Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As many have said winning is a sign of great teams .
Till we have bettered (unlikely or a league title ) the cup glory of the early 80s
Side then they will always be considered the better team .
You getting nothing for coming 2nd /3rd etc.
In my book ,

1) Bills double team of the early 60s .
2) Arthur's Push and run team of the early 50s .
3) Keith's swashbuckling cup glory of the early 80s when they meant something.
4) Bills mid 60s chav beating FA cup boys .
5) Bills early 70s side , European glory , 2 league cups .
6) Todays team but it will be forgotten if no success.
7) 1987 Fa finalists but they didn't deliver .
8) Harry's Bale , VDV, Modric side .
9) Venables Gazza inspired team , without him rather ordinary .
10) the famous five ' for a few weeks they looked world beaters before they self imploded .

Interesting to list our worse teams ?

How on God earth are Tottenham less likely to make the cl 16 then Liverpool. What fucking computer can generate this obvious horse shot and why is London evening standard give this pish credence

Spurs least likely Premier League to reach Champions League last-16

Dont waste your energy....remember 2010?

Hahahaha....Spurs WILL NEVER make the run in for 4th. They've got Woolwich, Utd, Chelsea and City, hahahah

Oh....Well Spurs WILL NEVER qualify anyway...hahahahah 3-0 Young Boys!! Hahahaha

Oh

Look at Spurs group! Hahaha....they will never get out of that group....they will get smashed by Inter!! haha

Oh

Hahahahah Spurs got Milan!! Bye Spurs hahahahahah!!!!

Oh

SEEEEE SEEEEE, I TOLD YOU THEY WOULD NOT BEAT REAL HAHAHAHA

:pochbye:

How on God earth are Tottenham less likely to make the cl 16 then Liverpool. What fucking computer can generate this obvious horse shit and why is London's evening standard giving this pish credence. It's a Thursday surely this is a day to be concentrating on the Woolwich.

The really weird thing about that is if you look at the quarter-final odds, our odds are better than Liverpools. Work that one out.

How on God earth are Tottenham less likely to make the cl 16 then Liverpool. What fucking computer can generate this obvious horse shit and why is London's evening standard giving this pish credence. It's a Thursday surely this is a day to be concentrating on the Woolwich.

Only person I read from The Standard is Tom Colomossi.

Roman's mate owns The Standard, Alexander Lebedevthere and his son, a cosy little web of oligarch's.
cca67ef29135de2f02b37d5a9ae07d20.jpg

Excellent piece by @spursblogger, Alan Fisher...

It seems to me that Spurs’ recent success has upset a few people. The old Tottenham, you knew where you were with them. A club with heritage but a great future behind us. Twenty-odd transitional seasons in a row, constantly failing to live up to expectations. The UEFA Cup was tailor-made for us, the competition for teams who aren’t good enough. Echoes of glory first taunted us then became the sound of silence as we took stock for another year of more of the same.

After a while, fans wrapped ourselves up in the cosy familiarity of it all, comfort blankets of self-deprecation and fatalistic humour, of being spursy, to keep out the icy chill of envy as neighbours from down the road and west London did rather better. And throughout we stayed loyal, turned up, proud to be Spurs, never wanted to be like them.

We knew our place, then we were good and it all went wrong. Wrong that is for those who wouldn’t accept that things had changed, changed not through the largesse of dodgy foreign billionaires but because we got it about right. Good players and a manager who could make them better, who could make them believe in him and themselves. Living within our means. No coincidence that rivalry with Chelsea and West Ham has become white hot since we had the nerve to be good.

Sections of the media have had trouble adjusting too. Fans are fond of accusing the media of being biased against their club and theirs alone, and many Spurs fans would agree with such allegations but I doubt it’s accurate. Supporters of every club say the same – recently I’ve seen this taken for granted in social media debates amongst Manchester United and Chelsea fans. The media needs United like it needs no other side because of their power to raise viewing figures, sell papers and generate clicks.

