Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If there is one thing I have to complain about with Poch, it is his management of a full squad/his reserves. Today's game highlighted this.

Llorente was slow, sluggish and out of sync with his teammates. In part that is because he doesn't really suit our system. But it is also because he gets so little playing time. I am not saying he should dethrone Kane but the matter of the fact is that if your reserves don't get regular game time they are going to be rusty when called upon. Poch needs to get better at making sure that these reserve/squad players get some minutes in the league now and then. Pep does this well at City and majority of title winning managers know how to manage an entire squad and making sure that they are ready when called upon. Instead they spend all their time on the bench or outside of the squad and become deadwood that we will struggle to move on.

Right now it feels like Poch is very set in his ways and has his core squad that he rarely moves from and when he does it is as a last resort like today, and we get games like today then.

Poch is the greatest manager we have had in a long long time. No doubt about it. But he still has things to learn to add to his game.

I have been saying that rotation thing for ages now.
Every time I dare to mention it in matchday thread (for example while suggesting lineups) I get smacked across figers with a ruler, and hear that "find your best XI and play them as much as you can." or "your best players have to be out there as much as possible." or something else from this opera.

But yea, how could folks like Llorente keep their match sharpness and improve their understanding with teammates when they are mostly left out in the cold. And to come on in such situation with high expectations... tough call.

Also I would add another point that has worried me recently.
There has been a number of games where we have put ourselves into tough place by our mentality / preparation for halves. I mean such halves such as II HT vs Wolves, I half vs ManU, I half today. In those same games, on same days we prove that we can do it better even with pretty much same personell. But to take today's game as an example... we were half asleep in 1st half. We never put together decent attacking movement and fast moving passes before we were 0:1 behind! And I am so relieved and happy we escaped it today, but draw against one of the weakest teams in league was very close. Due to passive / lazy 1st half display.

We need to be ready to fight at all times. Cannot allow such lapses.

Really enjoyed that SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs ...

What I found refreshing was when he was asked about the best decision he has ever made as a manager. His response was profound.

Im summarising, but he replied that " he needs to take into account the consequences of his decisions as it relates to the people involved, their family, friends and so forth. " No doubt managers need to make decisions on a daily basis for the benefit of the team / club, but it showed why Poch is so highly regarded that he thinks about the "consequences " of the decision, as it relates to the effect it may have on a very personal level. Its a balancing act indeed, but he seems very well grounded in what needs to be achieved, whilst also acknowledging that these daily decisions have lasting effect on a human level.

He has a wonderful future and will achieve a great deal being able to balance a successful resume with a real sensitivity to those under his leadership / control.

If there is one thing I have to complain about with Poch, it is his management of a full squad/his reserves. Today's game highlighted this.

Llorente was slow, sluggish and out of sync with his teammates. In part that is because he doesn't really suit our system. But it is also because he gets so little playing time. I am not saying he should dethrone Kane but the matter of the fact is that if your reserves don't get regular game time they are going to be rusty when called upon. Poch needs to get better at making sure that these reserve/squad players get some minutes in the league now and then. Pep does this well at City and majority of title winning managers know how to manage an entire squad and making sure that they are ready when called upon. Instead they spend all their time on the bench or outside of the squad and become deadwood that we will struggle to move on.

Right now it feels like Poch is very set in his ways and has his core squad that he rarely moves from and when he does it is as a last resort like today, and we get games like today then.

Poch is the greatest manager we have had in a long long time. No doubt about it. But he still has things to learn to add to his game.
Or he's simply been proved right that Llorente is shit and doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the first 11, same with Soldaodo, same with Jansen. There are some players that simply not at the level of the first 11.

Guardiola can do this when his squad is the most expensively assembled squad in the history of the game. Their 2nd 11 could probably win or at least challenge for the PL title.

Or he's simply been proved right that Llorente is shit and doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the first 11, same with Soldaodo, same with Jansen. There are some players that simply not at the level of the first 11.

Guardiola can do this when his squad is the most expensively assembled squad in the history of the game. Their 2nd 11 could probably win or at least challenge for the PL title.

But Soldado and Llorente are different to Janssen.

Both Spaniards had shown their quality in La Liga and in Llorente's case in the Premier.

Some people do write nonsense to be fair.

Systems don't make Llorente miss 2 sitters do they?

He had a poor game for reasons that need less analysis as we won.

In my opinion if he must be at a club like ours and if he was to be used so sparingly or didn't fit Pochettino's preferred way of playing we should have been all over a young and up and coming striker.

I just hope Llorente bags in the deciding goal on Thursday.

