New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes Paxton used to be considered the home end. The ability to walk round was stopped after hundreds did during half time against Chelsea sometime in the 70's. I think that may have been the game when the floodlights failed.
The centre of the shelf then became the main singing area, and this moved to the cage end of the shelf when the west stand was demolished and the standing season ticket holders (me included) were moved from the enclosure to the centre of the shelf.

The Paxton was actually better than the park lane I seem to remember.
Early 90s used to stand Behind the goal on Paxton. We used to sing park lane give us a song. Remember more often than not we didn’t get a reply. Sure we used to make the most noise then. Recently park lane (and south side of the shelf) it’s funny how it’s moved around

The Park lane was the original end. You could walk round the entire ground in the 60s and 70s, Woolwich once came in when the gates opened the Saturday after they won the Fairs Cup - no really - in 1970, and mobbed the Park Lane, the afternoon was just a series of battles.
Chelsea, West Ham usually ended up with everyone chasing everyone else all round the ground. Lot of Northern clubs never knew this and subsequently got ambushed.
Dreadful behaviour, which I of course don't condone.
Incidentally, my Avatar shows the Park Lane partially closed after fans used catapults to fire staples at the Newcastle keeper, I think.Rumour was that the kids were Gooners!
I'm the one in the Maroon jumper above the R in the Spurs banner. How cool do I look? Or not.

The Park lane was the original end. You could walk round the entire ground in the 60s and 70s, Woolwich once came in when the gates opened the Saturday after they won the Fairs Cup - no really - in 1970, and mobbed the Park Lane, the afternoon was just a series of battles.
Chelsea, West Ham usually ended up with everyone chasing everyone else all round the ground. Lot of Northern clubs never knew this and subsequently got ambushed.
Dreadful behaviour, which I of course don't condone.
Incidentally, my Avatar shows the Park Lane partially closed after fans used catapults to fire staples at the Newcastle keeper, I think.Rumour was that the kids were Gooners!
I'm the one in the Maroon jumper above the R in the Spurs banner. How cool do I look? Or not.
Always loved that pic. Prey that the new stadium will see a new generation that can afford to go on mass.
#neverred. Lol

Yes Paxton used to be considered the home end. The ability to walk round was stopped after hundreds did during half time against Chelsea sometime in the 70's. I think that may have been the game when the floodlights failed.
The centre of the shelf then became the main singing area, and this moved to the cage end of the shelf when the west stand was demolished and the standing season ticket holders (me included) were moved from the enclosure to the centre of the shelf.

Yes I think I was at the match you describe but the Chelsea fans were in the Paxton and I was in the Park lane with a vocal Spurs support. Both sets of supporters were chanting the usual insults at each other. It suddenly went quiet down the other end and then a large group of Chelsea supporters appeared in the Park lane having walked around the back of the East stand. The old bill were still in Paxton looking baffled at what was happening whilst it all kicked off in the Park lane. The match I recall was on a Saturday afternoon and I cannot recall any floodlight failure.

It’s interesting the way the Lane changed over the years.
My first standing games were at the Paxton due to the Junior Spurs membership. As I git older we went to Park Lane mainly. In those days as I remember it Paxton was open terracing and the Park Lane still had the fencing due to away fans.

Wonder if the New stadium could evolve like that. I know some people like to be near the away fans and that single tier will atttract a lot of tourists so maybe both ends will be noisy over time.

Revamped White Hart Lane ‘to emulate US stadia’
egi-avatar.png
By Rebecca Kent25/10/2017 | Leisure | LondonPrintDownload
White-Hart-Lane-CGI-1-847-775x270.png

A manager overseeing the redevelopment of the £850m Tottenham Hotspur football stadium and surrounding area, has explained how the north London club aims to replicate the “all-day” stadium experience of America.

Tony Davison, commercial manager for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, said his club aspired to make the new 61,559-seat stadium, which is due to open in August 2018, “at least as good as the Americans’ and certainly the best in Europe”.

He said: “We spent a lot of time asking fans what they wanted and they were not ambitious enough. The average footballer simply wants to go to the toilet without a queue and get a beer and a pie. But we thought, ‘Let’s think bigger. We’ve been to Dallas and Orlando. We’ve seen the stadiums they’re delivering over there and they do it so well.’ We’ve learned from the best.

“This redevelopment is not just about selling 90 minutes of football. It’s about selling a full-day’s experience so that corporate clients, fans and members, from home and away, will turn up hours before the game, stay for hours after, and really get involved with the area and everything around it.

“Why should fans settle for a pie? Why can’t it be a lamb flatbread, and food inspired by the local community? There will be a micro brewery on site. Why can’t we sell our own brand beer, or Tottenham Hotspur gin? This area is well known for its gin production.”

The new stadium is the centrepiece of a wider regeneration of the area led by Haringey Council, and supported to the tune of £62m by the mayor of London, including an improved White Hart Lane Station and Tottenham High Road.

In September Haringey Council chose LendLease as the preferred developer for the area known as High Road West, including new homes, a library, community hub, civic square, a new industrial hub at Peacock Industrial Estate and green spaces.

In addition to hosting English Premier League football, the new stadium will host American NFL games, concerts and other sports events.

CBRE Hotels is courting operators on behalf of the club for the 180-bedroom hotel element of the project, which will include a restaurant, rooftop bar, swimming pool and private members’ room.

At MIPIM UK, Davison said creative thinking had gone into the rebuild, which will include a “sky walk” so people can walk on the roof of the stadium, and there will be WiFi throughout the stadium.

“When fans come in, their jaws are going to hit the ground because they’re going to be amazed by everything we’re going to deliver for them,” he said.

Describing Tottenham Hotspur has a “property company that happens to do football”, he explained that the redevelopment was critical to the longevity of the club.

“Ultimately, any penny we earn ends up back on the pitch, and every seat will help towards buying a new centre forward, or a new full back or centre half. We want Harry Kane to keep scoring goals for us. And if we can use our redevelopment and construction to deliver that, then excellent.”

To send feedback, e-mail [email protected] or tweet @Writer_RKent or @estatesgazette

“We spent a lot of time asking fans what they wanted and they were not ambitious enough. The average footballer simply wants to go to the toilet without a queue and get a beer and a pie. But we thought, ‘Let’s think bigger. We’ve been to Dallas and Orlando. We’ve seen the stadiums they’re delivering over there and they do it so well.’ We’ve learned from the best.

So basically, we asked the fans what THEY want. It wasn’t what we want so we will do what we want anyway. Sounds like they want a different type of fan at the stadium, but that type of fan definitely won’t make all the noise. They can’t have it both ways. If they introduce those clackers to try to drown out the away supporters singing “your support is ffff shit” I will die

“We spent a lot of time asking fans what they wanted and they were not ambitious enough. The average footballer simply wants to go to the toilet without a queue and get a beer and a pie. But we thought, ‘Let’s think bigger. We’ve been to Dallas and Orlando. We’ve seen the stadiums they’re delivering over there and they do it so well.’ We’ve learned from the best.

So basically, we asked the fans what THEY want. It wasn’t what we want so we will do what we want anyway. Sounds like they want a different type of fan at the stadium, but that type of fan definitely won’t make all the noise. They can’t have it both ways. If they introduce those clackers to try to drown out the away supporters singing “your support is ffff shit” I will die

The club got it seriously wrong with the drum at Wembley but reacted quickly.
I really hope you are not correct and we end up posting about ourselves in the "Modern football is broken" thread.

Hopefully they can separate the tourists from the noisy cunts somehow.

I didn't read it the same way and got the positives from it although hope I'm not eating my words in the future!

The game has changed though and as long as the club still caters for the honest fans then the improvements they are trying to make should be a good thing.

I like the idea that they didn't just settle with what we want and are trying to make it bigger and better, they seem to have done the right thing with the stadium build and the changes they made to the design whilst waiting for the plans to be approved/Haringay to pull their finger out/Archway to stop being a problem, so I'm going to trust them with this - plus I'm rather partial to a craft beer with my lamb flatbread!

Agree about the clackers though and as has been said they did learn their lesson quick with that silly drum.

Curious about the pannelling around the stadium in Chris Cowlin's video (about 1min in). Where you can see the larger panels put in higher up the stadium it made me think why we have smaller and irregular shape panel's lower down above the windows? Is it aesthetics or are the smaller panels for a purpose?

If they can do big panels then why not just use those as surely cheaper.

It must be a quiet day for me to be thinking about panels.......

Curious about the pannelling around the stadium in Chris Cowlin's video (about 1min in). Where you can see the larger panels put in higher up the stadium it made me think why we have smaller and irregular shape panel's lower down above the windows? Is it aesthetics or are the smaller panels for a purpose?

If they can do big panels then why not just use those as surely cheaper.

It must be a quiet day for me to be thinking about panels.......

It may be to do with acoustics.
Akin to using "egg-boxes" on the walls in a recording studio.

egi-avatar.png

A manager overseeing the redevelopment of the £850m Tottenham Hotspur football stadium and surrounding area, has explained how the north London club aims to replicate the “all-day” stadium experience of America.

Tony Davison, commercial manager for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, said his club aspired to make the new 61,559-seat stadium, which is due to open in August 2018, “at least as good as the Americans’ and certainly the best in Europe”.

He said: “We spent a lot of time asking fans what they wanted and they were not ambitious enough. The average footballer simply wants to go to the toilet without a queue and get a beer and a pie. But we thought, ‘Let’s think bigger. We’ve been to Dallas and Orlando. We’ve seen the stadiums they’re delivering over there and they do it so well.’ We’ve learned from the best.

“This redevelopment is not just about selling 90 minutes of football. It’s about selling a full-day’s experience so that corporate clients, fans and members, from home and away, will turn up hours before the game, stay for hours after, and really get involved with the area and everything around it.

“Why should fans settle for a pie? Why can’t it be a lamb flatbread, and food inspired by the local community? There will be a micro brewery on site. Why can’t we sell our own brand beer, or Tottenham Hotspur gin? This area is well known for its gin production.”

The new stadium is the centrepiece of a wider regeneration of the area led by Haringey Council, and supported to the tune of £62m by the mayor of London, including an improved White Hart Lane Station and Tottenham High Road.

In September Haringey Council chose LendLease as the preferred developer for the area known as High Road West, including new homes, a library, community hub, civic square, a new industrial hub at Peacock Industrial Estate and green spaces.

In addition to hosting English Premier League football, the new stadium will host American NFL games, concerts and other sports events.

CBRE Hotels is courting operators on behalf of the club for the 180-bedroom hotel element of the project, which will include a restaurant, rooftop bar, swimming pool and private members’ room.

At MIPIM UK, Davison said creative thinking had gone into the rebuild, which will include a “sky walk” so people can walk on the roof of the stadium, and there will be WiFi throughout the stadium.

“When fans come in, their jaws are going to hit the ground because they’re going to be amazed by everything we’re going to deliver for them,” he said.

Describing Tottenham Hotspur has a “property company that happens to do football”, he explained that the redevelopment was critical to the longevity of the club.

“Ultimately, any penny we earn ends up back on the pitch, and every seat will help towards buying a new centre forward, or a new full back or centre half. We want Harry Kane to keep scoring goals for us. And if we can use our redevelopment and construction to deliver that, then excellent.”

To send feedback, e-mail [email protected] or tweet @Writer_RKent or @estatesgazette
I hope a lot of the things said in there are all very much kept to the corporate boxes rather than the normal stands

:pochfacepalm: I can never see this being re-quoted in the future :pochrolleyes:
You know something, of all the guff in that propaganda statement, that bit leapt out at me.
A property company that “happens to do Football”? Oh dear. It was a football club long before it was a fucking “property company”.
And how much are these mega days out going to cost?
This statement has got me a bit worried. They don’t want fans, they want high paying clients. And they are flashing their knickers at the corporates with all this cheese room & gin palace bollocks.
What’s wrong with a few pints, a pie & a good old sing song for the team?

I’m betting a “full day out” at the new ground would run into hundreds of pounds & the side shows could very well detract from the main event.

Last edited:
You know something, of all the guff in that propaganda statement, that bit leapt out at me.
A property company that “happens to do Football”? Oh dear. It was a football club long before it was a fucking “property company”.
And how much are these mega days out going to cost?
This statement has got me a bit worried. They don’t want fans, they want high paying clients. And they will are flashing their knickers at the corporates with all this cheese room & gin palace bollocks.
What’s wrong with a few pints, a pie & a good old sing song for the team?

I’m betting a “full day out” at the new ground would run into hundreds of pounds & the side shows could very well detract from the main event.

I don't have a problem with the idea of having facilities that people would want to use before or after the game - but the prop co stuff is worrying, this is exactly what the Scum became.....it was all of a sudden far more lucrative for them to put their money into building another block of apartments than into the team.

I don't see that happening with Spurs, as the property values will never support the same level of development as in Islington.

egi-avatar.png

There is enough in here to take two ways. First point I will make is that it's a property publication, so it has that tone which is addressed to the audience, property people. Levy does this when he talks to an American audience about the stadium and American Football, he will always use the term "soccer". As a businessman myself this is appropriate language when addressing your target audience. But as a football fan it's always annoying to hear any language differ to that of football, or the club.

I am actually hugely encouraged about creating an all day experience. Nothing better for an atmosphere if people are turning up early, nothing like the buzz of turning up to a game a few hours before and enjoying the social before, hopefully if the social after the game is good as well this will stop cunts leaving a game 10 mins before the end of the game to "beat the traffic", In Argentina the build up is long, starts early and is a fiesta. The caution or doubts I have however, would be if it's all this activity is in the stadium, by that I mean the cafes, bars, Pubs etc.. around the ground may be left competing with the stadium and lose out. But to flip the coin, they do make reference to investment around the Stadium so will have to see how this pans out before I stick the knife in. My ideal scenario would be to have 50k fans in Tottenham 2hrs before a game, with the choice to enjoy either a pub or cafe outside as much as inside.

On a personal level I can't wait to get some decent grub in that place. The food in the old gaff was diabolical, and that's if there was anything actually available to buy. As for the piss that was served and the label of beer, well the less said about that the better.

The more I read, the more I know that South Stand is for me. Having a pizza anywhere else in the stadium, washed down with an Iced tea and popcorn I think would drive me nuts.

I don't have a problem with the idea of having facilities that people would want to use before or after the game - but the prop co stuff is worrying, this is exactly what the Scum became.....it was all of a sudden far more lucrative for them to put their money into building another block of apartments than into the team.

I don't see that happening with Spurs, as the property values will never support the same level of development as in Islington.
I just think the proposed match day experience is so far removed from what a lot of us are used to that it may become unrecognisable. Not saying that it’s necessarily a bad thing, but if it is, it will be fucking horrible. I guess we will have to suck it & see.

Back
Top Bottom