New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Said this point for years now, the club must hate me. Before this season I used to rock up to the ground and get in for kick off, maybe buy a beer at half time then go to the pub after. They'd make more money (and prefer obviously) on fans who goes to maybe 1-2 games a year and spends £100's in the shop to be using my ticket week in week out.
But having said that, the way they've done the ground they're certainly been getting my beer money before and after the game, can't see that changing for while either to be honest.
It will just get worse mate. Im at the top of Park Lane and the stewards are killing the atmosphere. I look around at some of the fans in the Park Lane and think what the fuck are you doing here. Sitting down no singing just trying to be a voyeurs for the atmosphere. I think sat against west ham will give a real insight into the future of the club. If the atmospheres shit I might start cherry picking my games and just go to the big ones.

They dont give a shit about local, working class or young fans. The biggest joke is the 1882 section in the middle of the park lane. That should have been cheap under 25 seats.

I think it should have gone to the 1882 movement this site got going at youth games a few years back. The noise and songs would have spread like wildfire across that stand and the rest of the stadium.

Link below:

The club would prefer a wealthy fan from abroad who would go spend £200 quid on merch and lots of money in the ground. Then a local fan who would get a kebab on the high road and drink in the coaches. That is the modern football model.

And what the sports ownership class both in the UK and US fail to recognize is that the wealthy fan from abroad, who has and will continue to have a bevy of options for his entertainment dollar, is only attracted to those sporting institutions (ESPECIALLY English football clubs) because of the legacy of passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fan support. That sense of authenticity connotes status, and that's what the plastic tourists are paying for.

That's going to disappear when the proletariat are priced out of attending and increasingly even watching top-level sport. The legacy will become a history will become a forgotten memory and it will just be the prawn sandwich brigade watching kids kick a football about.

The collapse of professional sport as a unifying social institution is coming in the next few decades, mark my words.

I disagree about the point about not a large enough local fan base to fill the stadium. I live 10 mins from the stadium and most people around here support spurs. The problem is the pricing. Many people sadly have been priced out. One of my mates had a spare in the park lane and the FV was 75£. I asked around and its just to expensive for most local spurs fans i know to afford. The club would prefer a wealthy fan from abroad who would go spend £200 quid on merch and lots of money in the ground. Then a local fan who would get a kebab on the high road and drink in the coaches. That is the modern football model.

Yes, I agree. It’s actualky what I was getting at. As I hinted by suggesting £80 for a ticket is not a good deal.

They have had to sell to fans further afield who can afford the ST prices. However the ballache and cost of travel dissuades them from attending every game. This in turn contributes to a touristy feeling atmosphere.

Not a terrible thing for club finances, but not a great thing for atmosphere.

Yes, I agree. It’s actualky what I was getting at. As I hinted by suggesting £80 for a ticket is not a good deal.

They have had to sell to fans further afield who can afford the ST prices. However the ballache and cost of travel dissuades them from attending every game. This in turn contributes to a touristy feeling atmosphere.

Not a terrible thing for club finances, but not a great thing for atmosphere.
I like the model they have a Juve. Really cheap behind the goals and expensive plush seats on the sides. Club could have easily done that at spurs but for the sake of a little bit extra ticket revenue they have made us the most expensive club in Europe. I went to most games home and away this season but I'm also feeling fleeced.

It will just get worse mate. Im at the top of Park Lane and the stewards are killing the atmosphere. I look around at some of the fans in the Park Lane and think what the fuck are you doing here. Sitting down no singing just trying to be a voyeurs for the atmosphere. I think sat against west ham will give a real insight into the future of the club. If the atmospheres shit I might start cherry picking my games and just go to the big ones.
I used to sit in plu and sitting was enforced strictly in the majority up there in whl. Maybe we expected different but the club envisioned only the safe standing.

I like the model they have a Juve. Really cheap behind the goals and expensive plush seats on the sides. Club could have easily done that at spurs but for the sake of a little bit extra ticket revenue they have made us the most expensive club in Europe. I went to most games home and away this season but I'm also feeling fleeced.
I am not disagreeing as I think we should have cheap tickets but we have always been one of the most expensive, this isn't a new stadium issue.... As a fan base we have always paid ott prices

How is it in pubs like the Brickies, Coach and Horses, Bell and Hare,... nowadays? Are they getting hit by the cheaper prices in the ground?
I seem to remember the Bricklayers being £5 a pint before we left (although a few mates tell that's wrong), it's £4 in there for Kronenbourg and seems just as busy, although the bar staff 'out the back' are still as slow and grumpy!

I seem to remember the Bricklayers being £5 a pint before we left (although a few mates tell that's wrong), it's £4 in there for Kronenbourg and seems just as busy, although the bar staff 'out the back' are still as slow and grumpy!
And the glass collector who could pass as a white walker :dembelelol:

frankly, as far Im concerned, £4.50 for a pint of neck oil, all my pre and post match drinking will be done in the stadium.

as far as pricing goes, someone has always been priced out. its just the way it is. when it went from free to a penny to watch, someone got priced out.
Its a pity, but its just the way things go.
thanks to Sky and the PL, the game has changed and the people watching it have changed as well.
My first game cost £6 quid to stand.
when and if safe standing gets approved, I'll be shocked if it doesnt add at least 20% to the price of the tickets in that area. Might as well steel yourselves for that now

I think it should have gone to the 1882 movement this site got going at youth games a few years back. The noise and songs would have spread like wildfire across that stand and the rest of the stadium.