Last edited:

Kane is a potential champion, he is one of the souls of the Totthenam. He is a complete player: speed, technique, physical size. The author is a good comrade, very good at the head. It reminds me of an old-fashioned English striker. They are not comparable players for many reasons. At the same time he is a serious professional who accepts the reserve role and has international experience (PL, Liga and Serie A) to come in handy.

Guardiola is a great coach, a top. But if Poch (or any other coach) had had the budget of Guardiola (or Klopp) maybe at this time would have had another PL. Guardiola goes to a team only if there is a very high budget available. For example, Allegri had more money each year (for the buying market) available based on results.

But Soldado and Llorente are different to Janssen.

Both Spaniards hsd shown their quality in La Liga and in Llorente's case in the Premier.

Some people do write nonsense to be fair.

Systems don't make Llorente miss 2 sitters do they?

He had a poor game for reasons that need less analysis as we won.

In my opinion if he must be at a club like ours and if he was to be used so sparingly or didn't fit Pochettino's preferred way of playing we should have been all over a young and up and coming striker.

I just hope Llorente bags in the deciding goal on Thursday.
There comes a time in a players career when they just fall off the pace, some hit a brick wall (Vidic followed by Ferdinand for example), others are lucky that they can reinvent or prolong their careers by moving position (eg Rooney & Pirlo), others drop into a shit league like MLS or China. We bought Solado the moment he hit the wall, he hasn't ever regained his previous form prior to joining us (he's also changed position since he's moved back to Spain). Llorente's purchase was completely understandable at the time, still is even with hindsight, it just hasn't worked out. Could have been worse we could have spunked a load on Morata (Chelsea blew £60m on him, their record signing and has been garbage or how about Batshuayi so many people on here wanted him to be a Tottenham signing).

Some work out some don't, I guess most don't, especially strikers.

Systems though are somewhat important, just look at Hazard, he absolutely isn't a striker, Mourinho played him there too and also got no tune out of the team at the time. He's one of Europes best players.

Llorente had two chances and didn't take them. We've all seen Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son and Lamela miss more in one game. With Dele, Kane and Son out he's our striker. There it's not just a drop in quality for one player (Llorente), It's several, we didn't find him as much as we find Kane, with Lucas playing this, will only be accentuated, as is a major issue is being able to link with those around him.

no doubt, Poch is definitely our best managers to date. In fact, I would regard him as the best manager in the world so far.

The question is, do we deserve him? Our wage and transfer policy basically tied his hand and he has been working wonders with the limited resources we have.

I have no doubts that he can achieve greater success if he is given resources like what Pep or Sarri etc.

It will really pain me to see Poch leaving, especially when we are on the verge of breaking into a superpower in football

no doubt, Poch is definitely our best managers to date. In fact, I would regard him as the best manager in the world so far.
He is only the best manager in the world if we are counting managers who have never won anything in their lives. Love him and all, but yea we deserve him easily. He was with crappy southampton before we gave him the chance to manage much better players.

This is the same train of thought we've seen trotted out for a couple of years now... I don't mean to be rude, but it's been answered before and you don't have to read much to answer it yourself.

Poch understands what is going on at the club. It's well-run, profit-making and sustainable. He's been given funds that are available when profits are up and at the moment, we are hip-deep in on of the most expensive and impressive stadiums in world football. Poch arrived knowing that, he wanted a shot at something bigger and he's over-delivered on expectations, but that doesn't change the financial situation much and certainly not for the £50m average cost of players that would 'improve the team'.

So, no, he's not getting the funds he would ideally get (who the fuck does? If all managers did all the time the prices would be even more insane than they are!).

Poch bought in to a plan. His personal glory is tied to this club. He doesn't want to be 'yet another manager at a massive club', he wants to *create* a massive club.

The plan is to move into new stadium, get more funds thanks to more seats and US marketing and then spend some cash. Right now, it's tight purse strings and making good with what we've got. He knows it, he's doing it and we're solid 3rd right now despite injuries and not buying players. If we continue improving through next season and win a major title, he won't just be a good manager, he'll be a legend. He already is in my eyes, but he won't be in his own until he's delivered this club glory. I don't expect he'll leave until he does.

Do we deserve him? Yes. Does he deserve us? Yes. It's a great match at a great time.

:pochsmirk:

Does Levy deserve Poch after all the other managers he never backed? No.

Do the supporters deserve top four after paying for it for ten years too early? Yes.

As a fan I am glad Levy got his man. But if we lose five games it is Nuno in.

We’re a shit club with shit supporters. Of course we don’t deserve him. We deserve nothing. No ground, no transfers, no money. It’s an absolute fucking joke. Poor bloke, I don’t understand why he’s here at all. Our little tiny club deserves fuck all. We’re an absolute meme.

dailyexpress22-378x478.jpg

Back
Top Bottom