Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
According to this (which could obviously be bollocks - but does quote Ballague) we have approached DeZerbi:

Spurs have been warned that Feyenoord boss Arne Slot will not be willing to leave the Dutch outfit and “jump into total chaos” at a Premier League club.

Tottenham Hotspur have been on the lookout for a new permanent manager since Antonio Conte left the club in March.

They have been linked with the likes of Julian Nagelsmann and Luis Enrique in recent weeks but they are yet to appoint Conte’s permanent successor.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Slot is emerging as a ‘serious candidate’ for the vacant manager’s job at Tottenham.

Slot was targeted by Leeds United earlier this season and he has Feyenoord on track to win the Eredivisie title this season. Dutch journalist Sjoerd Mossou does not think the 44-year-old will leave before next season.

“I mainly think he will stay for private reasons. That he thinks: ‘My children go to school here, I can stay where I live, I have a good life at Feyenoord. I’ll stay another year’,” Mossou said.

“But he is not crazy. He’s not going to jump into total chaos, like at Chelsea. Slot does want to have a few conditions where he can work normally, otherwise you’re fired after two months.

“I think that’s his main thing. Everyone wants to work in the Premier League, how many chances do you get?”

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague meanwhile has indicated that Spurs’ hierarchy are keeping their options open. He has revealed that Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi has “been approached” by the London club.

“In the last two weeks, I’ll give you the names of managers that privately had shown how much in awe they are of Roberto De Zerbi and what he is doing at Brighton,” Balague told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“They love the fact that they chase every ball, they don’t give rivals a chance, they are full of confidence, they don’t have any panic in the way they play, they are very strong in positions, they have midfielders that want the ball even if they have no space.

“Those are Ruben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon manager), Unai Emery, who I spent half an hour listening to him at the Leicester game talking about De Zerbi, Pep [Guardiola], [Mauricio] Pochettino, Xavi and Mikel Arteta.

“They really, really like what he is doing and it’s interesting that it seems his next step is to actually stay at Brighton for one more year to keep learning the league he is in.

“But obviously he has been approached by Spurs and he will have bigger approaches by the sound of it.”

surely this manager runaway must be troubling to most fans
Levy has know since Jan that Conte won't sign a new contract, so who was Levy planning to get this summer ? was there a plan or was he waiting till the last minute ?
there are only a couple of top EPL clubs that may need a manager this summer, (Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle) So if a top manager wants to come to EPL that's about he's pick this year

or is the probelm Levys overview of the team/transfers ?
managers will speak to each other and so Jose & Conte will tell why they left (from their viewpoint)

I can understand Levy wanting some overview of transfers because of the money that's been wasted on players (Ndombele, GLC, Janseen, GKN and many others) that money came from our pockets, if we buy more duffers we fall further behind the top teams, spending big or small its been a probelm

Eh, at that moment there was a lot of upset, not even so much with the sacking of Poch, but long-standing hatred of Jose, as a figure in football generally, not even so much his being a former Chelsea manager.

It was shocking, it was a hell of a roll of the dice.

There was certainly a degree of optimism in some quarters, but I don't think euphoria is right at all. We were all gutted to see it end for Poch so poorly.

Well right, I'm far from certain backing would have guaranteed success either, but it was our only chance and the bare minimum of what Poch deserved and had earned.
The hatred from many on here for Poch at the end was real I'm afraid. Pathetic, disgusting. ..but real, nonetheless.
People have short memories in football. Some plums were even blaming him for many of the poor perfornaces and results we saw under Mourinho.

We're a strange breed, our fanbase.

Quick to turn on every manager when the going gets tough.
Even quicker to defend the spiv with not a sporting bone in his body who hires them, fucks them over, then fires them.

A strange breed indeed.

According to this (which could obviously be bollocks - but does quote Ballague) we have approached DeZerbi:

Spurs have been warned that Feyenoord boss Arne Slot will not be willing to leave the Dutch outfit and “jump into total chaos” at a Premier League club.

Tottenham Hotspur have been on the lookout for a new permanent manager since Antonio Conte left the club in March.

They have been linked with the likes of Julian Nagelsmann and Luis Enrique in recent weeks but they are yet to appoint Conte’s permanent successor.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Slot is emerging as a ‘serious candidate’ for the vacant manager’s job at Tottenham.

Slot was targeted by Leeds United earlier this season and he has Feyenoord on track to win the Eredivisie title this season. Dutch journalist Sjoerd Mossou does not think the 44-year-old will leave before next season.

“I mainly think he will stay for private reasons. That he thinks: ‘My children go to school here, I can stay where I live, I have a good life at Feyenoord. I’ll stay another year’,” Mossou said.

“But he is not crazy. He’s not going to jump into total chaos, like at Chelsea. Slot does want to have a few conditions where he can work normally, otherwise you’re fired after two months.

“I think that’s his main thing. Everyone wants to work in the Premier League, how many chances do you get?”

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague meanwhile has indicated that Spurs’ hierarchy are keeping their options open. He has revealed that Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi has “been approached” by the London club.

“In the last two weeks, I’ll give you the names of managers that privately had shown how much in awe they are of Roberto De Zerbi and what he is doing at Brighton,” Balague told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“They love the fact that they chase every ball, they don’t give rivals a chance, they are full of confidence, they don’t have any panic in the way they play, they are very strong in positions, they have midfielders that want the ball even if they have no space.

“Those are Ruben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon manager), Unai Emery, who I spent half an hour listening to him at the Leicester game talking about De Zerbi, Pep [Guardiola], [Mauricio] Pochettino, Xavi and Mikel Arteta.

“They really, really like what he is doing and it’s interesting that it seems his next step is to actually stay at Brighton for one more year to keep learning the league he is in.

“But obviously he has been approached by Spurs and he will have bigger approaches by the sound of it.”

I was reading earlier how the Brighton players are actually worried because they think he’s going back to Italy and to inter Milan this summer.

Could be De Zerbi ends up a great but also could be that teams get inspired by Brighton, adopt some things, adapt to them and De Zerbi ends up an influencer but not a great.

Either way, it’s great he’s at Brighton because they are such a well run club and good to see you can achieve what they do with a low budget and a plan.

Spurs were like that under Poch and could be that well run but with a much higher budget. We don’t need to poach De Zerbi to do it.

Could be De Zerbi ends up a great but also could be that teams get inspired by Brighton, adopt some things, adapt to them and De Zerbi ends up an influencer but not a great.

Either way, it’s great he’s at Brighton because they are such a well run club and good to see you can achieve what they do with a low budget and a plan.

Spurs were like that under Poch and could be that well run but with a much higher budget. We don’t need to poach De Zerbi to do it.

Plus he seems a bit of a prima Donna and a bellend.

Romano saying it can be done

Has it been leaked what exactly the deal is with Bayern retaining him? It makes zero sense to me. If Bayern sack him, they need to keep paying him (or sort out a compensation package)...I get that. But if it's like any other manager contract then it's only until he's employed elsewhere, So unless Nagelsmann actually wants to be on gardening leave and get his pay, then he will eventually need give up whatever Bayern are paying him.

And at that point, he can just quit like any other manager could (and any other employee of any kind in the EU could). Demanding a fee for an employee no longer working for you doesn't seem legit. What am I missing?

Has it been leaked what exactly the deal is with Bayern retaining him? It makes zero sense to me. If Bayern sack him, they need to keep paying him (or sort out a compensation package)...I get that. But if it's like any other manager contract then it's only until he's employed elsewhere, So unless Nagelsmann actually wants to be on gardening leave and get his pay, then he will eventually need give up whatever Bayern are paying him.

And at that point, he can just quit like any other manager could (and any other employee of any kind in the EU could). Demanding a fee for an employee no longer working for you doesn't seem legit. What am I missing?
The thing about gardening leave is that he isn't sacked in the normal sense. It is more like he is suspended with pay to use a none football term. He is still employed by Bayern and thus gets a monthly salary from them, he just isn't on active duty and could theoretically be brought back should they need him.

Us hiring him will include some form of compensation fee to Bayern in order to cancel out the contract.
We aren't courting a unemployed man, but a man that has been taken out of active duty by his current employer more or less.

Another poster has kind of made sense of it. It's not just about his wages but may be about other parts of his contract package, bonuses or some such.

The thing about gardening leave is that he isn't sacked in the normal sense. It is more like he is suspended with pay to use a none football term. He is still employed by Bayern and thus gets a monthly salary from them, he just isn't on active duty and could theoretically be brought back should they need him.

Us hiring him will include some form of compensation fee to Bayern in order to cancel out the contract.
We aren't courting a unemployed man, but a man that has been taken out of active duty by his current employer more or less.

With you on that part. But he could surely just resign from that job tonight and be hired by us, officially, in two weeks, and then no compensation? We wouldn't exactly be the first club to tap up a player or manager under contract.

Also there must be something specific in Nagelsmann's contract that warrants this. Otherwise why does it not happen more often? Almost all managers are rehired, so if clubs are paying a sacked manager's wages anyway, why do they not all retain said manager on gardening leave and scoop a compensation fee?

Reckon it's also about PR for the Bayern bosses.

they spunked both nuts on bringing him in and his long contract.

They need to save some face in the deal for where he goes next.

Either way, if there is a solid offer for him to work somewhere else, there is incentive for all sides to get something done. Bayern have zero incentive to keep him if they don't get what they want from the deal.

Can't we just go and get that Ralph bloke, then throw the Conte salary at Nagelsmann?

Then let Ralph make the signings that fit Nagelsmann's football. Levy can fill his time with strictly off-field stuff.

We have money as a club, we just keep blowing it on the likes of Ndombele or Richarlison (Richy is a better character but his return on investment has been horrible). Let Ralph spend it instead.

The Simpsons Hello GIF

Give the job to Mason because:

1. His style and setup suit Spurs as opposed to the previous 3 Jose, Nune and Conte.
2. No big name or overseas manager can work under Levy Enic regime, Mason can.
3. Mason is better than any unknow unproven manager, less risk know what to expect.
4. You never know, possibly Mason can have arteta luck next season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom