Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.5%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.3%
  • Slot

Votes: 90 21.6%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 71 17.1%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 32 7.7%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
When are we gone learn?

Nagelsmaan wants to win trophies and complete for titles:
1. Do Spurs fans think he can achieve such with current squad?
2. Do Spurs fans think Enic Levy will change spending policy for Nagelsmaan?

If the answer in NO to both questions then Nagelsmaan will have the same pattern of tenure and ending of Jose and Conte.

When are we gone learn?

If the answer in NO to both questions then Nagelsmaan will have the same pattern of tenure and ending of Jose and Conte.
Answers to your points:

No1. Why shouldn’t JN be able to achieve something with a lot of our squad plus few additions that him and DOF can identify suit his style?
No2. We may not change soendimg anouts but we actually do spend, a lot, mainly on crap players. JN has never been a cheque book manager. He will develop the existing players he wants to keep and as per No1 above identify players he needs.

Mason cannot get the job. His 3 ganes in charge have shown he needs more experience. 2 ganes we have 5 goals away befire reply then we just about beat CP 1-0 with help of HK.

When are we gone learn?

I agree fully with this pattern of thought.

Still, one comment that struck a calming note for me in that Athletic podcast discussing the candidates that was sent around was that Nagelsmann seemed to thrive more in the role of the outsider underdog rather than at the superclub that expects to win everything.

Having been a boyhood Bayern fan played into his taking that job to a significant degree and perhaps that peak of luxury didn't entirely suit him.

Maybe Spurs actually are the shape of a project that would engage him. To want some degree of clarity as to the going-forward plans is just a matter of sanity given the utter chaos of the past five years.

I dunno, I can kinda see it both ways tbh.

So let’s go for Ryan Mason then and bask in mediocrity back to mid table then? Nagelsmaan isn’t a “winning manager” like Conte/ Mourinho is he? He’s a progressive manager that needs the right club to build another project. He is the right man, not Ryan Mason who has about 8 managerial games on his belt. Absolutely ridiculous he’s even being considered.
Tottallly!

We played 3 up front, Kane through the centre and rich and son wide. We struggled again because neither rich or son are wide men in the true sense.

Whenever son and Kane play closer together they playoff each other and can create havoc

Son and Rich cant adapt to the system in terms of the defensive side and when going forward want to play off the defenders shoulder.... If/when son comes deep he is really rotten, can't see a pass hangs onto the ball too long and more often than not loses it.

It's been our season, sacrificing our midfield for a front three system which does not work because of our personnel, and yet Mason was happy to go with it again today. Simply can't accept Mason as a manager on that basis. However maybe he feels that's all the cards he has been dealt.

I'm not sure what manager could be successful with our current squad and even worse our current recruitment system, and only a fool would trust Daniel levy's word.
True but rich is playing in a role where he played regularly for Everton. It’s just that his shit (see other posts in other threads). When we played 4231 son played as wide player in the 3. So he can play that role. I think Dino mk1 got son and Kane to play closer together. However Conte front 3 with a very basic CM pair and WBs who arnt creative enough was never gonna work. Unless one of the front 3 is a Maddison / Ericksen type player. He didn’t want want that type of player as all he jizzed over was WBs. No team in the world relies on their WBs to create and dictate play.

Good for him. I didn't think we'd be going anywhere near him unless Nagelsmann and Slot both fell through, so hopefully he knows we won't be calling as we're close to tying someone else up.
That is what all up coming managers should do. Respect for VK goes ip even more. I’m todays world not just football but everything we have a mentality of the 3 second wonder and build them up to be something they have not yet achieved. Look at lamps and strive g or players like dele, Gordon, sancho, etc making them out to be world beaters. VK will get better experience as a coach / manager with Burnley in PL than if he went to a bigger club with money. His skills will be out to the test more and hopefully in a couple of years clubs like spurs may go for him.

I like Ryan Mason and reckon he could be a good manager some day

You are absolutely insane if you genuinely want him to be our next permanent manager

Insane

I generally agree as I feel like he just needs more time managing somewhere else for the experience. If it felt like the team was in a better place maybe I'd be in favor of giving him a shot at it, but this really does feel like a very critical appointment right now.

The thing is that it feels like a managerial appointment is one of the more fluky signings a club can make. We've broken both Conte and Mourinho and while Poch did good things at Southampton he wasn't exactly taking the world by storm at that point either. It really does seem that it often has to be right manager at the right club at the right time with the right set of players. I don't know if we can say that Mason wouldn't be amazing if he took over as it might just be lightning in a bottle, but if the club was in a better state I think it might be worth the gamble, but we need to try and reduce the risk of a bad appointment. I don't care who we bring in there's absolutely a chance any of them could absolutely bomb in the role.

I like Ryan Mason and reckon he could be a good manager some day

You are absolutely insane if you genuinely want him to be our next permanent manager

Insane

I’m with you but does Slot really give you that much more confidence than Mason?

Very early days but Mason has shown some tactical astuteness for a 31 year old.

I’m with you but does Slot really give you that much more confidence than Mason?

Tbh I don't really know much about Slot

I'd never heard of him til about 3 weeks ago when everyone on here started talking about him

I've made no secret that I think this squad is an absolute mess and I don't think Paratici has really done much to fix our recruitment

So ultimately I'm not at all confident of any choice that ENIC make

We're in for a world of pain over the next couple of years , Mason should not be thrown into that

Yes. A good deal more experience as a coach, and then a lot more as a manager. Mason has managed a handful of games vs Slot who has coached two teams successfully, one of which he's leading to a title. It's in a bit of a shit league but that's a much better C.V than Mason who has a handful of games under his belt.

Slot wouldn't excite me either, but he's a proper coach. Mason is just a romantic choice because people want their Tottenham back or w/e .. there's no actual logic behind it. Let him go elsewhere for a while and develop ffs.

When are we gone learn?

Really not sure why Nagelsmann is getting labelled the same as Conte and Jose.

Up until Bayern job no one spoke of him in this sense.

Most of his bad press has come from his fallout with Neuer(sacking his GK coach), who is 37 has had a massive injury and has to be replaced eventually...... And Nagelsmann riding a skateboard around training ground, also wearing a yellow coat to a match.

His better work was done before Bayern in my opinion

Most of his bad press has come from his fallout with Neuer(sacking his GK coach), who is 37 has had a massive injury and has to be replaced eventually...... And Nagelsmann riding a skateboard around training ground, also wearing a yellow coat to a match.

Couldn’t care less about his fashion choice. Jol wore a tract suit most of the time and looked like a darts player😀

His Bayern team was excellent. Won every champions league game. Who cares if he wants to duke about in a skateboard. He’s a phenomenal coach who has made every team he’s been at better.

Back
Top Bottom