Most overrated Spurs players ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He had talent and when we first signed him from Derby I thought that he was going to be the new Hoddle as he could strike a really good ball but he didn’t look after himself and ate more pies than BFS
Yes, lots of people thought he was the new Glenn Hoddle.
Really? bloody ell.
I remember their being a lot of hype around Giovani dos Santos at one time.

Last edited:
There are some serious 'pre-season threads' cropping up today for some reason!

....but Jamie Redknapp for me.
That's if he was ever 'rated' for us in the first place!
I remember being excited that we'd signed someone of his 'quality', then being very disappointed VERY quickly!

In a similar vein, Matty Etherington was probably over-hyped when he arrived with Simon Davies (similar to being over-rated I guess)
...I think we all thought it would be 'Ossie & Ricky' mk.II ...and yet Simon Davies gave us SO much more in his time here... whilst little Lord Etherington resorted to picking fights with the Park Lane/Shelf-side lower!!

What ever happened to Davies? his career seemed to fall off of a cliff fairly soon after it took off.

Perhaps. Him and Ade jumping out of the way of that free kick when they were part of the wall is one of the most vivid frustrations I've had at any player at Spurs.

wall.gif

Embarrassing.

Most overrated Spurs player I've seen at Spurs was Tom Huddlestone , never got the love all I ever saw was a slow lazy cumbersome player looking to be carried was delighted when we finally offed him.

You can go right off people, can't you. Huddlestone was a cracking player for us. I was gutted when he left.

Most over rated off the top of my head was/is Lennon, never understood what people saw in him.

You can go right off people, can't you. Huddlestone was a cracking player for us. I was gutted when he left.

Most over rated off the top of my head was/is Lennon, never understood what people saw in him.

All 15 goals video...stretching out 5 years or so? To be fair both Lennon and Hudd were decent players but one really stupid and one too fat and slow. None would get on our bench right now..

A lot of the players mentioned were not really rated by many in the first place. Or they were players that were good for us at the time, such as Hudd, Lennon, BAE, but then we went up a level and needed better players in those positions.

I think it tends to be the players who fans most want to succeed who become overhyped, hence Soldado, and a lot of homegrown younger players provoke that reaction in fans. But there is a difference between overhyped and overrated. The only player that I truly concur with in this thread is Holtby. I do also remember people being wildly optimistic about N'Koudou on this forum long after I'd decided he didn't belong anywhere near our first team.

Back
Top Bottom