New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WiltedFragrantBovine-small.gif

Edit: interesting comment posted on that article...

As a senior project quality control manager who has managed some of the worlds most prestigious projects, i walked away from this project after just 6 weeks because of the following
1. The job was being run by non managerial staff brought in by Base construction on behalf of Daniel Levy.
2. Fire safety was being ignored on closures.
3. Agencies were sending Romanian post men disguised as construction men.
4. Leadership from Directors down didnt want experienced men. They wanted shouters and people who would put in the hours regardless what they could do.
I approached the top people with photos and a list of why this would fail and they didnt give a hoot.
I wrote to agency concerned and all everyone was interested in was £££££ not the project.
I am now on a similar project which is on the same route.
Something has to be done soon or the consequences will be grave.
I am interested in helping sort this out if anyone is willing to listen

I tend to agree with this line as if you click on the link now you can only read it if you subscribe to Construction News, er....No thanks!

I've read the comments following it's posting, and I guessing the article says the site resembles something like this.....
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Bet the construction guys on site would like the bottom video to be a true reflection of what goes on at the site !

cWLxyJ2.jpg

Testing the video wall in West Main Entrance foyer.

DniDKviW4AArUqP.jpg

Testing the cylindrical screen in Tottenham Experience

All tends to suggest the 'Safety Systems' electrical work is well under way or ven close to completion if 'non essential' things are being worked on - don't think the Tottenham Experience was due to open until 2019 so the cylindrical screen is a long way off the critical path.

cWLxyJ2.jpg

Testing the video wall in West Main Entrance foyer.

DniDKviW4AArUqP.jpg

Testing the cylindrical screen in Tottenham Experience

All tends to suggest the 'Safety Systems' electrical work is well under way or ven close to completion if 'non essential' things are being worked on - don't think the Tottenham Experience was due to open until 2019 so the cylindrical screen is a long way off the critical path.
Not necessarily, just because something isn't a critical path item doesn't mean it can't be worked on as long as it isn't impeding the critical path tasks. Could be a different trade, different contractor, or even the same contractor currently with a manpower surplus due to being halted on a more important task for some reason.

In general it's more expensive/time consuming to send your manpower away and bring it back, so if you're only held up for a few days or even weeks it could be more beneficial just to find that labor something else to do in the meantime.

Not saying you're wrong, just that this is yet another reason why it's entirely impossible to stand on a street corner (like many have been doing for the past year) and make declarations of how the project is going and who knows what.

Not necessarily, just because something isn't a critical path item doesn't mean it can't be worked on as long as it isn't impeding the critical path tasks. Could be a different trade, different contractor, or even the same contractor currently with a manpower surplus due to being halted on a more important task for some reason.

In general it's more expensive/time consuming to send your manpower away and bring it back, so if you're only held up for a few days or even weeks it could be more beneficial just to find that labor something else to do in the meantime.

Not saying you're wrong, just that this is yet another reason why it's entirely impossible to stand on a street corner (like many have been doing for the past year) and make declarations of how the project is going and who knows what.

Its certainly not conclusive that the 'safety systems' electrical problems have been solved - but if Spurs were deep in the proverbial with electrical problems then the natural reaction is to divert a lot of electricians to the problem, and getting good electricians in central London is not that easy so its not likely we could hire loads more easily. So overall it seems to me to be a good sign.

And if you add it to the THST guy saying the pitch would be laid in October, the last Spurs announcement saying that it might have been possible to play the ManCity game at NWHL if we could have delayed the announcement of the venue until closer to the date of the game etc. I'd suggest that all the signs with any substance are positive - obviously not the likes of CS who need to write stories to get attention (clicks) to drive ad revenue but that's inevitable as the stadium build is a big story by itself.

WiltedFragrantBovine-small.gif

Edit: interesting comment posted on that article...

