Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me pitching in as a long term Feyenoord fan. We all hope you guys don't lure Arne away from us but reality is that it's pretty clear that he's keen on a Tottenham move.

I've seen some tweets in this thread stating that Slot has a limited fee release clause. That's not the case, not for this summer at least (there is one that is activated in 2024). He's got a contract until 2025 and expectations are that Feyenoord GM Te Kloese will ask between 10-15 million euro's for Slot. One of the most prominent Feyenoord watchers expects between 15 and 20
I noticed some remarks about Levy being on the cheap side so it still could get interesting.

I think you will like Slot. He's not only naturally charismatic (which helps in dealing with players, staff, fans, board, press) but he's got a very clear picture of how he wants to play. Players praise him for being very clear in what he expects of them.

One thing that might get tricky is that he expects a lot of the players. His high pressure type of play demands that players are extremely fit, and we decided a lot of matches in the final quarter of the game. Players have been working their asses off in the gym, they've been very fanatic in doing all kinds of monthly challenges (avoiding eating sugar, taking ice baths in the morning, yoga sessions). However, players at Feyenoord are in the beginning of their career. The big question will be if Slot will be able to achieve the same level of fanaticism in a squad that is further in their career.

Kökçü has been absolutely stellar this season, the best performance I've seen by a Feyenoordplayer in the past decades (and that includes players like Van Persie). He's been an instrumental playmaker, always looking for the forward pass. He's not a DM though, his defensive game is not his strength (he used to be a 10 in the youth but he's much better as an 8). He was the best man on the pitch in both matches against AS Roma (EL QF) so he's able to perform at a high level. He and Slot have such a connection that we expect them to leave together.

It's likely that Slot will also want to bring his assistant Marino Pusic. The position of Sipke Hulshof, one of his other assistants, will be interesting. Hulshof was already working at Feyenoord when Slot arrived, and is being regarded as an outstanding field coach and tactician. Feyenoord will want to retain him. However, his contract expires next summer so the club has a decision to make.

As a Feyenoord fan I would hate to lose Arne Slot and I feverishly hope he will stick around one more year for Champions League football with us. However, if a team like Spurs would approach him and really be interested in backing him I can’t imagine he would turn that down.

This coach is no Frank de Boer as I’ve seen mentioned earlier in the thread. FdB was an Ajax disciple who was in fact reviled at Ajax for not winning more, and more dominantly considering their outrageous advantage in talent and money. He was also a bore. Slot has had a lot less to work with so far in his career. He started with AZ where he was tied with Ajax on points before the season was cancelled due to COVID. Then he joined Feyenoord where he finished his first season in third where Advocaat the previous season ended a distant 5th. On top of that he made the conference league finals which he lost to a typical Mourinho performance versus Roma. This season he is in the QF of the Europa League after annihilating Shakhtar Donetsk 8-2 on aggregate, in the semi-final of the Dutch cup versus Ajax this Wednesday, and 8 points clear in the eredivisie over Ajax and PSV having beaten Ajax in Amsterdam for the first time in 25 years. Ajax has a budget almost three times as much as Feyenoord and even more then that to AZ. Imagine if Man City spent twice as much as they do now and Spurs stayed the same and then you have the discrepancy of Ajax versus Feyenoord. Slot has the results in a very short coaching career to be an interesting prospect.

Aside from that though, I can tell you he is an amazing man manger who gets the absolute most out of his entire squad (which at Feyenoord is relatively limited). His starting eleven all produce, but so does any of the backups who regularly play having to fight on three fronts for the entire season. Players I have either never heard of or laughed at for being scrubs at smaller eredivisie teams have succeeded beyond my wildest expectations. He gets the most out of his players and he has a great rapport with the team, all the while still being a bit of a taskmaster in terms of work output…

I can’t expand much on tactics for Slot, maybe others with more nous in that area can. What I can say is that he has provided the most attractive attacking football for Feyenoord in 30 years, hell, maybe ever. I’m pretty convinced he will end up being a top coach somewhere and I think Spurs could do a lot worse then Slot.

Doom Funk

Mega-Tingz , The Piedmont , Touch Grass, ok
With yet another clueless manager unable to work with our world class squad and facilities , I think it’s time we start to assess the possible candidates for the hot seat once Antonio departs

A list comprised of ex Chelsea managers and ex Juventus managers seems the most plausible route that this great footballing operation will gravitate towards

Oh and Phil brown because .. he’s probably about our level

Let the discussion begin

COYS

For anyone saying "Good luck Poch", may I remind you that he is working for one of the most disgusting, toxic clubs with fans that hate our guts and revel in our demise. Oh and regularly feel the need to sing anti-semitic chants at us?

