Most overrated Spurs players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

wall.gif

Embarrassing.

And against that shower

Furious then watching it and now so thanks for that

Think I'll cop some flak for this, but BAE.

I see your BAE, and raise you Rose and Walker.

Both were improved by Pochettino, but both are still massively overrated as "footballers" by the world at large, and their stock is only so high because great fullbacks are rarer than goalies. Neither of them is very bright, both have cognitive deficiencies. Good athletes though and Rose gets extra love for being a chippy fucker.

Also agree with superstaryid superstaryid and Totti Totti about Hudd and Dawson.

Last edited:
Jermaine Jenas

Listening to him talking earlier in the year it sounded like he's now realised he mostly did bugger all with his career.

One league cup isn't much to brag about really.

All 15 goals video...stretching out 5 years or so? To be fair both Lennon and Hudd were decent players but one really stupid and one too fat and slow. None would get on our bench right now..

The only players that should be part of our squad these days are Lloris, Vorm, Trippier, Davies, KWP, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Dele & Kane (17 out of the current 25). I personally think the other ones making up the numbers don't add enough pure quality to genuinely add enough impact to warrant being part of a 25 man squad for a team competing in the Champions League & striving for genuine glory domestically. Don't shoot me, just my honest observation after watching the others whilst trying to remove my lilywhite tinted glasses over the last few months/ years

Overrated ? He was a candidate for underrated. Took loads of abuse/blame when he was a much more useful footballer than Huddlestone.
That's expectations for you - you know one could do more but playing within themselves.

some people rated Darren Bent as a footballer me I would struggle to rate him as a traffic cone.

Both were improved by Pochettino, but both are still massively overrated as "footballers" by the world at large, and their stock is only so high because great fullbacks are rarer than goalies. Neither of them is very bright, both have cognitive deficiencies. Good athletes though and Rose gets extra love for being a chippy fucker.

Also agree with superstaryid superstaryid and Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 about Hudd and Dawson.
Think it was Totti Totti regarding Dawson, although I agree completely (lovely bloke but very limited as a player). As for Hudd he was fine when played deep and he wasn't closed down. But one of the reasons for our shitness in those days was you could stop us playing simply by putting a man on Hudd, it wasn't even that hard to do for the oppo, they didn't have to take a man out of their game because Hudd didn't have the athleticism to take that player away from the game in return (by contrast oppo have tried to put someone on Dele and/or Eriksen, now this may have taken them out of the game on occasion but it also has meant they too have sacrificed their own player too, as they will take them out of the game in return), Hudd just stood there like a training cone.

Disagree with Walker and Rose, name FB's in the prem today that are better (not allowed to pick Mendy as he's made 8 PL appearances).

Think it was Totti Totti regarding Dawson, although I agree completely (lovely bloke but very limited as a player). As for Hudd he was fine when played deep and he wasn't closed down. But one of the reasons for our shitness in those days was you could stop us playing simply by putting a man on Hudd, it wasn't even that hard to do for the oppo, they didn't have to take a man out of their game because Hudd didn't have the athleticism to take that player away from the game in return (by contrast oppo have tried to put someone on Dele and/or Eriksen, now this may have taken them out of the game on occasion but it also has meant they too have sacrificed their own player too, as they will take them out of the game in return), Hudd just stood there like a training cone.

Disagree with Walker and Rose, name FB's in the prem today that are better (not allowed to pick Mendy as he's made 8 PL appearances).

They weren't even the best two at our club. With regards to Rose, I think Davies is pretty meh most weeks, but even he's, at worst, as useful as Rose overall then there's Alonso, Mendy, Robertson, Shaw, Monreal, Cresswell. Who are all better or at worst as good.

And again, Trippier is a better overall package IMO. We could argue about what constitutes "better" but I prefer my footballers to have brains and technique and to have the composure to use those - as long as they are not incredibly slow or cumbersome - more than I value athleticism - even though I appreciate Walker's combination of pace, physique and stamina are what make him a valued RB, I just don't he's that great a "footballer" his reading of the game is not always good, his execution in forward areas is woeful, and his defending is erratic. But his physical attributes do make him viable - the way Sol Campbell's did, despite him not being technically a great footballer.

