Micky van de Ven

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of the best 90mins from a central defender I can remember seeing. Unbelievable physical tools and reads the game in terms of his positioning very well too.

You expect him to win every duel and every loose ball in the defensive half, which is so so valuable in this side. We could basically just have him at the back on his own for 90% of the game because he is so dominant there. Unreal.
Was thinking that myself when watching the game especially when the opposition is sat back. I've never seen a central defender like him before he is a beast.

My only worry over him is realistically how long we can keep him for. We simply have to become successful on the pitch to retain players of this calibre. Already would not look out of place wearing a Real Madrid shirt. I think he's the best player we have in their position within the club.

Thanks, very enjoyable interview.

I sometimes think that players seem much more at ease when they are being interviewed by former players than by media types, they go deeper into things, appear to be more thoughtful.

The classic example was when Bale came back and was interviewed by Crouchy. Easily the best interview with Gareth that I've seen, his nervous ticks were gone, he was comfortable talking at length, happy and laughing.

Thanks, very enjoyable interview.

I sometimes think that players seem much more at ease when they are being interviewed by former players than by media types, they go deeper into things, appear to be more thoughtful.

The classic example was when Bale came back and was interviewed by Crouchy. Easily the best interview with Gareth that I've seen, his nervous ticks were gone, he was comfortable talking at length, happy and laughing.
100%. Crouchy spoke about this on his pod recently with Steve Sidwell - they said it’s been a deliberate shift by broadcasters and leads to more open and honest interviews as players can relate to them better 👍🏻

Sorry for posting in VdV’s thread but as the media was getting giddy about how fast he is a few weeks ago it seems apt to drop this into his thread…….

What a load of horse shit the media post when talking about recording speeds, its like a 7 year old point of view!

View: https://x.com/cathal_dennehy/status/1765134699645513799?s=46&t=2zh9XEBAuaOqWiGaQshTyA

For the record I regularly clocked 11.2 when I was 16!!!

As you were

Lol. You were quick at 11.2! Note the "estimated" 10.9 for Mbappe. As you will know however, it's the speed over 10-30m that matters most in football. My 9 y/o son is the fastest in his team over 50m, but not over a shorter distance, so he doesn't look as quick on a pitch most of the time - unless there is a monster recovery / attack sprint on (he calls the recovery sprint and tackle "Van de Venning someone". :D

Lol. You were quick at 11.2! Note the "estimated" 10.9 for Mbappe. As you will know however, it's the speed over 10-30m that matters most in football. My 9 y/o son is the fastest in his team over 50m, but not over a shorter distance, so he doesn't look as quick on a pitch most of the time - unless there is a monster recovery / attack sprint on (he calls the recovery sprint and tackle "Van de Venning someone". :D

I was Borough Champion at 100m

beyonce-hair-flip.gif

Although the truth is there were two other guys quicker than me, the first steadily slower the older we got (and I guess because of our body types things evened out he was 5 ft nothing and was 20m ahead after 40m!!) but the other guy, my word he was lighting, miles faster but for some unknown reason he only ever did 100m once and focused on 200m (quicker than me in both events by miles). Basically, I waited for him to pick his event and I would do the other one.

The worst dose of reality came when I was selected to represent the County in the Nationals, it was embarrassing, I didn't qualify out of the first round of many heats. So you might be "fast" and I was but half a second let alone 1 second is huge in these events.

And yeah, the media don't have a clue with these comparisons, they take the time of these sprints between two points probably only 10-30m, and they don't mention that this is also not a standing start. It's totally pointless comparisons but seems to get everyone juiced up.

I was Borough Champion at 100m

beyonce-hair-flip.gif

Although the truth is there were two other guys quicker than me, the first steadily slower the older we got (and I guess because of our body types things evened out he was 5 ft nothing and was 20m ahead after 40m!!) but the other guy, my word he was lighting, miles faster but for some unknown reason he only ever did 100m once and focused on 200m (quicker than me in both events by miles). Basically, I waited for him to pick his event and I would do the other one.

The worst dose of reality came when I was selected to represent the County in the Nationals, it was embarrassing, I didn't qualify out of the first round of many heats. So you might be "fast" and I was but half a second let alone 1 second is huge in these events.

And yeah, the media don't have a clue with these comparisons, they take the time of these sprints between two points probably only 10-30m, and they don't mention that this is also not a standing start. It's totally pointless comparisons but seems to get everyone juiced up.
Yep. The short, light guy with lots of fast twitch is often the fastest 10-30m player on a team IME.

Back
Top Bottom