As a senior project quality control manager who has managed some of the worlds most prestigious projects, i walked away from this project after just 6 weeks because of the following
1. The job was being run by non managerial staff brought in by Base construction on behalf of Daniel Levy.
2. Fire safety was being ignored on closures.
3. Agencies were sending Romanian post men disguised as construction men.
4. Leadership from Directors down didnt want experienced men. They wanted shouters and people who would put in the hours regardless what they could do.
I approached the top people with photos and a list of why this would fail and they didnt give a hoot.
I wrote to agency concerned and all everyone was interested in was £££££ not the project.
I am now on a similar project which is on the same route.
Something has to be done soon or the consequences will be grave.
I am interested in helping sort this out if anyone is willing to listen

Bob-the-Builder-fancy-dress-mascot-costume-for-Performance-Birthday-party-Adult-size.jpg

that explains the great "bob the builder" fancy dress shortage of 2018

Does that not fuck up any penalty clauses for failures etc? I mean, if MACE have no control over anything then how can they be fully held to account when things go tits up?
If this is the case, then why would they take those risks (other than possibly to shave a few quid off the bill)
Fair point actually, until I read that CN article I assumed Mace were in full control. Which as it's late would be liable for LAD's liquidated asset damages, which is ultimately late fees. I'm not sure what leeway the club woukd have to charge made in the instance. But I'm not a QS and am only speculating.

But Mace's power comes from being able to tell the sub contractor that they are appointed by Spurs to oversee/manage the project so if the sub contractor is failing to carry out the contract then Spurs will penalise them to the extent that the contract allows.

The sub contractor also knows, given Mace are a big company, that they may be placing in jeopardy future work where Mace are involved - which the subby would know is not a good idea
I mean the article says it perfectly, Mace are like a lion without teeth or claws. Like a pointless middle man and I can only assume we're appointed for their expertise. Although, by half ass hiring them the club have stifled their effectiveness. In my opinion. Will be interesting to see the fallout.

Does that not fuck up any penalty clauses for failures etc? I mean, if MACE have no control over anything then how can they be fully held to account when things go tits up?
If this is the case, then why would they take those risks (other than possibly to shave a few quid off the bill)
Also to answer the last part, I actually don't know. I assume it's a control thing as financially it makes no sense as the risk would outweigh any gains.

Personally, I love the all navy blue look, I think it's very classy.

It looks like a beefed up WHL. I’ve been very impressed by how they’ve retained the feel of the Lane. With the huge single tier stand and the proximity to the pitch, I think the club have absolutely nailed the stadium.

As rubbish as ENIC have been when it comes to helping us actually win things, their real legacy will be the training ground and stadium. Nobody can say they haven’t delivered on that front.

I mean the article says it perfectly, Mace are like a lion without teeth or claws. Like a pointless middle man and I can only assume we're appointed for their expertise. Although, by half ass hiring them the club have stifled their effectiveness. In my opinion. Will be interesting to see the fallout.

Correct, Spurs are not a construction company so hired Mace to provide the expertise to build the stadium. A lot of management roles these days do not operate in a hierarchical manner - that went out with the ark in many companies - but as I say Spurs appointing Mace gives them that authority, so its just not true that Mace cannot control the subbies.

Correct, Spurs are not a construction company so hired Mace to provide the expertise to build the stadium. A lot of management roles these days do not operate in a hierarchical manner - that went out with the ark in many companies - but as I say Spurs appointing Mace gives them that authority, so its just not true that Mace cannot control the subbies.
The arrangement that's been reported, however, isn't really unusual (at least in my experience when I was still working for a GC/CM. The GC/CM often is forced to take on sub-contractors that they haven't directly chosen and whose draw might not be taken directly from the GC/CM. Two instances that immediately jump to my mind are working for Target, who had preferred subcontractors they mandated and therefore weren't entirely beholden to the GC/CM and when I worked on the basketball arena in Memphis which was funded largely by federal and state money which mandated X% of contracts be locally owned and minority owned businesses which meant basically being told you had to use this HVAC contractor or that Electrician because they were the only ones that ticked the right boxes.

Less than ideal, but it's still the CM's job to effectively coordinate and supervise the job. The story of electrical works being ripped out twice in a fortnight over the same uninstalled HVAC is ridiculous. The electrical contractor should've verified the first time that necessary work had been completed prior to their install, and for goddamn sure the 2nd time.

But it does seem like Tottenham are a nightmare client. If they've really hired their own PM's and taken a heavy-handed role in managing the project in the day-to-day then they've well and truly fucked themselves (and us). You don't tell your surgeon where to cut. AEC is no different, and despite the great disrespect for the industry and the professions involved, the average Joe knows fuck all about how to design and deliver a project of any substance.

I don't know. The article paints a picture of a master clusterfuck - a client who thinks they're a builder, a CM that seems to have let the project get away from them, and subcontractors that can't even marshal themselves. But, it's all taken from an anonymous source which could be fucking anyone with all sorts of motivations to spout off.

Back
Top Bottom