Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foyth is an interesting transfer. Certainly we were determined to sign the guy. However, at his age and relative inexperience he should be in the development squad. But I think the PR department wanted to flag up we were improving the first team squad. Which is not really the case here. Spin.

Wimmer I liked. But he seemed to be off the pace and unfit last season - and I think the lasagne story might explain why. However he was sold at a big profit and not replaced which has hurt the squad overall. And your point is valid. The squad needed more depth not swapping of players.

Jansen I do not get why anyone is upset over this guy being moved on. He was shit at premier league level. He was given chance after chance and came up short every time. The squad is no better / worse with or without him. A trier yes, but he was not even as good as. Darren Bent. His goals return in Turkey is a whopping 1 in 5 ( 2 overall ). He has ability but it’s not at our level.

The question is and I do not know the answer 'is it better to play a player not up to the required level (Wimmer or Janssen) or keep overplaying the best players Kane, Eriksen & Dier exposing them to possible injury or loss of form.
Not sure who will be in defense for the next 3 league matches but we are a player short in that area in my opinion and if Dier or Vertonghan get injured or suspended now we are in trouble. Tonight if we had Janssen, I would have played him as quite frankly I cannot see Llorente scoring and whilst the same could be said of Janssen, at least he puts himself about. Llorente could be on the bench and come on.
Ideally we would have bought better players but I really cannot see we have enough attacking options as the other top teams have.

The question is and I do not know the answer 'is it better to play a player not up to the required level (Wimmer or Janssen) or keep overplaying the best players Kane, Eriksen & Dier exposing them to possible injury or loss of form.
Not sure who will be in defense for the next 3 league matches but we are a player short in that area in my opinion and if Dier or Vertonghan get injured or suspended now we are in trouble. Tonight if we had Janssen, I would have played him as quite frankly I cannot see Llorente scoring and whilst the same could be said of Janssen, at least he puts himself about. Llorente could be on the bench and come on.
Ideally we would have bought better players but I really cannot see we have enough attacking options as the other top teams have.
Have to say I never fully understood why we shipped out Janssen on loan. There would have been no harm in having two back up strikers. Just hope that he develops with more playing time and ends up being worth bringing back.

Have to say I never fully understood why we shipped out Janssen on loan. There would have been no harm in having two back up strikers. Just hope that he develops with more playing time and ends up being worth bringing back.
2 goals in 10 for the Captains......

Foyth is an interesting transfer. Certainly we were determined to sign the guy. However, at his age and relative inexperience he should be in the development squad. But I think the PR department wanted to flag up we were improving the first team squad. Which is not really the case here. Spin.

Wimmer I liked. But he seemed to be off the pace and unfit last season - and I think the lasagne story might explain why. However he was sold at a big profit and not replaced which has hurt the squad overall. And your point is valid. The squad needed more depth not swapping of players.

Wimmer hardly played last season so I don't see how his departure hurt the squad, Who does Sanchez replace?

Don't know if this has been posted somewhere already, but it was interesting: Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham must act more swiftly on transfer deals

Pochettino betrayed an element of frustration at Tottenham’s summer business when he was asked whether he needed to qualify once more for the Champions League to attract the best players. “But you have the very good example of last season,” he said. “How did we finish? In second place. And we attract? We attract?”

The questioner tried to be positive and highlighted how Sánchez had been signed. “We attract a 21-year-old,” Pochettino said, pointedly. “Yes or no?”

Don't know if this has been posted somewhere already, but it was interesting: Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham must act more swiftly on transfer deals

Pochettino betrayed an element of frustration at Tottenham’s summer business when he was asked whether he needed to qualify once more for the Champions League to attract the best players. “But you have the very good example of last season,” he said. “How did we finish? In second place. And we attract? We attract?”

