieldWinner2007
Premier LeagueChampion2007-08
UEFA Champions LeagueWinner2007-08
FIFA Club World CupWinner2008
FA Community ShieldWinner2008
Premier LeagueChampion2008-09
Football League CupWinner2008-09
UEFA Champions LeagueRunner-up2008-09
Premier LeagueRunner-up2009-10
Football League CupWinner2009-10
FA Community ShieldWinner2010
Premier LeagueChampion2010-11
UEFA Champions LeagueRunner-up2010-11
FA Community ShieldWinner2011
Premier LeagueRunner-up2011-12
Premier LeagueChampion2012-13

A team obviously in decline!

So...was interested at the amount of grief deli had on here last night. Wasn't able to watch the game and sounded like he was having a mare. Watched match of the day and they said he was really good and that he had been the most important player in our recent matches and the driving force behind our recent results (lol). Anyways, it made me wonder who was right? The forum or the pundits? (I would say that the forum would be more accurate as a lot of you go to the games week in week out whereas pundits often are watching highlights or 2 or 3 games at a time...pundits also seem to stick to cliches such as eriksen is amazing at free kicks which we all know is nonsense!)
I was at the game and must admit that I was not overly impressed by Dele last night ( though he was only one component of a disjointed team) That said he scored the first and provided the assist for the winner and that is a significant contribution.I still feel that Dele, playing on the shoulder of a fit and firing Harry Kane, can be a tremendous asset.
I was home in time for the MOTD highlights and I totally agree that they can be very misleading-only by attending do you get to fully see the bigger picture.
My other thoughts on last night-GLC is a tremendous talent, we need to make his deal permanent in this window, poor Sess is devoid of confidence (I mentioned this before on the Middlesbrough away thread) it is sad to witness.Super Jan looks close to his sell by date, surely time to throw Tanganga in for a few games.
The atmosphere in the South remains stifled at best,I am in 256 and a few of us in there do try to get things going but it is difficult and apart from the biggest of games I don’t see it improving.COYS!!!

All purchased in the last two years. Before that, Janssen and co.

I'm talking about re-inforcing that 2016 team when it was at it's peak and we pointedly refused to do so over two windows.

We needed to and didn't - and here we are.

When did we sign Dav, Aurier & Lucas.....?

2016/2017 was a mere 2.5 seasons ago.

2015/2016 Toby, Son & Wanyama were new/recent improvements.

Combined with your past "5 years" diatribe your goalposts are constantly shifting.

Clearly not. After all what does the average Man U fan know? Or they have very short memories.

FA Community ShieldWinner2007
Premier LeagueChampion2007-08
UEFA Champions LeagueWinner2007-08
FIFA Club World CupWinner2008
FA Community ShieldWinner2008
Premier LeagueChampion2008-09
Football League CupWinner2008-09
UEFA Champions LeagueRunner-up2008-09
Premier LeagueRunner-up2009-10
Football League CupWinner2009-10
FA Community ShieldWinner2010
Premier LeagueChampion2010-11
UEFA Champions LeagueRunner-up2010-11
FA Community ShieldWinner2011
Premier LeagueRunner-up2011-12
Premier LeagueChampion2012-13

They won stuff.... And? That doesn't necessarily contradict the notion that their typical calibre of player has declined over that period.

Nani replaced Ronaldo.....

Regardless; in light of my original comments about 'links' in the chain being of varying strenghts, are you essentially arguing that Wes Brown & John O'shea were on the same level as Ronaldo & peak Rooney during that era?

Last edited:
So...was interested at the amount of grief deli had on here last night. Wasn't able to watch the game and sounded like he was having a mare. Watched match of the day and they said he was really good and that he had been the most important player in our recent matches and the driving force behind our recent results (lol). Anyways, it made me wonder who was right? The forum or the pundits? (I would say that the forum would be more accurate as a lot of you go to the games week in week out whereas pundits often are watching highlights or 2 or 3 games at a time...pundits also seem to stick to cliches such as eriksen is amazing at free kicks which we all know is nonsense!)

I thought Lo Celso pulled all the strings for us, Dele was average, he did pop up with a goal and he did cross it to Son for the 2nd - even though it took a big looping deflection off the defender.
I do think it was lazy punditry by Match of the Day. I'm not sure they even watched our game as Dele was largely poor, he keeps trying flicks and tricks and losing possession. but he is still an important player as he can pop up with a goal from nothing.

I thought he looked excellent in the first half, went missing for 25-30 minutes in the 2nd half but when we needed someone to stand up at a nervy time he really came to life and helped us get over the line. Clever touches, a low centre of gravity, nice awareness of others and he wasn't afraid to stick his foot in whenever required.

GLC had a great game but I am still waiting for 90 minutes from him.

I don't know who the colour commentator was on my feed here (Bill who used to play for Fulham is all I could gather), but fuck that guy. He seemingly had nothing good to say about Spurs or our players and toe that just doesn't belong in commentary unless you have a Spurs supporter there to balance it off.
Not Bill but ex-WHU donkey Tony Gale who hates Spurs.

Liverpool are going to win the League in possibly less than 30 GAMES!!!

That's just ridiculous....... They've only dropped 2 points the whole season.

They're good but they're not THAT good..... What a time to have a half decent team when the other 19 turn to shite.

And still get every decision and piece of luck going

When did we sign Dav, Aurier & Lucas.....?

In the last couple of years 2017 and 2018

2016/2017 was a mere 2.5 seasons ago.

You are stretching 'seasons' to support your point. I am talking about four calendar years ago (not seasons).

In April 2016, I watched Spurs dismantle Stoke (I know because I was in a Stoke hotel at the time) and thinking, "if only we could build on this team, we could win the league". Instead we got nothing. Players aged, left, got injured or suffering a huge decline in form.

This laid the foundations of where we are now., where we'll need to turn over virtually our whole current first team and cost us hundreds of millions.

They won stuff.... And? That doesn't necessarily contradict the notion that their typical calibre of player has declined over that period.

This defies a response! OK they won stuff (lots of stuff) with rubbish players! Isn't that why we support our club?

I think you are what's called a contrarian, where, whatever is said (no matter how rational, sensible and backed up by facts), you feel the need to take the opposite point of view.

In the last couple of years 2017 and 2018

You are stretching 'seasons' to support your point. I am talking about four calendar years ago (not seasons).

Since football operates based upon seasons, does it really matter?

"5 years."

The fact of the matter is that the timing and nature of many of our transfers over the last 5 years cronologically (and othewise) contradicts many of the statements you've made between this and your posts in the aforementioned 5 years diatribe.

I think you are what's called a contrarian, where, whatever is said (no matter how rational, sensible and backed up by facts), you feel the need to take the opposite point of view.

You'd be wrong. The undercurrent of my original post was that every team has perceived weaker links and that even 'great' teams need to be greater than the sum of their parts. You piggy-backed off of that to stick the boot in about our recruitment policy.

Look at how much game-time Delph got at City last year.... The examples of this are endless... Whatever level of the game one is playing at.

Look at some our trophy winning teams of yore... They weren't wall to wall 'top players'.

Back
Top Bottom