Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fine - you whiney cunts...

dembo.gif

Pure Mousa. Outrageous, as usual.

At times, he's simply astounding, but:

MUST. SHOOT. MORE.

...and if he does, and it ends up in the stands there'll be uproar!
Yes, he may score a Worldie once or twice a season, but overall, I'm quite happy for him to pass it to someone with a better shooting accuracy.

...and if he does, and it ends up in the stands there'll be uproar!
Yes, he may score a Worldie once or twice a season, but overall, I'm quite happy for him to pass it to someone with a better shooting accuracy.

.....Only for the likes of CE or Son to sky it anyway? (You're talking hypotheticals afterall)

Let's not pretend he's typically passing to someone in a better shooting position.

He declines a number of good shooting opportunities most games... More often than not he'll pass and the gaps on the edge of the 18 yd box are subsequently shut down.

Baffles me that a former CF is so shot shy.

Last edited:
.....Only for the likes of CE or Son to sky it anyway? (You're talking hypotheticals afterall)
Let's not pretend he's typically passing to someone in a better shooting position.
He declines a number of good shooting opportunities most games... More often than not he'll pass
and the gaps on the edge of the 18 yd box are subsequently shut down.

Baffles me that or former CF is so shot shy.

...he's a generous lover, what can I say??

Sometimes, I wonder, when he does what he does, I swear it's not just the spectators left mesmerised: "has he kept the ball? no, he's lost it, hasn't he? surely he's lost it? wait no! how the fuck did he keep the ball?" It's the players also, they just keep watching him, waiting to see if he'll surface with the ball from a melee of arms legs hips and torsos.

Sometimes, I wonder if his enchanting pillar of stone impression is to the detriment of our play: if, as a player, you see another player comfortably able to deal with a situation, ball at their feet, ready to pass/whatever, you can move to facilitate a pass/feint/whatever, but when you're struck motionless in awe by that crazy ball-magnet, you're not really acting very dynamically.

This bollocks that runs through my head, can easily be confounded by saying that players could equally be waiting to see whether he'll lose the ball, so that they can assist. To this I say, fuck you, I think a little more trust in his ball winning/keeping abilities would make our attacking play take a further step forward.

Sometimes I wonder if even he, his manager, his team mates, realise just how spellbinding his retention routine is.

Sometimes, when he swivels on a sixpence, I think back to :parker:, and chuckle to myself.

I am sure I will get slammed for this but - come on - do we want the the spurs to be pretty or win matches. I have spent 40 years being quite happy for us to be oretty but now we have a chance to win things.

The mouss keeps the ball under duress, he apins and twirls and still keeps the ball - but then what? Most of the time he passes it sideways so for all of his brilliance, it hasn't helped us all that much beyond keeping pssession. He doesn't score , he doesn't assist and he''s not a cog in the midfield most of the time.

If enjoy Dembele''s ability to keep the balll and hold off multiple challenges as much as anybody- but what does he do with the ball after that? Usually he passes it along - and not much orogress has been made.

We have a chance to win things now - we need more than aesthetically pleasing players

That would be great - but how many times does that happen?
The last time we had a player who could keep the ball under multiple challenges was Gazza - but everything he did was with a purpose - he was driving towards goal either to try and score himself , draw a foul or slip the ball to someone else - I see the same skill with Dembele but not the same purpose

I am sure I will get slammed for this but - come on - do we want the the spurs to be pretty or win matches. I have spent 40 years being quite happy for us to be oretty but now we have a chance to win things.

The mouss keeps the ball under duress, he apins and twirls and still keeps the ball - but then what? Most of the time he passes it sideways so for all of his brilliance, it hasn't helped us all that much beyond keeping pssession. He doesn't score , he doesn't assist and he''s not a cog in the midfield most of the time.

If enjoy Dembele''s ability to keep the balll and hold off multiple challenges as much as anybody- but what does he do with the ball after that? Usually he passes it along - and not much orogress has been made.

We have a chance to win things now - we need more than aesthetically pleasing players
Wow!

Yeah pal, you're should get slammed for that. He is absolutely vital to how we play. We control and dominate oppo midfield because of him, that is both with and without the ball! I could go on but I'd be wasting my time as the very basics of how we play appeared to have past you bye. He isn't an attacking midfielder, there are 3 other players ahead of him scoring and assisting every week.

The last time we had a player who could keep the ball under multiple challenges was Gazza - but everything he did was with a purpose - he was driving towards goal either to try and score himself , draw a foul or slip the ball to someone else - I see the same skill with Dembele but not the same purpose
I agree with what your saying and to see him use his ability to hurt teams a bit more would make him world class imo. But don't underestimate how vital what he does do now is to the way we are playing. We miss him a lot when he's out. He keeps us ticking over in much the same way Modric did and you could argue he didn't rank particularly high in the goals and assists stats.

He is orobably the best player at keeping the ball - and we love him for it - but then what? How many times does he make a game changing

The gift of Moussa is the calm that his ball retention creates throughout the rest of the team... Things are a lot more frantic for us when he's not on the pitch.

EDIT:

The 'sexy' aspect of it is admittedly superficial, but c'mon, when a Dembele + Dier/Wanyama combo are playing they regularly eat up any CM combo we face.

Back
Top Bottom