Link below:

TFC 1882 went from hundreds at Charlton away to watch Spurs youth, to podcasting so that was that.

Gained some momentum in EL games and just as it looked like a movement was starting, it ended. Shame, because 1882 with a few years behind it could have really made the South special and actually have some sway with the club if they and the trust got their shit together.

Maybe I’m off the mark so don’t know if Admin Admin or Thelonious Thelonious or Flav Flav have any comments as to why it all ended?

And what the sports ownership class both in the UK and US fail to recognize is that the wealthy fan from abroad, who has and will continue to have a bevy of options for his entertainment dollar, is only attracted to those sporting institutions (ESPECIALLY English football clubs) because of the legacy of passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fan support. That sense of authenticity connotes status, and that's what the plastic tourists are paying for.

That's going to disappear when the proletariat are priced out of attending and increasingly even watching top-level sport. The legacy will become a history will become a forgotten memory and it will just be the prawn sandwich brigade watching kids kick a football about.

The collapse of professional sport as a unifying social institution is coming in the next few decades, mark my words.

The number of world wide football fans has increased exponential since the turn of the century, instead of playing to just the local, then the national, then the European audience. EPL football has become by far the world's biggest global game ...

https://nielsensports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Nielsen_World-Football-2018-6.11.18.pdf

To put some numbers on that the Travel/Tourism/Accommodation industry spends 1.4 billion on shirt sponsorship alone around Europe, why? Because they can reach by far the biggest mobile audience on a near weekly basis.

To even contemplate that the fastest growing participating and viewing sport globally is going to collapse? What on earth do you base that on?

Also, and somewhat disappointingly, your sheer arrogance in assuming that money somehow prevents passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fan support just displays a classist ignorance ... the very reason a lot of fans are better off and can afford season tickets is because in life they are passionate, authentic, deeply rooted successful people in everything they do, that should be admired not castigated.

As for tourist fans, even when not attending a game in Asia this means watching afternoon games starting at 11pm local time, and midweek and CL games starting at 3:00am. To go to a home game costs at least 1,500 pounds plus it involves travelling 12,000 miles on a round trip that takes 48 hours, and you suggest that's not dedicated? Sure they don't do it every week, that doesn't make our long distant cousins any less passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fans. You could easily argue they make the fans who moan about a 30 minute train queue, and running out of beer after five pints, far less dedicated.

Football will change, it always has and always will, but with a worldwide audience of billions it sure as shit ain't going away ...

TFC 1882 went from hundreds at Charlton away to watch Spurs youth, to podcasting so that was that.

Gained some momentum in EL games and just as it looked like a movement was starting, it ended. Shame, because 1882 with a few years behind it could have really made the South special and actually have some sway with the club if they and the trust got their shit together.

Maybe I’m off the mark so don’t know if Admin Admin or Thelonious Thelonious or Flav Flav have any comments as to why it all ended?

The podcast came before anything, then the forum was born thanks to Case, totally separate from the Podcast and followed by 1882 idea taking place on the forum.

I think CL football ended it tbh. Only ever happened at EL games when there was an abundance of tickets. And pre season friendlies.

So when we get a bit shit again the potential is there.

the other we have to take into account is (and I dont know if its peculiarly British, or if it exists elsewhere) is Golden Age syndrom. Where everybody think they grew up in a golden age, when the reality was it was just as, if not more, shitty

So (in football terms)some of us older lags think we were watching football in a fantastic time, cos we paid a couple of quid to stand, the club shop was the size of a corner shop, teams wore 1-11, they all wore black boots and defenders didnt wear long sleeves, let alone an undershirt. Half and Half scarves were never a thing and keepers only wore a different coloured short to the rest of the team

But we forget: the catering was awful, the toilets were barely toilets (the away end on the old holmesdale terrace at selhurst park was a trough in the ground, no roof, and you would hope and pray you didnt find yourself needing a shit, cos if you did find any bog roll, it was like the council issue rubbish, like a piece of hardboard and was more like to smear it around like a palette knife than actually clean any off.

I think the club were happy with 1882 going to youth games but were not so keen on them attending Europa or bigger games. They found the logistics and standing difficult to manage.

The younger element that made up the vast bulk of 1882 wanted to be around the fellas from the podcast and, apart from Chelsea in the Youth Cup Semi, once they stopped going the others drifted away.

Apart from Flav's dad (top fella btw) I was usually the oldest one there.

Apart from Charlton and one other (can't remember which) I did all of them. Standouts were Underhill (1100 YIDS), Chelsea (600) in the Youth Cup and Fulham at Dagenham where despite there only being 50 of us we made a right din for the whole game. Great night.

It should have given youngsters who are priced out of Premier League games an opportunity to support the club and for a short while it did. But without proper leadership it gradually faded away.

Real shame.

Back
Top Bottom