Please go and support them if you're that obsessed with Pochettino. It's embarrassing.

Celtic fan in peace.

Apologies, I couldn't help myself. Also I have alot of Spurs fan friends from London, so whilst not "worried" about your beautiful club taking our wonderful manager, I thought it apt to weigh in with a perspective.

Ange is NOT for you.

He knows it. We know it.

I'm pretty sure you guys know it.

And yes, Im fully expecting all the "wee club / backwater" pish that usually drips out of EPL fans, but I'd like to think Spurs fans are different, and if not, at least aware of their current circumstances.

Ange is not for you for the primary reason of TIME.
He won't get any.

Ange Postecoglous style of football, whilst not an anomaly to the EPL, is extremely specific. Currently, you do not have the players to perform for him. Including , but not limited to, your FB positions, wingers, and centre Mids. Ironically, your CB positions wouldn't bother him. (Thanks for CCV btw, literally the best CB we've had since VVD, and that's not an exaggeration, he's an absolute wall.).

If I may also say, your players don't have the requisite attitude to play for him.
He's a hard ass. Nothing less than 100% sees a player dropped and there's NEVER a complaint from Celtic players. They know the demands They know his mantra. They know his resolve. He demands absolute obedience to his "philosophy" and any notion of disharmony to his footballing ideals is usually met with the subs bench.
Forgive me for saying, but the current players at Tottenham don't exactly exude obedience, or indeed acquiescence to leadership.

Frankly speaking, Ange Postecoglou would need 8 months and a budget of at least 100m.

He's worked absolute wonders with us with a budget of under 40 in two windows. But that's because he knows the market he's shopping in.

With Spurs, you'd need at least DOUBLE that in ONE window, to at least give the Spurs fans some faith. Some proof of his ideas and to see the fruits of his labours.

The EPL is ruthless.

Now, on to the unfortunate truth.

At this moment in time, another Celtic manager is absolutely PERFECT for you.

Yep. Dickhead Rodgers.

And yes, he's a MASSIVE dickhead.

But what he also is, is one of the finest man managers in European football. He can take a squad on its knees and have it playing a great brand of football that blows oppositions away. He gives belief and purpose to players.

What he can't do is sign a fucking player to save his life.
He comes with baggage.

An entourage of halfwits who don't have a FUCKING CLUE what a player looks like.

I'm sure I don't need to go into specifics, as history reads itself quite well.

EVERY team he's managed have a two year "glory" period.
Then.. it's all downhill. He signs shite, keeps playing the shite, and then ends up defending or attacking same shite.

Make no mistake, he CANNOT be allowed to sign players.
A DoF who has the balls to tell him to stfu is essential.

It's literally why he jumped ship from us. The club let him sign nearly 15m worth of pish (real money in our "backwater") and decided to sign players that scouts recommended instead.
He's on record complaining about it.",I don't need anymore wingers" etc etc.

But, I digress.

Ange is not for you.

Rodgers is, but for two seasons MAX.

Then find a manager with an actual fucking plan to bring your club to where it should be.

A European FORCE.

Ta ta and goodbye.

Good luck to yas. Always had a wee soft spot.

Now fuck away off away from Big Ange ☺️

Depressing are the people who keep moaning, even though the club has been in an upward trajectory the past 20 years. And who don't understand that the final hurdle is always the most difficult and takes the most time. Not just depressing, but detached from reality too.
There’s no such thing as a ‘final hurdle’. This is the fundamental flaw in how you view things. You have this idea that there is a perfect correlation between fiscal health and success. And that we will reach this certain monetary point and achieve nirvana. Money provides the foundation, but clear and effective footballing strategy does the rest.

And that’s the bit that you and the French guy keep excusing - the football bit. That’s why I want ENIC gone. A remorseless track record of shit footballing decisions.

Trophy winning sides are cyclical. You have to build a generational team that will compete and win. See Liverpool. A few games away from winning the Quadruple. Now floundering. But you can bet your fucking bottom dollar they will be competing for the title before us. They won’t spend that much more. But they will identify the problem areas, address them, put in place a plan and aim for the title in 2025.

We won’t. We will buy a random selection of players, Maddison et al, hire a manager, sack him 18 months later and repeat.

ENIC have no footballing DNA and no vision for the what the team is and what it represents.