The media frame their perceptions in terms of their narrative. It’s the same for every club, just a different narrative. For twenty or more years, Spurs played out the narrative I’ve described above. Pundits and journalists knew where they were with it. Being different has confused some of them. In response, some of them want to keep the narrative at the expense of reality.

Which brings me to Matt Hughes’ article in yesterday’s Times. Not the Star or the S*n, the Times, and yes, to someone of my generation that still matters. Hughes says Spurs are no longer the right club for Harry Kane because he’s too good for us.

“Put bluntly it appears that Kane’s talent and personal accomplishments could soon outgrow those of Spurs particularly given the financial and squad-building restrictions caused by building the club’s new stadium, although whether he recognises that as yet is uncertain. Given Tottenham have won just one trophy in the last 18 years – the 2008 League Cup – it is questionable whether the club is the fitting stage for his talents.”

What is most questionable about this piece are misleading assumptions about the club, the player and the imperatives of contemporary football upon which it is based. Tottenham are battling to be better, to be contenders. Undoubtedly Levy’s financial restrictions make this task harder but right now we’re in there fighting. Stadium costs impede efforts in the short term but ensure long-term growth. Nothing seems further from Hughes’ mind than the possibility we might crack this one. I’m a realist: Wembley diminishes our chances of league honours, a lack of progress means our top players will be vulnerable to transfer bids, which diminishes our chances, and so on and so it goes. Equally, there is a legitimate alternative scenario where this side matures and develops into a real force with a future secured by vastly higher income streams. And so that goes too.

Then there is Kane himself. The article acknowledges that he is happy at Tottenham. However, this is supposedly outweighed by his comparatively low salary (Andre Gray and Nathaniel Clyne earn more than he does, to put his wages in perspective) and the rumoured resentment amongst his team-mates created by his acceptance of such a contract, which depresses wages for everyone else allegedly.

Thus the fact Kane is happy at Spurs is characterised as irrelevant and frankly odd. Look again at the quote above: “whether he recognises that as yet is uncertain.” Hughes will not accept that Kane can think clearly for himself. That sentence reeks of contempt.

Here’s a thought. Harry has made his own mind up that he is content with his lot in life at the moment. On top form, he wants to be part of Pochettino’s Tottenham. He lives with his new baby near his extended family, and a decent living it is too.

Elsewhere in the piece Hughes says clearly that Kane’s loyalty could hinder his career. For Hughes, loyalty, the quality perhaps most valued by supporters, both in our own identity as Spurs fans and in our players, is denigrated then dismissed.

Kane could earn a lot more elsewhere. If he left, I’d wish him well. What infuriates me is the dismissal of the notion that there is value in where his life is at right now. It’s a decent package: home life, the club who have looked after him and coached him to become the player he is, a manager with faith in him. And a crowd who adore him, who sing ‘he’s one of our own’ and mean it. To a bloke like Harry, that matters too. Kane has integrity and honesty. Those qualities don’t hold him back, they make him the man and the player he has become.

This article is about Harry Kane but the narrative holds across much football punditry. That all good players must inevitably end up at one of Europe’s few elite clubs. Kane’s performances are greeted each week on Sky TV with the grating story, ‘he’s due a move to a bigger club.’ I’m looking at you Jamie Redknapp. Many in the media are quick to employ another popular narrative with professional footballers, that they are over-paid, aloof, distant from fans and from the real world, only in it for the money. Yet when a conflicting story comes along, they are quick to reinforce this stereotype and say that money is what matters. I look forward to the article saying that Kane breaks the mould, that he’s a role model on and off the pitch, a professional footballer who understands his roots, knows what really matters in life, cares about his performances and about the supporters.

I’ll wait.

Kane Defies Expectations: Shame Some Still Don’t Get It. And Tottenham On My Mind is Changing

What I don’t get is that nobody ever gives us a team that Kane is going to sign for. Who could he honestly leave us for?

Man City have Aguero.
Man Utd have Lukaku
Chelse have Morata
Real have Benzema
Barcelona have Suarez
Bayern have Lewandowski
PSG have everyone else

None of these teams are going to spend the large end of £200m on a striker that is as good or slightly better than who they have already. You spend £200m on someone who is light years ahead of the player being replaced. And no matter how good Kane is, he’s not that far ahead of the players mentioned.

Only Juventus would take him as a significant upgrade on Higuain, but can anyone honestly see Kane go there?

He’s already at a club he loves and pretty much the biggest club he can regularly get a game for. Is this why the press continue to troll us? Because there’s no story here?

Excellent piece by @spursblogger, Alan Fisher...

It seems to me that Spurs’ recent success has upset a few people. The old Tottenham, you knew where you were with them. A club with heritage but a great future behind us. Twenty-odd transitional seasons in a row, constantly failing to live up to expectations. The UEFA Cup was tailor-made for us, the competition for teams who aren’t good enough. Echoes of glory first taunted us then became the sound of silence as we took stock for another year of more of the same.

After a while, fans wrapped ourselves up in the cosy familiarity of it all, comfort blankets of self-deprecation and fatalistic humour, of being spursy, to keep out the icy chill of envy as neighbours from down the road and west London did rather better. And throughout we stayed loyal, turned up, proud to be Spurs, never wanted to be like them.

We knew our place, then we were good and it all went wrong. Wrong that is for those who wouldn’t accept that things had changed, changed not through the largesse of dodgy foreign billionaires but because we got it about right. Good players and a manager who could make them better, who could make them believe in him and themselves. Living within our means. No coincidence that rivalry with Chelsea and West Ham has become white hot since we had the nerve to be good.

Sections of the media have had trouble adjusting too. Fans are fond of accusing the media of being biased against their club and theirs alone, and many Spurs fans would agree with such allegations but I doubt it’s accurate. Supporters of every club say the same – recently I’ve seen this taken for granted in social media debates amongst Manchester United and Chelsea fans. The media needs United like it needs no other side because of their power to raise viewing figures, sell papers and generate clicks.

The media frame their perceptions in terms of their narrative. It’s the same for every club, just a different narrative. For twenty or more years, Spurs played out the narrative I’ve described above. Pundits and journalists knew where they were with it. Being different has confused some of them. In response, some of them want to keep the narrative at the expense of reality.

Which brings me to Matt Hughes’ article in yesterday’s Times. Not the Star or the S*n, the Times, and yes, to someone of my generation that still matters. Hughes says Spurs are no longer the right club for Harry Kane because he’s too good for us.

“Put bluntly it appears that Kane’s talent and personal accomplishments could soon outgrow those of Spurs particularly given the financial and squad-building restrictions caused by building the club’s new stadium, although whether he recognises that as yet is uncertain. Given Tottenham have won just one trophy in the last 18 years – the 2008 League Cup – it is questionable whether the club is the fitting stage for his talents.”

What is most questionable about this piece are misleading assumptions about the club, the player and the imperatives of contemporary football upon which it is based. Tottenham are battling to be better, to be contenders. Undoubtedly Levy’s financial restrictions make this task harder but right now we’re in there fighting. Stadium costs impede efforts in the short term but ensure long-term growth. Nothing seems further from Hughes’ mind than the possibility we might crack this one. I’m a realist: Wembley diminishes our chances of league honours, a lack of progress means our top players will be vulnerable to transfer bids, which diminishes our chances, and so on and so it goes. Equally, there is a legitimate alternative scenario where this side matures and develops into a real force with a future secured by vastly higher income streams. And so that goes too.

Then there is Kane himself. The article acknowledges that he is happy at Tottenham. However, this is supposedly outweighed by his comparatively low salary (Andre Gray and Nathaniel Clyne earn more than he does, to put his wages in perspective) and the rumoured resentment amongst his team-mates created by his acceptance of such a contract, which depresses wages for everyone else allegedly.

Thus the fact Kane is happy at Spurs is characterised as irrelevant and frankly odd. Look again at the quote above: “whether he recognises that as yet is uncertain.” Hughes will not accept that Kane can think clearly for himself. That sentence reeks of contempt.

Here’s a thought. Harry has made his own mind up that he is content with his lot in life at the moment. On top form, he wants to be part of Pochettino’s Tottenham. He lives with his new baby near his extended family, and a decent living it is too.

Elsewhere in the piece Hughes says clearly that Kane’s loyalty could hinder his career. For Hughes, loyalty, the quality perhaps most valued by supporters, both in our own identity as Spurs fans and in our players, is denigrated then dismissed.

Kane could earn a lot more elsewhere. If he left, I’d wish him well. What infuriates me is the dismissal of the notion that there is value in where his life is at right now. It’s a decent package: home life, the club who have looked after him and coached him to become the player he is, a manager with faith in him. And a crowd who adore him, who sing ‘he’s one of our own’ and mean it. To a bloke like Harry, that matters too. Kane has integrity and honesty. Those qualities don’t hold him back, they make him the man and the player he has become.

This article is about Harry Kane but the narrative holds across much football punditry. That all good players must inevitably end up at one of Europe’s few elite clubs. Kane’s performances are greeted each week on Sky TV with the grating story, ‘he’s due a move to a bigger club.’ I’m looking at you Jamie Redknapp. Many in the media are quick to employ another popular narrative with professional footballers, that they are over-paid, aloof, distant from fans and from the real world, only in it for the money. Yet when a conflicting story comes along, they are quick to reinforce this stereotype and say that money is what matters. I look forward to the article saying that Kane breaks the mould, that he’s a role model on and off the pitch, a professional footballer who understands his roots, knows what really matters in life, cares about his performances and about the supporters.

I’ll wait.

Kane Defies Expectations: Shame Some Still Don’t Get It. And Tottenham On My Mind is Changing

Good read that.

The media talking about us as if we are a 6th place team, and forgetting we were runners up to the title.
Same cunts who said we'd struggle for 4th last year.....and again this year.

I mean, a team not in debt, with an academy that gives youth a chance, a manager who never speaks ill of anyone or complains about refs or taps up players, and some 5 players in the England team.....lets try and destroy them

Good read that.

The media talking about us as if we are a 6th place team, and forgetting we were runners up to the title.

I mean, a team not in debt, with an academy that gives youth a chance, a manager who never speaks ill of anyone or complains about refs or taps up players, and some 5 players in the England team.....lets try and destroy them

The bloody cheek of us as a club, disgusting.

What I don’t get is that nobody ever gives us a team that Kane is going to sign for. Who could he honestly leave us for?

Man City have Aguero.
Man Utd have Lukaku
Chelse have Morata
Real have Benzema
Barcelona have Suarez
Bayern have Lewandowski
PSG have everyone else

None of these teams are going to spend the large end of £200m on a striker that is as good or slightly better than who they have already. You spend £200m on someone who is light years ahead of the player being replaced. And no matter how good Kane is, he’s not that far ahead of the players mentioned.

Only Juventus would take him as a significant upgrade on Higuain, but can anyone honestly see Kane go there?

He’s already at a club he loves and pretty much the biggest club he can regularly get a game for. Is this why the press continue to troll us? Because there’s no story here?
Man U, City, Chelsea, and Real would absolutely bite Levy's hand off to sign Kane; if he were available. But besides the fact that Chelsea is firmly outside of the realm of possible transfers, Kane just simply has not encouraged suitors at all. We're talking an astonishing amount of money to sign Kane, and even then he's just not that fussed. Those clubs don't know how to respond to that.

Good read that.

The author is also a gooner.

As I've said before, Gerrard - epitome of a one club man. Stayed at his boyhood club, well actually that's Everton, a role model in loyalty and connection to the fans.
Shearer, turned down United to join his home town team, even though it cost him trophies. In fact he never won anything at Newcastle. True local hero.
Kane needs to leave to join a big club or he will never be world class.
Do me a favour.

Back
Top Bottom