I'd rather have players like Trippier, Soares, Aspelacueta, Valencia, than watch Walker get up and down brilliantly 50 times a game then trip over the ball and whack it at the first defender every time, and Walker still does some really stupid defensive shit at times, as we saw for City and at the WC.

As I said, just because there isn’t always a lot of high quality competition, doesn’t instantly mean that you’re great.

Last edited:
What ever happened to Davies? his career seemed to fall off of a cliff fairly soon after it took off.

Got injured and never the same player when he came back. Shame as before the injury he was starting to look a decent player (by the standards of the rest of the Spurs team which was, lets face it, not very good at that time)

Huddlestone and Dawson are good shouts.

Sandro too, sorry, I mean, "the best defensive midfielder in the world" as he was anointed back circa 2011. Had his uses, but still......

Also agree with superstaryid superstaryid and Totti Totti about Hudd and Dawson.

The modern fullback must be a great athlete but not necessarily a great defender or all round footballer , people rave about Walkers first season at City but let's be honest how much defending did he actually have to do ? Did well no doubt but still relies on his pace to get him out of trouble in competitive games.

They weren't even the best two at our club. With regards to Rose, I think Davies is pretty meh most weeks, but even he's, at worst, as useful as Rose overall then there's Alonso, Mendy, Robertson, Shaw, Monreal, Cresswell. Who are all better or at worst as good.

And again, Trippier is a better overall package IMO. We could argue about what constitutes "better" but I prefer my footballers to have brains and technique and to have the composure to use those - as long as they are not incredibly slow or cumbersome - more than I value athleticism - even though I appreciate Walker's combination of pace, physique and stamina are what make him a valued RB, I just don't he's that great a "footballer" his reading of the game is not always good, his execution in forward areas is woeful, and his defending is erratic. But his physical attributes do make him viable - the way Sol Campbell's did, despite him not being technically a great footballer.

I'd rather have players like Trippier, Soares, Aspelacueta, Valencia, than watch Walker get up and down brilliantly 50 times a game then trip over the ball and whack it at the first defender every time, and Walker still does some really stupid defensive shit at times, as we saw for City and at the WC.

As I said, just because there isn’t always a lot of high quality competition, doesn’t instantly mean that you’re great.
I appreciate the detailed answer but WOW! Robertson, Shaw, Monreal, Cresswell!!!!! You are having a fucking laugh ain't ya? LOL

I said that Mendy doesn't count, he's made EIGHT PL appearances. He's a very good player but to say he's better than Walker and Rose in PL is absolute nonsense, let him play some games so that he can be measured and compared.

I'm a huge fan of Davies, he's been nothing short of fantastic for us, made all the more impressive by not being rotated every week (like Rose was, which enables him to recover and be dynamic for another game), but there is a void to our style when Rose isn't playing. Should Rose be sold? Yes he should, can't have someone like him going so off message (also think his mind not being at Spurs has something to do with a run of shit form) but Spurs are a better side to watch when Rose is LB.

I appreciate the detailed answer but WOW! Robertson, Shaw, Monreal, Cresswell!!!!! You are having a fucking laugh ain't ya? LOL

I said that Mendy doesn't count, he's made EIGHT PL appearances. He's a very good player but to say he's better than Walker and Rose in PL is absolute nonsense, let him play some games so that he can be measured and compared.

I'm a huge fan of Davies, he's been nothing short of fantastic for us, made all the more impressive by not being rotated every week (like Rose was, which enables him to recover and be dynamic for another game), but there is a void to our style when Rose isn't playing. Should Rose be sold? Yes he should, can't have someone like him going so off message (also think his mind not being at Spurs has something to do with a run of shit form) but Spurs are a better side to watch when Rose is LB.

Agree with most of that but from what I've seen Mendy is a sight better than Walker could ever be , more intelligent great end product and does everything else as well or better than Walker.

Agree with most of that but from what I've seen Mendy is a sight better than Walker could ever be , more intelligent great end product and does everything else as well or better than Walker.
Yeah, he probably will, but he's had 8 appearances. Let's see if a Ligue 1 star can actually crack the Prem, still waiting for this to happen (and no Kante wasn't a star in Ligue 1 for Caen).

Back
Top Bottom