There’s also been the suggestion that we’ve had no luck. I’d suggest that having the greatest striker of the last three or four decades fall into your lap is pretty fucking lucky. But, as seems to always be the case, we’ll waste the opportunity.

He's no ones first choice pick. But I do think that we have players that would suit Rodgers.

he's not a 3 at the back coach. But he does like to build up through the wings, which definitely suits our squad.

michael GIF

A timeline of Spurs fan’s reaction to managerial appointments

Nagelsmaan gets sacked by Bayern

Vince Mcmahon Laughing GIF by WWE

We get linked with him the next day

Oh My God Reaction GIF

Rumours start to slow and Pochettino links come back

vince mcmahon wwe GIF

Spurs fans enjoying their Sunday and news surfaces of Brendan Rogers getting sacked

Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

The links start streaming in

shocked vince mcmahon GIF by WWE

Spurs appoint Brendan

vince mcmahon wrestling GIF by WWE

Google Translate has a few quirks but think I've got the gist here:

"When I was a little boy, my mother gave me a little toy, a Woolwich fan on a string, she told me to kick his fucking head in. Hahahah, yes this is what Julian and I sing most nights.

My Dad gave me a Tottenham shirt, with Klinsmann printed on the back for Christmas and I've still got at home, in fact I managed to get it signed by him and it's now framed and above my bed.

I love Tottenham and especially Daniel Levy who I think is a very handsome man, especially in his navy blue power suits he wears to make him look bigger than he is.

I've spent many nights with Julian wearing our Spurs shirts watching their games and, we've often dreamt together singing Nagelsmann's Blue and White Army". Good times.

Up The Spurs"

After Conte. I’ll be taking a break from football. Putting it simply, ENIC don’t deserve our attention, money or time. They have prostituted our club. Dragging its name and reputation through the mud.

They’ve got one last chance to make things right in the summer if and only if Conte is still here, otherwise I’m done. Nothing less than a total squad overhaul and a significant investment into the players that HE wants will be accepted.

Otherwise we might as well just employ Tim Sherwood and admit that we’re content with just staying in the Premier League.

Arne Slot would be a HUGE mistake. Let's face it... the Dutch League is not a competitive league and the jump to the Premier League is just too big. I mean look how Erik Ten Hag was annointed as the next great manager and he's been hugely underwhelming. Manchester United fans are already complaining how ETH's tactics are getting worse and worse and how they play boring football.

Go ahead and watch Feyenoord's games in the Europa League - teams that are at or near Feyenoord's level. And they played really bad. Sarri's Lazio dominated them and same with Roma in the quarterfinals.

b8340yosyr0b1.jpg

Not to mention that Slot does not uphold Tottenham's values. He encourages hooligan behavior - it's no surprise that both AZ Alkmaar and Feyenoord fans have exhibited unsavory behavior since Slot became manager.

We need Ryan Mason, someone who understands what Tottenham is all about and has players fighting for the badge. See how the players fought against Manchester City in the Carabao Cup, how they came back against Manchester United and Liverpool this season. We don't need Arne Slot aka a fatter Peter Bosz.
First of all, ManU will be playing Champions League and you guys will be playing Conference League at best. ETH is a completely different coach than Arne Slot. Comparing them by just being Dutch and coming from Eredivisie is really thin, you get that right?

In the quarter finals against Roma, Feyenoord won the first match. The second match was won by Roma in the last minute. Roma has a budget that is 3 times higher than Feyenoord and players as Dyballa, Tammy Abraham and Smalling. Feyenoord lost really unfortunate and AS Roma was celebrating because they felt they won from a really organized and quality team coached and build from the ground up by Arne Slot.

Oh yeah, and Feyenoord became not only champions but achieved that with brilliant football, tactics and won the title by a landslide. We call it Slotball at Feyenoord. We are 13 points ahead of Ajax whom invested more than 100mln Euros last summer.

Complaining about his values is just utter bullshit. You don’t seem to speak Dutch because he condemns is it in every possible way. He is a really decent guy. At Feyenoord there hasn’t been much incidents (and there always been some of it, nothing to do with coaches) and at AZ… really?? They guy left 2 years ago and now there was a riot and you blame it to Slot. Your thinking is completely off here.

last thing, reading all these kind of complains here on your forum tells me that you guys don’t deserve a top class manager as Arne Slot who can bring attractive/offensive football combined with success and developing players to a higher level. You guys want more of the same as last couple of years… great to see you at place 8 if that is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom