New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

By 'emulating the US stadia' and providing an 'all day experience' I take it to mean exclusively American football. 'If' they are basing their ambitions on this sport then either they'll be in for a shock or we'll all be out of pocket.

NFL teams play 8 home games a season (if they fail to make the play offs). That's it! Fans drive for miles - often within one state - for games and the party starts mid-morning and goes all day. For those that have been to Twickenham for rugby, think Range Rovers, hampers and quaffing champagne swapped for flat bed Chevy's and Fords, hot dogs and six packs. It aint our football and it aint practical.

And..........its not every US stadium. Fenway Park and Wrigley Field (both Baseball) are old and beautiful. Plenty of fast food outlets in the stadium plus beer etc but also a culture of using the local bars/pubs and travelling to the game on public transport a la London.

I fear some of the language being used by the club 'property club just happening to do football' etc is just the tip of the iceberg. In house, they'll be salivating over the corporate 'projections' of cash. They will also be putting a fair bit of work into spinning this brave new world for the existing/older supporter in order to maximise revenues etc. Expect more cheese museums and fondue fountains when the thing opens.

Despite my dreams to stand on the shelf again as it was, I am having to be realistic about who the new type of 'fan' will be that the club is courting; what the name of the thing will be; and whether it will be possible to generate the atmosphere of the old WHL within. I'm pessimistic....

I don’t think that’s correct. Mace refused to give an exact date for completion in the contract. They will not incur a fine if it’s not ready.

Where has that been confirmed? Are Mace the main contractors?

I would be very, very surprised if Levy awarded a contract of this size and importance without stipulating Liquidated Damages as part of it.

What incentive is there for them to complete on time otherwise?

I just think the proposed match day experience is so far removed from what a lot of us are used to that it may become unrecognisable. Not saying that it’s necessarily a bad thing, but if it is, it will be fucking horrible. I guess we will have to suck it & see.

We don't really know what that will be - no one is going to be forced to partake though.

I think Bagelboy Bagelboy is correct, I'm sure I heard/read this too somewhere.

Like i say, i'd be interested to see what source this has come from

It's worth noting that Liquidated Damages aren't the same as a penalty or a "fine". Penalty clauses are not legally enforceable UK contract law.

Liquidated Damages are a contractual agreement based on recovering anticipated costs incurred by the employer as a result of the project running late. i.e.increased project management and supervision costs or increased interest on a loan.

I would have thought they would be standard on a project of this size when the club has so much to lose if the project runs late. I really cant see the main contractor would have won the bid without agreeing to them going on Levys track record in these things.

LD's where a major issue after the Wembley build ran late. They are difficult to enforce and as usual claims on them end up wrapped up in long winded "contractual law" legal disputes which i'm sure even the people who write don't really understand. But they exist as a way to make contractors accountable for not delivering as agreed.

Like i say, i'd be interested to see what source this has come from

It's worth noting that Liquidated Damages aren't the same as a penalty or a "fine". Penalty clauses in UK contract law are not legally enforceable.

LD are a contractual agreement based on recovering anticipated costs incurred by the employer as a result of the project running late. i.e.increased project management and supervision costs or increased interest on a loan.

LD's would be standard on a project of this size when the club has so much to lose if the project runs late. I really cant see the main contractor would have won the bid without agreeing to them going on Levys track record in these things.

LD's where a major issue after the Wembley build ran late. They are difficult to enforce and as usual claims on them end up wrapped up in long winded "contractual law" legal disputes which i'm sure even the people who write don't really understand. But they exist as a way to make contractors accountable for not delivering as agreed.
Yep I understand all of that, but I'm as sure as I can be that Mace have no date stipulated. I'm sure it came to light when all of the financing/funding/planning go ahead stuff came out, there were eyebrows raised and discussions had at the time, hence why I'm sure I haven't dreamed it. There are no doubt a number of layers of contracts that aren't public but the top-line info was no date deadline. Sure this is up on SSC, but thats now over 10m hits, so not going to trawl through all that to find it.

Yep I understand all of that, but I'm as sure as I can be that Mace have no date stipulated. I'm sure it came to light when all of the financing/funding/planning go ahead stuff came out, there were eyebrows raised and discussions had at the time, hence why I'm sure I haven't dreamed it. There are no doubt a number of layers of contracts that aren't public but the top-line info was no date deadline. Sure this is up on SSC, but thats now over 10m hits, so not going to trawl through all that to find it.

Hmm, as usual with these things the heart of the matter is that we are feeding on scraps of speculation.

Fundamentally do the fans have faith that Levy is a good enough a businessman to ensure that the project is run with the clubs best interests at heart and will he do everything within his power to make that happen.

Hold on folks.....little bit double standards going on I feel.

When I slated Wembley, I was told all the guff, silent crowds and corperate crap was necessary as we were a "global product" now and needed the exposure and money it brings. A club of our stature would be a laughing stock otherwise...

Now you´re all panicking over the same stuff at the new WHL....what did you think we were building?

A big Goodison Park?

I think it also worth saying that projects of this size, in my experience, are nearly always are awarded in favour of the end user / customer.

Seen as pedigree / high profile, contracts of this type are always highly competitive and will be bid for as such. Many a contractor has gone insolvent over projects way smaller than this one.

When I slated Wembley, I was told all the guff, silent crowds and corperate crap was necessary as we were a "global product" now and needed the exposure and money it brings. A club of our stature would be a laughing stock otherwise...

Now you´re all panicking over the same stuff at the new WHL....what did you think we were building?

A big Goodison Park?
A big White Hart Lane.
With a big White Hart Lane atmosphere.
That’s what I’m hoping for.
A man can dream...
:walkercry:

A big Goodison Park?

You made important point earlier too irrespective of venue I am petrified of the people who will be in attendance, a hot dose of moaning veteran season ticket holders who for some reason don't recall just how shit we were and moan throughout if we aren't 3-0 up, and tourists who don't have a scooby whats going on

What we do want is a young enthusiastic fan base, who are there to ENJOY the game, good old school fans who also enjoy it and dont have a heart attack every match and what I call good solid fans from all over the world who really are passionate and sing, see the Nashville game if you want to see what good foreign fans can sound like

It is where the game is going though, great stadium but atmosphere will never be same again unless we really do get all the positive passionate people sat together at least

Hmm, as usual with these things the heart of the matter is that we are feeding on scraps of speculation.

Fundamentally do the fans have faith that Levy is a good enough a businessman to ensure that the project is run with the clubs best interests at heart and will he do everything within his power to make that happen.

i am sure it has been stated by levy himself that there was no penalty clause with the main contractor mace as they wouldnt have agreed to it. i think he said it to THST at one of the meetings. from the horses mouth. suprised it has been forgotten/not remembered

Back
Top Bottom