The questioner tried to be positive and highlighted how Sánchez had been signed. “We attract a 21-year-old,” Pochettino said, pointedly. “Yes or no?”
Exactly what myself Don Giovanni Don Giovanni scott scott , Bill Madrid Bill Madrid and numerous other concerned posters were saying all summer.
Only to be vilified, hounded, mocked and even labelled as trolls by the usual suspects. Poch was virtually on his knees with a begging bowl towards the end of the window....
Publicly humiliated as all our rivals strengthened their hand while he had to plead for Levy to back him
After what he'd done for this club over the past 2 seasons he deserved so much more

Last edited:
Exactly what myself Don Giovanni Don Giovanni scott scott , Bill Madrid Bill Madrid and numerous other concerned posters were saying all summer.
Only to be vilified, hounded, mocked and even labelled as trolls by the usual suspects. Poch was virtually on his knees with a begging bowl towards the end of the window....
After what hes done for this club, it was nothing short of disgreaceful disrespect by the board.

sammyspurs sammyspurs

tenor.gif

Publicly humiliated as all our rivals strengthened their hand while he had to plead for Levy to back him
After what he'd done for this club over the past 2 seasons he deserved so much more
Yes, yes, all well and good.But some of us believe that we are building a new stadium which the project for is costing 1billion. Furthermore, I believe even Abramovich has expressed frustration at competing with the resources of a country at City. Then you have the club that makes the biggest revenue in the world across the city.
So some people, with rationality, can understand the frustrations we have in the transfer market, especially Poch (he has said so numerous times); others, like yourself, don’t believe we are building a stadium and think Levy is just stealing the cash. I know which camp im in (the one with Poch), although I do appreciate the appeal of fantasy

Yes, yes, all well and good.But some of us believe that we are building a new stadium which the project for is costing 1billion.
Ah yes. The new stadium that John dont believe we're building.
Its like a defence mechanism when you lose the argument. Instead of admitting defeat, lets bring up Johns stadium denial.
Tell you what chap, have a word with Poch about the £1billion project. I guess he has a little more insight than you . He gave the interview. I just merely commented and agreed with him

Yes, yes, all well and good.But some of us believe that we are building a new stadium which the project for is costing 1billion. Furthermore, I believe even Abramovich has expressed frustration at competing with the resources of a country at City. Then you have the club that makes the biggest revenue in the world across the city.
So some people, with rationality, can understand the frustrations we have in the transfer market, especially Poch (he has said so numerous times); others, like yourself, don’t believe we are building a stadium and think Levy is just stealing the cash. I know which camp im in (the one with Poch), although I do appreciate the appeal of fantasy

Surely, as a self-proclaimed intellectual and the Godfather of multis, you should be able to do better than that?

What has happened to you man? It’s like watching McGregor trying to land a pathetic punch in the Mayweather fight.

UepSTfZ.gif

Ah yes. The new stadium that John dont believe we're building.
Its like a defence mechanism when you lose the argument. Instead of admitting defeat, lets bring up Johns stadium denial.
Tell you what chap, have a word with Poch about the £1billion project. I guess he has a little more insight than you . He gave the interview. I just merely commented and agreed with him
I’ve read the article, the difference is, I actually understand it. I’ve also read the book. At several points he explains how we are competing to sign world class players against clubs that can pay a lot more. He says we have to be clever and do deals like we did with Ali (exactly as he says in the above interview).
You jump on it as evidence of how Levy is fucking the club. Continuing with your insane agenda earlier highlighted by your refusal to believe a stadium was being built despite the foundations being put in

Surely, as a self-proclaimed intellectual and the Godfather of multis, you should be able to do better than that?

What has happened to you man? It’s like watching McGregor trying to land a pathetic punch in the Mayweather fight.

UepSTfZ.gif
Not sure if there is a point in here or if it is pure troll. Either way it’s quite poor. Try to think through what you’re going to say first, everyone loves a gif but try to have some kind of message behind it

Not sure if there is a point in here or if it is pure troll. Either way it’s quite poor. Try to think through what you’re going to say first, everyone loves a gif but try to have some kind of message behind it

I simply want you to prosper, my good man.
You can do better. Hit harder - if you must.

