Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What ex-liverpool players? It's you that said we need to win something to be taken seriously. You seem to be getting sucked into the media narrative about us.

Not really. I'm all for bigging us up but I really don't care what the media say about us. Really doesn't bother me.

That said, we can play all the wonderful football we like but if we never cross the finish line then it doesn't really matter does it? That's my view not the medias.

We need to win the "kangaroo cup" to develop a winning mentality. I don't turn my nose up at any trophy.

Not really. I'm all for bigging us up but I really don't care what the media say about us. Really doesn't bother me.

That said, we can play all the wonderful football we like but if we never cross the finish line then it doesn't really matter does it? That's my view not the medias.

We need to win the "kangaroo cup" to develop a winning mentality. I don't turn my nose up at any trophy.
I have more pride, more admiration of this side than I have over the 91 FA Cup winning side, same too with 2008 Carling Cup side. I love being a good side, a relevant side and a serious contender. Winning a Cup is great but it's crack cocaine, it wears off by the time the season starts again. 2008 was a fucking shite year, we were utter pony and our 11th place finish showed this in all it's glory. I don't remember anyone taking us seriously at the season end, not least our own fans and especially our rivals.

I have more pride, more admiration of this side than I have over the 91 FA Cup winning side, same too with 2008 Carling Cup side. I love being a good side, a relevant side and a serious contender. Winning a Cup is great but it's crack cocaine, it wears off by the time the season starts again. 2008 was a fucking shite year, we were utter pony and our 11th place finish showed this in all it's glory. I don't remember anyone taking us seriously at the season end, not least our own fans and especially our rivals.

I get what you are saying but with the quality of our squad do you not think there is a hint of failure finishing empty handed?

Personally if we don't win anything within the next two season I'll be very concerned and let down.

I get what you are saying but with the quality of our squad do you not think there is a hint of failure finishing empty handed?

Personally if we don't win anything within the next two season I'll be very concerned and let down.
Absolutely 100% no, and I find your position odd. You are watching what is probably the best team Spurs have fielded in your life time and yet you feel failure is on the horizon! (sorry for pre-judging your age). Where have you been the past 30 years, what team have you been following? Also, find it odd that you don't even smell a sniff of getting to another final, since Poch has been with us he has taken us to a Final and a Semi-Final in two of his three years. You sound so impatient, so desperate and lacking in faith, almost as though the past three years haven't happened. (apologise if I've got this wrong, but it's the vibe you are giving off).

Keep pointing these articles/programmes out so I make sure I do not watch them. Never listen to the talk programme on the Radio as so many posters have described how crap it is. Boycott these programmes as that is the only way you can retaliate. Seeing as we will put out a weak team for the league cup I will turn on at kick off time to avoid the no doubt biased sky presenters. They need to sell advertising space and if viewers do not listen to the build up when all the adverts are on it reduces the appeal to Advertisers.

Last edited:
Absolutely 100% no, and I find your position odd. You are watching what is probably the best team Spurs have fielded in your life time and yet you feel failure is on the horizon! (sorry for pre-judging your age). Where have you been the past 30 years, what team have you been following? Also, find it odd that you don't even smell a sniff of getting to another final, since Poch has been with us he has taken us to a Final and a Semi-Final in two of his three years. You sound so impatient, so desperate and lacking in faith, almost as though the past three years haven't happened. (apologise if I've got this wrong, but it's the vibe you are giving off).

I'm 27 so you're probably not that far off!

I'm really not a full of dread as I may come across mate. I'm still pinching myself that we are where we are and the players we have. I've only seen us lift one trophy and that's what I'm conscious of. I want this team to win things and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about isn't it? Or maybe as fans we all just prioritise things abit differently?

I don't sense failure on the Horrizon at all but that doesn't stop me from saying that we need to be winning things in the next couple of years.

Am I being too harsh by saying that? I really think our squad is more than capable of winning stuff and has been for a couple of seasons.

I'm 27 so you're probably not that far off!

I'm really not a full of dread as I may come across mate. I'm still pinching myself that we are where we are and the players we have. I've only seen us lift one trophy and that's what I'm conscious of. I want this team to win things and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about isn't it? Or maybe as fans we all just prioritise things abit differently?

I don't sense failure on the Horrizon at all but that doesn't stop me from saying that we need to be winning things in the next couple of years.

Am I being too harsh by saying that? I really think our squad is more than capable of winning stuff and has been for a couple of seasons.
We are good, very good, so why put pressure on it, sit back and enjoy it. Poch is building a title challenging side and as a direct consequence of this I’m sure the opportunity of a cup will present it self again just as it has twice in the past three years. Any cups will NOT keep this side together, the chance to play for one of the best sides in the country will (&/or the chance of more dosh) players will be queuing up to be given the chance to be involved in such a team. This is what Poch is focusing on, his open about this goal, proper ambition, proper big boys football.

Let’s face it most of the teams in the PL devalue both cup competitions by not playing their full strength sides in the earlier rounds anyway. That in itself tells you how serious they are about winning it. Mourinho has even gone a step further by saying we don’t need the League Cup anymore. How many times has he won it? 2-3 times? He clearly doesn’t hold that cup in high regard.

Going back to the original point of the thread: Media coverage in competitive markets is primarily driven by a dynamic of 'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours'. On the basis of it being a marathon, not a sprint. There's no love between the press and their targets, but the teams they cover give them 'scoops', while they agree to do favours when necessary (like shelving the Terry-Cole reach-arounds). Even teams with nothing else to offer can pay hard cash for silence, but obviously big teams have to pay more.

Now, 'big' teams have to be seen to be big, which means positive AND negative press. Even getting a player in the shit is good for publicity, it says your club is important and bad shit affects its integrity. Trying to cover it up plays into the minds of the public and furthers the club's notoriety/reputation as an important institution.

So, NOT giving the Spurs equal coverage is a sign that we either aren't playing ball or aren't interesting enough to cover. The latter is obviously nuts, since we're a top-3 team now, so the former (or something totally left-field) must be the case. Playing the game with news outlets is dicey, so maybe Levy wants to avoid it. I don't know, but I'd really like to know whether Lamela was injured or serving a ban.

I'm trying neat whiskey, so this might all be bullshit.

:pocheyes:

Here's summit that's been bugging me for a while...
The Mark Lawrensen 'predictor' thing on the BBC (and no, this isnt about him putting Liverpool top each season)
...but more to do with the guests... they're ALWAYS Gooners!!

Every week it seems they wheel another one out to display their over inflated self-importance by gracing us with their 'informed' opinion of how ArseAnal will win, and at the same time either totally slate Spurs, or 'begrudgingly' accept we might win once in a while!
It sets up a 'tone' that is then repeated week after week.. .

I thought I was imagining it... but just check out the last few weeks (including today)

Now whether this is 'cos they only seek out Gooners, or that the ONLY Celebs willing to take part all happen to be gooners, I dunno... but last season was just as bad... they're EVERYWHERE!

It definitely needs re-balancing... and NOT just with Celeb YIDS either.... there are another 91 clubs to choose from, and yet the BBC somehow always select from ONE gene pool!!

I've been supporting the club since 67 and would rather see the club win something for all of its great play, teamwork and players. Potential is nothing without an end product and the whole purpose of having leagues and cups is winning the damn things.
If we had won the league cup a couple of years ago, I believe it would have given the players a taste for the good life and made them want more of it.
Another season potless and I reckon the team will fracture and break up. Particularly if we lose Poch

Here's summit that's been bugging me for a while...
The Mark Lawrensen 'predictor' thing on the BBC (and no, this isnt about him putting Liverpool top each season)
...but more to do with the guests... they're ALWAYS Gooners!!

Every week it seems they wheel another one out to display their over inflated self-importance by gracing us with their 'informed' opinion of how ArseAnal will win, and at the same time either totally slate Spurs, or 'begrudgingly' accept we might win once in a while!
It sets up a 'tone' that is then repeated week after week.. .

I thought I was imagining it... but just check out the last few weeks (including today)

Now whether this is 'cos they only seek out Gooners, or that the ONLY Celebs willing to take part all happen to be gooners, I dunno... but last season was just as bad... they're EVERYWHERE!

It definitely needs re-balancing... and NOT just with Celeb YIDS either.... there are another 91 clubs to choose from, and yet the BBC somehow always select from ONE gene pool!!

And Sky are worse as they have Merson predicting every week on Premiership and then change it for CL and wheel out another Gooner to do the predictions.

Sky now pushing the fact that we struggle in stadiums that hold over 50,000 fans. They fail to point out that most of the better teams play in larger stadiums so this stat could apply to any number of teams.

Back
Top Bottom