Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
I just don’t see why it needs to be someone with prior EPL experience.

Plenty of managers have come into the league and been (relatively) successful without prior experience. I’m not sure I want an unsuccessful retread on the basis of experience.
There's also a gap between "no managerial experience in the Premier League" and "no exposure to the British football culture and ethos" that a lot of the names above (Kompany, Alonso, Postecoglu, Carrick) fall into.

When those successful outside managers talk about their experiences making that transition, it's always that cultural stuff they mention as opposed to getting up to the speed of the league.

He'll do things with fan-pleasing as their aim (binning Graham for Hoddle, bringing Bale back on loan), but I think this is exactly right, he doesn't see the angle with Poch, and he sees it as admitting defeat which he hates more than anything.

He also never felt comfortable working with Poch, I think that plays a factor here too.
I think that he has his own little "perfect plan" for how he will bring Poch back.

It will either be after a rebuild when the team has been prepped for a title push, so that Poch can come in and challenge immediately. Or it will be after someone else has won a title of some kind, so Poch can helm a "project" like his first time but coming off of positive vibes.

Potter, Rodgers or a solid and proven European manager.

Not Nagelsmann full stop or Kompany, untested as yet.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

It's very obvious what's going on here.

Boehly is demanding the new manager win immediately with the resources he's already gone to enormous expense to buy.

The job is to pick the right players to sell in order to get the squad size to a sensible level and then go challenge for major honors. There's some room for tinkering around the margin, but the big money has been spent, this is not a rebuild, it's not a long term squad overhaul.

Nagelsmann and Enrique fancy themselves Pep/Klopp project overseers who want to build a team to their liking, this isn't their cup of tea and talks with Boehly & Co. are revealing that clearly.

But it's a very similar remit to Poch's initial job at Spurs, which was to make the best of the foundering Bale Seven, which he did while ruthlessly showing the door to anyone who didn't fit his plans.

Poch actually makes much more sense for Chelsea than he does for us, horrific as that is.
I don't think Poch will last long at Chelsea. He'll either want players sold that Boehly has absolutely no intention of selling, or he'll have a hell of a time trying to keep all players happy and it will go tits up. As opposed to Spurs, the players Chelsea bought all came in for a significant fee and with expectations of featuring, so much more difficult to manage.

Don't mind us not going for Poch if it was to appoint Nagelsmann, De Zerbi or possibly Enrique. Will be pretty sour if he goes to Chelsea and we end up with Slot, Amorim or Glasner.
I would have phrased it the other way around. Much more excited about Slot and Glasner than Naggy or DZ.

I don't think Poch will last long at Chelsea. He'll either want players sold that Boehly has absolutely no intention of selling, or he'll have a hell of a time trying to keep all players happy and it will go tits up. As opposed to Spurs, the players Chelsea bought all came in for a significant fee and with expectations of featuring, so much more difficult to manage.
Oh I disagree, Chelsea wants to sell players and knows they have to. Squad limits alone mean they have to get rid of some senior internationals

And they'll have assets people want to buy too, such is how overstuffed they are.

If they get a mind to sell low on Sterling we should bite their fucking hand off. Havertz too.

I would imagine the only two that are off-limits are Enzo and Mudryk.

Trying to be positive, I can see a logical reason why Nagelsmann might turn down Chavs, but still be open to us.

Chavs are in a uniquely odd position. A stack of new players on absurdly long contracts with little to no squad turnover in the next few years. If he doesn’t fancy the players, he might just think it’s not worth his time.

In contrast, even though we’re on the ropes at the moment, we really can offer him a project, on his terms (hopefully).

I don’t think so.

Firstly, we’ll have to pay for Slot. Secondly, we are in a Godawful mess and Levy will absolutely crave PL experience. Not sure now is the time to chance our luck on an extremely fresh Dutch newcomer.

I think it will be Rodgers on a shorter term contract.
Yeah apparently £25m just to sack him when he is a disater

Back
Top Bottom