I simply want you to prosper, my good man.
You can do better. Hit harder - if you must.
I neither need nor appreciate your assistance. Try to assist John. You seem like you have a normally functioning, although slightly demented, mind. Can you explain to old John boy how a market works? Several have tried but he seems unable to grasp the concept

I’ve read the article, the difference is, I actually understand it.
You understand fuck all. Its in black and fucking white. He says last summers fannying about cost us fucking points and we need to act swifter and smarter in the future. Levys deadline day frolics to save a few quid is hampering his pre season preparations.
Keep your head in the sand and believe its all rosy posy though eh'.
Either your saying Pochs deluded, or hes a liar. Which is it?

Last edited:
You understand fuck all. Its in black and fucking white. He says last summers fannying about cost us fucking points and we need to act swifter and smarter in the future. Levys deadline day frolocs to save a few quid is hampering his pre season preparations.
Keep your head in the sand and believe its all rosy posy though eh'.
Either your saying Pochs deluded, or hes a liar. Which is it?
This all seems beyond you John. But I’ll give it one more try before letting you continue to live in La la land.

You say Poch says we fucked about in the summer window. Poch says
"We need to sign players in January and bring them in six months before,"
You say that Levy is fucking him over while our rivals strengthen. Poch says
"If not, we're going to compete in the same period as [Manchester] City, [Manchester] United, Liverpool and Chelsea. We're going to struggle to bring in the players we want.
You say Poch has been disrespected by Levy. Poch says,
‘I love Daniel’.
You seem to really struggle with reality John. I’m not sure I can help you any further, psychology isn’t my field

Haha, so Pochettino thought we could sign Messi for a billion pounds, that was how those concerns got rebadged wasn't it?

Last edited:
This all seems beyond you John. But I’ll give it one more try before letting you continue to live in La la land.

You say Poch says we fucked about in the summer window. Poch says
"We need to sign players in January and bring them in six months before,"
You say that Levy is fucking him over while are rivals strengthen. Poch says
"If not, we're going to compete in the same period as [Manchester] City, [Manchester] United, Liverpool and Chelsea. We're going to struggle to bring in the players we want.
You say Poch has been disrespected by Levy. Poch says,
‘I love Daniel’.
You seem to really struggle with reality John. I’m not sure I can help you any further, psychology isn’t my field
This summer was a very good example because we signed good players but it was so late with no pre season

The most important thing is to identify your targets and when we start pre season they are here

If we dont its difficult for them to help the team and during the season you are going
to pay

Its so important to identify your targets for the summer, not wait until May and before we sign we sell.

Pochettino was frustrated with last summers business

How did we finish, second! And did we attract? Did we attract?

Ok Baby. As you like

This summer was a very good example because we signed good players but it was so late with no pre season

The most important thing is to identify your targets and when we start pre season they are here

If we dont its difficult for them to help the team and during the season you are going
to pay

Its so important to identify your targets for the summer, not wait until May and before we sign we sell.

Pochettino was frustrated with last summers business

How did we finish, second! And did we attract? Did we attract?

Ok Baby. As you like

You’re right mate. I missed that part. Clearly he feels Levy is fucking him over.
Pochettino 'in love' with Levy as he thanks chairman for Spurs chance

La_La_Land_%28film%29.png

To my mind Poch is obviously frustrated with our league form and is making it publicly known that for him the current issues go back to the summer.

He may have a point but I don't remember him raising similar concerns after the wins over Liverpool and Real Madrid for example.

I think he knows which of our 'star' players want out and which ones don't. I'd put Dele, Toby and Rose in the former camp and Harry, Jan and Hugo in the latter. Split on the fence regarding Eriksen, Dier and Lamela though. It's almost an admittance that over the next couple of windows he's going to have to build a new side capable of challenging the big boys.

Better start in January than leave it until the summer. I think we'll sign Barkley that month though possibly may be on a pre-contract deal.

Back
Top Bottom