Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Moose's ability to consistently beat 2 and 3 (and sometimes 4) opponents is a joy to behold. Doesnt always get it right but much more often than not.

Moose is a freak of nature when it comes to his ball control, if only he had more of an eye for goal I think he'd truly be an elite level player up there with the greats.

Poch is right, he's a genius. I like watching him play more than anyone else in our team because he is so dominant and does the impossible. As you say it is only his lack of goals that has kept him off the radar, had he added that to his game he'd be at that elite level. It is a shame that Poch didn't get a chance to coach him from an earlier age because he would have reached a higher level. If he can stay fit for a few more years though then he can still become world class and get the recognition he deserves.

I have never seen a player do what Dembele does. You can't take the ball from him and he has no fear of a player trying to challenge him. Still a vital player for us and hope he will be for years yet.

Mousa is one of the most misunderstood players in the EPL. People assume just because he can dribble a bit that it translates to him being an attacker, ergo should score goals. Its not, or ever has been, his remit.

its actually ridiculous that anyone still thinks like this. its like saying patrick vieira didn't score enough goals.

Dembele used to be a striker, if I remember correctly. So he ought to have that in his locker really: goal scoring. But the point with Demebele that causes people, including me, to say that he ought to score more, is that he has the ability to glide past players like he does, but it's almost like he gets to the penalty area and decides not to go any further, and that is quite surprising. Naturally it leads people to validly suggest he ought to score more goals.

Also people tend to focus on goal scoring players, it is much harder to be considered world class, a genius, if you are a defender for instance, or a goalkeeper, or a holding midfielder. That isn't fair but it is how it is. How often do such players win player of the year, etc? As you point out some midfield players like Dembele who do not score goals are still providing an essential contribution to the team, and such players can be world class in that role, but it is harder to get that recognition without scoring goals is all.

Personally i value MD highly...... The difference he makes when on the pitch is sublime. This shouldn't however prevent one from being objective in assesment, through fear of being perceived as being over-demanding or entitled though.....

It's like he can't or won't attack any further than the 18 yard line (even when we were playing him higher up last season; more like a 'false-10'). The odd times that he does, he's scored more often than not.

Also, he has a beast of a shot on him but we all but never see it.

However...

I don't think it's accurate to make the wholesale claim that our fans use lack of goals as a basis to down-rate the player.

It's simply frustrating/baffling when u see he has it in his locker and all the more so when you consider he used to be a striker...

Doesn't mean I don't consider him a boss player.

(I also think the likening to Modric's criticism for lack of goals is off.... Their play, physical attributes and how they go about their game is different even if it can be argued they both, by their presence, effectively buy us a few seconds longer on the ball and a touch more space to play in... In fact, I'd expect less goals from LM - compared to MD - but again I wouldn't extend this as far as being a criticism of either player.)

Last edited:
Dembele used to be a striker, if I remember correctly. So he ought to have that in his locker really: goal scoring. But the point with Demebele that causes people, including me, to say that he ought to score more, is that he has the ability to glide past players like he does, but it's almost like he gets to the penalty area and decides not to go any further, and that is quite surprising. Naturally it leads people to validly suggest he ought to score more goals.

Also people tend to focus on goal scoring players, it is much harder to be considered world class, a genius, if you are a defender for instance, or a goalkeeper, or a holding midfielder. That isn't fair but it is how it is. How often do such players win player of the year, etc? As you point out some midfield players like Dembele who do not score goals are still providing an essential contribution to the team, and such players can be world class in that role, but it is harder to get that recognition without scoring goals is all.

i think you've answered the question yourself tbh.

1. he used to be a striker

2. he gets to the penalty area and decides not to go any further

the second line explains the first one.

its fairly clear that MD was never going to be a goal scorer but is brilliant at what he does, which is to operate deep and run the game. the best players in the world in these positions do not score many goals.

modric?
pirlo?
Kroos?

if he was playing in a more advanced position then it would be a fair comment.

i think you've answered the question yourself tbh.

1. he used to be a striker

2. he gets to the penalty area and decides not to go any further

the second line explains the first one.

its fairly clear that MD was never going to be a goal scorer but is brilliant at what he does, which is to operate deep and run the game. the best players in the world in these positions do not score many goals.

modric?
pirlo?
Kroos?

if he was playing in a more advanced position then it would be a fair comment.

Sorry, but as an objective analysis, It doesn't just end there because 'it's something he doesn't do'..... That's the starting point.

I. E.

Why?
Can it still be coached?
Would it be detrimental to other aspects of his game?

...And as said above, MD not the same attributes as Modric, Pirlo and their like. At most a similar net effect.

Personally i value MD highly...... The difference he makes when on the pitch is sublime. This shouldn't however prevent one from being objective in assesment, through fear of being perceived as being over-demanding or entitled though.....

It's like he can't or won't attack any further than the 18 yard line (even when we were playing him higher up last season; more like a 'false-10'). The odd times that he does, he's scored more often than not.

Also, he has a beast of a shot on him but we all but never see it.

However...

I don't think it's accurate to make the wholesale claim that our fans use lack of goals as a basis to down-rate the player.

It's simply frustrating/baffling when u see he has it in his locker and all the more so when you consider he used to be a striker...

Doesn't mean I don't consider him a boss player.

(I also think the likening to Modric's criticism for lack of goals is off.... Their play, physical attributes and how they go about their game is different even if it can be argued they both, by their presence, effectively buy us a few seconds longer on the ball and a touch more space to play in... In fact, I'd expect less goals from LM - compared to MD - but again I wouldn't extend this as far as being a criticism of either player.)

he doens't have it in his locker though does he? when has he ever shown that?

i don't get criticizing a player for not doing something that he simply cant do.

Sorry, but as an objective analysis, It doesn't just end there because 'it's something he doesn't do'..... That's the starting point.

I. E.

Why?
Can it still be coached?
Would it be detrimental to other aspects of his game?

why? - he doesn't have the mentality - as you said he gets the penalty area then looks clueless.
can it be coached - personally i don't think it can but i'm not an expert - certainly i doubt i can be at this stage of his career
detriment? - no

he doens't have it in his locker though does he? when has he ever shown that?

i don't get criticizing a player for not doing something that he simply cant do.

Read my prev post....

This isn't just idle criticism.

....And he HAS shown glimpses (and goals!) that do more than suggest he's capable.

Go watch the goals he HAS scored.... Just an extention of his powerful play.

Read my prev post....

This isn't just idle criticism.

....And he HAS shown glimpses (and goals!) that do more than suggest he's capable.

Go watch the goals he HAS scored.... Just an extention of his powerful play.
glimpses.

i show glimpses of brilliance. everyones highlight reel looks amazing.

when has he ever given anyone the impression that he has more goals in his locker?

i just dont get it mate, lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Back
Top Bottom