New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I went to a few of the games. The one against Woolwich at Barnet was quality.
I think the club were happy with 1882 going to youth games but were not so keen on them attending Europa or bigger games. They found the logistics and standing difficult to manage.

The younger element that made up the vast bulk of 1882 wanted to be around the fellas from the podcast and, apart from Chelsea in the Youth Cup Semi, once they stopped going the others drifted away.

Apart from Flav's dad (top fella btw) I was usually the oldest one there.

Apart from Charlton and one other (can't remember which) I did all of them. Standouts were Underhill (1100 YIDS), Chelsea (600) in the Youth Cup and Fulham at Dagenham where despite there only being 50 of us we made a right din for the whole game. Great night.

It should have given youngsters who are priced out of Premier League games an opportunity to support the club and for a short while it did. But without proper leadership it gradually faded away.

Real shame.
Underhill, Chelsea and Dagenham were all brilliant as you say. There was one at Leyton Orient that was great, can't remember who we were playing. Then there were the Europa home matches too - Asteras Tripolis was a good one, where Kane scored a hat-trick and then went in goal and conceded, and Lamela scored with a rabona. Home to Carrier Bag was a good one too, and I think Anzhi and Maribor? There was a League Cup match against Hull that we won on penalties, I can remember being in the far corner of the East Upper for that banging my hand against the wall of the stand. And I can remember doing a couple of youth matches at home that were a bit less engaging, where everyone was in the West Lower.

It was all lots of fun, and Spurs have moved onwards and upwards since. Despite that though, I don't see why it wouldn't have worked for matches like Barnsley, Rochdale or AFC Wimbledon at Wembley where it was £20 or £25 a ticket and we got absolutely nowhere near filling the place. There'll be matches like that at the new stadium too in the cups, it'll be interesting to see how many we can pull in for them.

I think the club were happy with 1882 going to youth games but were not so keen on them attending Europa or bigger games. They found the logistics and standing difficult to manage.

The younger element that made up the vast bulk of 1882 wanted to be around the fellas from the podcast and, apart from Chelsea in the Youth Cup Semi, once they stopped going the others drifted away.

Apart from Flav's dad (top fella btw) I was usually the oldest one there.

Apart from Charlton and one other (can't remember which) I did all of them. Standouts were Underhill (1100 YIDS), Chelsea (600) in the Youth Cup and Fulham at Dagenham where despite there only being 50 of us we made a right din for the whole game. Great night.

It should have given youngsters who are priced out of Premier League games an opportunity to support the club and for a short while it did. But without proper leadership it gradually faded away.

Real shame.
I only did one of them,and that was the Chelsea youth cup semi.It was superb.
A couple of mates did Woolwich away at Barnet(which i think was an 1882 game),and still talk about it now.
"Shoes Off, if you hate Woolwich"

Anyone tried The Bluecoats? Walked past after the Palace game and it looked really busy. Was thinking of giving it a go after tomorrow's game but guessing that with it being a Saturday afternoon and a pub on the way to Seven Sisters, it'll attract a fair few at that time?

The point of the 1882 thing was that the atmosphere at WHL was a bit crap, we were a bit average, and people were unhappy.

1882 gave an opportunity to forget all that, forget the pressure of the result, forget people wanting to sit down or paying a fortune to get in, and sing for the shirt.

That's why it never really translated well to anything else involving the first team. Granted, some of those UEFA cup matches were great as we managed to get in together, but when the club kicked us out of Block J it was swimming uphill from there. Qarabag was a highlight ("WIIIIIIINKS") and so on but it definitely had a shelf life.

Couple that with us getting better and better on the pitch, the atmosphere improved on its own and 1882 wasn't really needed any more.

Flav said from the start they'd only do it whilst it was needed, they'd duck out when things picked up, they've stuck to that concept throughout.

Anyone tried The Bluecoats? Walked past after the Palace game and it looked really busy. Was thinking of giving it a go after tomorrow's game but guessing that with it being a Saturday afternoon and a pub on the way to Seven Sisters, it'll attract a fair few at that time?
A nice little pub.Very well kept ale(Hopspur) and very historical(its the old girls school,and has some war military connection as well).Decent food by all accounts also.

Not sure they quite understand a football crowd though.I wish them well regardless

A nice little pub.Very well kept ale(Hopspur) and very historical(its the old girls school,and has some war military connection as well).Decent food by all accounts also.

Not sure they quite understand a football crowd though.I wish them well regardless
Yeah, not being from the area I only really know it from seeing stuff on social media, but had my eye on going there since it opened as it looks decent. Get the impression it's definitely not a typical pre/post-match pub, but looks like my kind of place.

In a similar vein, ended up going to True Craft (Seven Sisters) after the Woolwich game the other month, which was right up my street. Great pizzas, really quick service, and brilliant selection of craft beers. Again though, not a football pub but nice to find something in the area that was my type of establishment

The point of the 1882 thing was that the atmosphere at WHL was a bit crap, we were a bit average, and people were unhappy.

1882 gave an opportunity to forget all that, forget the pressure of the result, forget people wanting to sit down or paying a fortune to get in, and sing for the shirt.

That's why it never really translated well to anything else involving the first team. Granted, some of those UEFA cup matches were great as we managed to get in together, but when the club kicked us out of Block J it was swimming uphill from there. Qarabag was a highlight ("WIIIIIIINKS") and so on but it definitely had a shelf life.

Couple that with us getting better and better on the pitch, the atmosphere improved on its own and 1882 wasn't really needed any more.

Flav said from the start they'd only do it whilst it was needed, they'd duck out when things picked up, they've stuck to that concept throughout.
I only found my way to this forum because someone told me about the 1882 movement and one of the few regrets of my life is that I didn't get to a game for the experience. Mind you, from what Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor has told me, think I would have felt like everybody's granny.

There's been a couple of new additions....any excuse to actually get a photo of something to do with the stadium...
0ESnqpz.png

N9mShQM.jpg

Pinch of salt required as they are quoting The Sun:

Tottenham are raking in a revenue of £800,000 per match on their various food and drink outlets.

The big-ticket restaurants such as the Chef’s Table, Galvin’s, or The Vault bring in the most money, with the street food vendors and brewery topping up the sum nicely.

If they kept this up for 19 homes games in the Prem, and at least three home group stage matches in the Champions League, Spurs would make around £17.6m in a season.

That doesn’t event include fixtures in the League Cup, FA Cup, pre-season, Champions League knockouts, and non-football events such as NFL and boxing.

To put that number into context, £17.6m would be enough to pay for Harry Kane’s £200,000 per week salary for well over a year and a half (Telegraph).

When you compare this to League leaders Man City, who rake in just £150,000 per match on food and drink, it really showcases the thought that has gone into the new Spurs stadium.

The number of world wide football fans has increased exponential since the turn of the century, instead of playing to just the local, then the national, then the European audience. EPL football has become by far the world's biggest global game ...

https://nielsensports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Nielsen_World-Football-2018-6.11.18.pdf

To put some numbers on that the Travel/Tourism/Accommodation industry spends 1.4 billion on shirt sponsorship alone around Europe, why? Because they can reach by far the biggest mobile audience on a near weekly basis.

To even contemplate that the fastest growing participating and viewing sport globally is going to collapse? What on earth do you base that on?

Also, and somewhat disappointingly, your sheer arrogance in assuming that money somehow prevents passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fan support just displays a classist ignorance ... the very reason a lot of fans are better off and can afford season tickets is because in life they are passionate, authentic, deeply rooted successful people in everything they do, that should be admired not castigated.

As for tourist fans, even when not attending a game in Asia this means watching afternoon games starting at 11pm local time, and midweek and CL games starting at 3:00am. To go to a home game costs at least 1,500 pounds plus it involves travelling 12,000 miles on a round trip that takes 48 hours, and you suggest that's not dedicated? Sure they don't do it every week, that doesn't make our long distant cousins any less passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fans. You could easily argue they make the fans who moan about a 30 minute train queue, and running out of beer after five pints, far less dedicated.

Football will change, it always has and always will, but with a worldwide audience of billions it sure as shit ain't going away ...
I think that there are two quite different sorts of overseas fans.

On the one hand, you have people coming over to London who want to go to a football match while they are over, don't care who is playing and just pick the most convenient match. This is football as tourism, and it is unlikely that these people are fans of any particular club or likely to massively contribute to the atmosphere. I don't have any real enthusiasm to see this sort of fan at New WHL, but I really doubt that you are talking massive numbers. And I am aware this is a bit hypocritical have been this sort of fan at a couple of U.S. baseball matches - I've seen the Mets, the Yankees and the Phillies - I had a great time, but I wasn't exactly singing along with the home fans chants....

There there are people who are fans of the club already, based overseas, who come over either specifically for the match, or on holiday and build a match in as part of their schedule. The people that you refer to above, and I couldn't agree more that these are real, authentic fans. These fans are amazing. If someone loves our club enough to fly from the other side of the world to watch them, we should welcome them with open arms and help them enjoy the day.

Again, FWIW, I lived in Singapore for six months and joined the Singapore Spurs Supporters Club out there, so I had somewhere to go to watch games. I expected it to be a group of ex-pats like me. I could not have been more wrong - it was 95% locals who loved the club like I do, and no different to if they lived in Edmonton instead of Singapore. They chanted all through the games, wore their colours, and when we beat Chelsea at the Lane in that little run of matches that secured our first Champions' League qualification, people were hugging strangers and crying with joy. Anyone who thinks that those people aren't real fans is, to be frank, talking out of their arse.

Yeah, not being from the area I only really know it from seeing stuff on social media, but had my eye on going there since it opened as it looks decent. Get the impression it's definitely not a typical pre/post-match pub, but looks like my kind of place.

In a similar vein, ended up going to True Craft (Seven Sisters) after the Woolwich game the other month, which was right up my street. Great pizzas, really quick service, and brilliant selection of craft beers. Again though, not a football pub but nice to find something in the area that was my type of establishment

Yep, they're both great. Tottenham is spoilt for "nice" pubs now. There's also the High Cross (old Victorian toilet) which is lovely but obviously tiny.

Pinch of salt required as they are quoting The Sun:

Tottenham are raking in a revenue of £800,000 per match on their various food and drink outlets.

The big-ticket restaurants such as the Chef’s Table, Galvin’s, or The Vault bring in the most money, with the street food vendors and brewery topping up the sum nicely.

If they kept this up for 19 homes games in the Prem, and at least three home group stage matches in the Champions League, Spurs would make around £17.6m in a season.

That doesn’t event include fixtures in the League Cup, FA Cup, pre-season, Champions League knockouts, and non-football events such as NFL and boxing.

To put that number into context, £17.6m would be enough to pay for Harry Kane’s £200,000 per week salary for well over a year and a half (Telegraph).

When you compare this to League leaders Man City, who rake in just £150,000 per match on food and drink, it really showcases the thought that has gone into the new Spurs stadium.

Imagine how much they'd make if they didn't run out of beer!

Also, and somewhat disappointingly, your sheer arrogance in assuming that money somehow prevents passionate, authentic, deeply rooted fan support just displays a classist ignorance ... the very reason a lot of fans are better off and can afford season tickets is because in life they are passionate, authentic, deeply rooted successful people in everything they do, that should be admired not castigated.

Put it this way, the brand of an English football club, Spurs very much included, is deeply connected to those clubs histories as local institutions for working-class English people.

Make the game a plaything for the rich global elite and you may still have a great event to show people (the Monaco Grand Prix is a fine sporting institution), but you will not have the thing that brought people in the doors in the first place. You'll be reinventing your brand on the fly.

I don't know that that means that the game will just disappear. Maybe financially it will be fine. But what the game means to people, the way it connects people from different walks of life together, and to their community and to their past across generations, is going to die. That's what's beautiful about sport, and English football most of all, to me.

Now of course I say this from 3,000 miles away having been to N17 only a handful of times. My uncle and cousin are longtime season ticket holders, and that's where I caught the Spurs bug. And it's beautiful that this little pocket of North London can inspire joy and loyalty all the way in Chicago and Bangkok or wherever else. But the club, and most of all the ground and the matchday atmosphere, belong first and foremost to the local community. I'm honored to visit as a guest, but I love it because it's for them, not for me.

Back
Top Bottom