Newport County v. Tottenham Hotspur ||| FA Cup 4th round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not debating the performance of several of our players. I agree that there were some awful performances out there yesterday. What I will say is that it is unusual for so many players to underperform.
Unfortunately, Sissoko plays like that every week. He tries very hard, & runs around a lot quite quickly. And that’s it. He doesn’t possess the skill set of a top tier footballer. His shooting is erratic & his passing is wayward. I suppose we all see different things in players & see games differently, but I don’t see anything about Sissoko that says “premier league player”. He reminds me of Carlton Palmer.

His passing is not erratic

Usually one touch to one of his teammates

Shooting not good I agree but you’re missing out one of his best attributes in his covering and marking all over the pitch, popping up in LB, RB helping his teammates out

I recognise this as does Poch

Think I’m in good company

Before we all lose our minds, the F.A. Cup is all about, and needs results like this. It has happened to better teams than us and will again. Whilst we were out battled in the first half, we absolutely bossed the second. Newport were out on their feet after an hour an keeping to the plan to play through them brought the equaliser. We have all enjoyed other clubs being dumped out of the cup by minnows and long may it continue. Yesterday was our turn in the chair, but let's not forget that their players were nothing short of heroic. Were we beaten, I would have applauded Newport off the pitch, and rightly so. If you believe that this game was only about us, then you have no soul.
Missed this post.
Well said that man.
I remember when we only managed a draw against Altrincham in 1979. Played them at Maine Road in the replay (i was there, aged 9) & thoroughly fucked them.
They had a dirty cunt of a captain (John King I seem to recall-big beardy fucker anyway) who’d made all sorts of promises about what he would do to Ossie.
Anyway, Ossie ran him fucking ragged all night. He was literally chasing shadows & looked a beaten man after about 20 minutes.
I predict this will happen against Newport after their “hard man” tactics against us.

It’s great for the FA cup when results like this pop up, & great for the smaller club to get a big payday. I take nothing away from Newport at all.
But they will get run ragged in the replay. I’m confident

So do I but he was poor on Saturday along with Wanyama and Trippier and Llorente

Thank fuck for Sissoko I say
Have a funny for that.
You really are a Sissoko fan. Fair enough.
Did you not watch the second half though?

He was the best of an awful bunch in the first half, granted. But that’s not saying a lot for him I’m afraid.
And second half he again looked like he was wearing his boots on the wrong feet.
Lad gives plenty of effort, but lacks any class, skill or guile.
Sorry Baz. Have to agree to disagree on this player.

Sometimes you have to give credit where it’s due. Most PL players are not used to playing football on surfaces or at places like that.
It’s a fact.
Maybe they are a bit pampered.
Yet Newport were brilliant. They used their place and style and had a plan, like with Leeds, and it nearly paid off.
We wouldn’t be the first team to slip up and it wouldn’t be the first time for us either.
It’s the FA cup. It’s what it's all about.
Yet they have fucked us over even if we manage to beat them
Seeing as we have 3 days rest after Man U before facing Liverpool, we now have two days rest after Liverpool, then Newport with another 2 days rest before Woolwich. Then 2 days rest before Juve away.
Great.
Can’t see us lining up any stronger next time if we have aspirations of top 4.
The thing that beats lower league teams is pace. I would play a solid defence and the 6 fastest players in the club.
Which is probably why I'm not a top flight manager.

one touch passing helps to beat teams, but we have hardly any players that can see the pass as the ball is coming to them,
we can't move the ball fast enough because most in this team need to control the ball move a step then look up for the pass, that is too late, in the most EPL games (like the top division in grassroot leagues we all play in) players allow you time on the ball, but when lower club's play higher club's most of the time they don't give you time on the ball

The thing that beats lower league teams is guile. Everyone can be fit, but not everyone is blessed with skill. Our players don’t train on shit pitches and it shows.
Players with pace and skill go to the top clubs, it's a winning combination
Kyle walkers an idiot as a footballer but he went for 50 million because he can tackle and run fast. I wouldn't say he was packed out with guile, would you?

Players with pace and skill go to the top clubs, it's a winning combination
Kyle walkers an idiot as a footballer but he went for 50 million because he can tackle and run fast. I wouldn't say he was packed out with guile, would you?
I don’t think Man City are wholly reliant on Walker’s pace to put the dross to bed. You’ve now brought ‘skill’ into the discussion, which wasn’t the statement I responded to. That’s an entirely different conversation. You said ‘pace’, not ‘pace and skill’. Sissoko has pace.

Last edited:
I don’t think Man City are wholly reliant on Walker’s pace to put the dross to bed. You’ve now brought ‘skill’ into the discussion, which wasn’t the statement I responded to. That’s an entirely different conversation. You said ‘pace’, not ‘pace and skill’. Sissoko has pace.
Yep I'd include him in the team.
I kind of assumed that because they were at a premier league team that most of our players, including the seconds and youth would possess a fair bit of skill.
Sadly I think we will just knacker the first teamers out.

They went quiet quick didn't they?
What happend to that "great" support hmmm
To be fair we went quiet for a few minutes because it was the only time we heard Spurs fans with the "One of our own" song. The only time we heard you in 90 minutes!! I'm sure you'll spank us in the replay but it was a great occasion and good to have so many friendly away fans around the city centre.

Yep I'd include him in the team.
I kind of assumed that because they were at a premier league team that most of our players, including the seconds and youth would possess a fair bit of skill.
Sadly I think we will just knacker the first teamers out.
Well I think the ‘Sissoko’ question would invalidate that statement - he has no discernible skill.

To be fair we went quiet for a few minutes because it was the only time we heard Spurs fans with the "One of our own" song. The only time we heard you in 90 minutes!! I'm sure you'll spank us in the replay but it was a great occasion and good to have so many friendly away fans around the city centre.

Yawn. You sang a bit in your cup final. Have a biscuit.

Missed this post.
Well said that man.
I remember when we only managed a draw against Altrincham in 1979. Played them at Maine Road in the replay (i was there, aged 9) & thoroughly fucked them.
They had a dirty cunt of a captain (John King I seem to recall-big beardy fucker anyway) who’d made all sorts of promises about what he would do to Ossie.
Anyway, Ossie ran him fucking ragged all night. He was literally chasing shadows & looked a beaten man after about 20 minutes.
I predict this will happen against Newport after their “hard man” tactics against us.

It’s great for the FA cup when results like this pop up, & great for the smaller club to get a big payday. I take nothing away from Newport at all.
But they will get run ragged in the replay. I’m confident
We are a very physical side. Leave aside skill, Newport have nobody in the same league as Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko or Llorente as a physical specimen. Unless the Ref just turns a blind eye to dirty play we should never get bullied by any side.

Back
Top Bottom