Micky van de Ven

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not just this season; fastest since they started keeping records (admittedly only a few years). Pips Kyle Walker. Brennan Johnson 8th fastest.

Van de Ven becomes fastest Premier League player​

6 Feb 2024

Spurs defender clocks quickest speed in competition since records began​

Micky van de Ven has sprinted into the history books by becoming the fastest player recorded in the Premier League.

The 22-year-old Tottenham Hotspur defender, who hit a top speed of 35.97 km/h playing for Wolfsburg last campaign, went even faster by clocking an astonishing 37.38 km/h against Brentford on 31 January, a record in the Premier League since the data started being collected in 2020/21.

The Spurs defender clocked a top speed of 37.38km/h v Brentford, the quickest since records began!

To put his feat into context, Van de Ven's blistering pace against Brentford was clocked at 10.38m per second, or 23.23 miles per hour. When sprint star Usain Bolt set the current 100m world record in 2009, his average speed was 10.44m per second, or 23.35mph (37.58 km/h).

The statistics show that the speed in the Premier League is notably increasing, with SEVEN of the top 10 speeds being recorded this season.

Fastest PL players​

PlayerClubMatchKm/h
Micky van de VenTOTv BRE (31/01/24)37.38
Kyle WalkerMCIv EVE (14/05/23)37.31
Chiedozie OgbeneLUTv FUL (16/09/23)36.93
Pedro NetoWOLv LUT (23/09/23)36.86
Dominik SzoboszlaiLIVv WOL (16/09/23)36.76
Dara O'SheaBURv CRY (4/11/23)36.73
Antonio RudigerCHEv BHA (29/12/21)36.72
Brennan JohnsonNFOv MCI (18/02/23)36.70
Anthony GordonNEWv BUR (30/09/23)36.68
Amadou OnanaEVEv LIV (21/10/23)36.65

Van de Ven is proving to be hugely influential for Spurs in his debut season, with his recovery pace crucial for Ange Postecoglou's high defensive line.

Indeed, the Dutchman's explosive speed was on show again at the weekend, when he effortlessly made up ground to get a tackle in on Dominic Calvert-Lewin, before doing the same in the second half with a turbo-charged recovery after Jack Harrison had sprinted clear.

Fastest players in 2023/24​

Until Van de Ven's lung-bursting run in Spurs' 3-2 win against Brentford, Luton Town's Chiedozie Ogbene had recorded the top Premier League speed this season of just under 37km/h against Fulham in September.

Van de Ven's time is even more remarkable due to it being a huge 0.45km/h quicker than the fastest speed recorded by Ogbene, who had been a mere 0.07km/h faster than Pedro Neto of Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Liverpool midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai is fourth-fastest this season at 36.76 km/h, narrowly edging out Burnley defender Dara O'Shea.
He’s fast, we can all see this but the media do this every season. The stats (top speed) are useless but even worse the press are now comparing him to the fastest man to have ever lived!!!!!

Bolt speed is recorded over 100m, his speed increases over this distance too but is likely to hold his highest speed for 50-40meters. He also has standing start.

VdV’s sprint would have been achieved over a few meters over a short distance and not from a stationary.

Yeah he’s bloody rapid. Thankfully and more importantly he knows how to kick a football very well.

He’s fast, we can all see this but the media do this every season. The stats (top speed) are useless but even worse the press are now comparing him to the fastest man to have ever lived!!!!!

Bolt speed is recorded over 100m, his speed increases over this distance too but is likely to hold his highest speed for 50-40meters. He also has standing start.

VdV’s sprint would have been achieved over a few meters over a short distance and not from a stationary.

Yeah he’s bloody rapid. Thankfully and more importantly he knows how to kick a football very well.

Yeah, you know these stats are a bit misleading when this was once the case :

Maybe Paratici loves it

EhYe4ZiWoAAhCMo.jpg:large
He looks so much like a Harkonnen out of the new Dune movie.

Postecoglou says Tottenham have a 22-year-old who is going to be incredible

The man from Greece is quoted by Tottenham’s official YouTube channel as saying: “We kind of knew what we were getting from Micky from a physical perspective. There is plenty of evidence that showed what we have already seen that his speed and ability to recover was elite, for sure, but then it’s not just about running fast. Football is more than that, it’s more than just speed. You have to use that in the right way and I have been really impressed by how he’s adapted to Premier League football.

“He’s up against top strikers every week and his ability to use that speed in such an effective way in terms of his defensive work, I think has been outstanding for such a young man in his first year. Don’t forget before he came to us he’d only had one year in the Bundesliga, so there is so much more to come from him but I have been really pleased with just the way he has gone up to this level and used what he has as his strengths.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YywWFZ1j8b0

He'd get pinged for speeding in London, it's pretty much a 20mph zone now.
I may have imagined it, but didn't someone try summit like that with (I'm gonna say Usain Bolt, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't) where they filmed him running past a speed camera to see if it would flash!

Maybe I dreamt it...?

Saw that earlier, thought it was brilliantly summed up

Fast/all action centre backs are just easier to digest for the casual football fan because it looks like they are doing more on the pitch, also last ditch tackles live longer in the memory than a defender stepping out and stopping an attack because it's more exciting.

I rate both players highly but I rate Romero just that little bit higher personally but I understand why fans rate Micky higher.

One of the best 90mins from a central defender I can remember seeing. Unbelievable physical tools and reads the game in terms of his positioning very well too.

You expect him to win every duel and every loose ball in the defensive half, which is so so valuable in this side. We could basically just have him at the back on his own for 90% of the game because he is so dominant there. Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom