Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think the players weren't trying but he did get some decisions wrong first half. I know Poch likes to test them but he throws big games by refusing to address weaknesses against stronger opposition.

We knew Rashford would split the defence and run fast so we play Vertonghen who has been out?

We knew Martial would give Trips a mare so we stick to him in a four and push him out of position up field to lose the ball?

We knew Pogba would be dangerous so we play Winks as a defensive midfielder to out muscle him?

Second half we did play well. Better than Chelsea and a worse result.

Don't think the players weren't trying but he did get some decisions wrong first half. I know Poch likes to test them but he throws big games by refusing to address weaknesses against stronger opposition.

We knew Rashford would split the defence and run fast so we play Vertonghen who has been out?

We knew Martial would give Trips a mare so we stick to him in a four and push him out of position up field to lose the ball?

We knew Pogba would be dangerous so we play Winks as a defensive midfielder to out muscle him?

Second half we did play well. Better than Chelsea and a worse result.
Winks was our best player and played excellently in that role so what are you talking about?

Winks was our best player and played excellently in that role so what are you talking about?

Err there was no pressure on Pogba the whole match. He got done every time. Talking about putting another player there or playing another formation to nullify the threat of the opposition first. Tottenham play well and lose again. Our best midfielder can't tackle or score but looks good on the eye.

Err there was no pressure on Pogba the whole match. He got done every time. Talking about putting another player there or playing another formation to nullify the threat of the opposition first. Tottenham play well and lose again. Our best midfielder can't tackle or score but looks good on the eye.

I think this was actually something where the early injury to Sissoko really hurt us. I had the impression, he'd been asked to cover Pogba when in defense. Sadly when he went off we didn't bring on a like for like (as there wasn't anyone on the bench) - I was actually hoping for Skipp with the job of sticking to Pogba and not giving him any space, but clearly Poch thought he wasn't quite ready for that yet.

Sets up a team that batters Yanited. Despite having a ton of injuries, playing a load more games, a recent derby semi.

On quality and quantity of chances, no one would have been surprised at 3-1, or a 4-2. At which point the "narrative" would have been Poch the genius/master tactician too big for Spurs and off to United in the Summer. Not his fault that for once Kane/Dele weren't clinical and DDG stopped everything that came his way, and some of those saves he didnt even know where the ball was (Toby for one).

What was the XPG? Can't believe it has anything other than a Spurs win.

Shit happens. England Poland 73; Spurs 2-1 Liverpool 2008.

I think this was actually something where the early injury to Sissoko really hurt us. I had the impression, he'd been asked to cover Pogba when in defense. Sadly when he went off we didn't bring on a like for like (as there wasn't anyone on the bench) - I was actually hoping for Skipp with the job of sticking to Pogba and not giving him any space, but clearly Poch thought he wasn't quite ready for that yet.
Yeah. Sissoko was the one closing down on Pogba and minimizing his room to move and create. We weren't exactly winning the battle in midfield before Moose went off. But we definitely lost it once he did.

Sets up a team that batters Yanited. Despite having a ton of injuries, playing a load more games, a recent derby semi.

On quality and quantity of chances, no one would have been surprised at 3-1, or a 4-2. At which point the "narrative" would have been Poch the genius/master tactician too big for Spurs and off to United in the Summer. Not his fault that for once Kane/Dele weren't clinical and DDG stopped everything that came his way, and some of those saves he didnt even know where the ball was (Toby for one).

What was the XPG? Can't believe it has anything other than a Spurs win.

Shit happens. England Poland 73; Spurs 2-1 Liverpool 2008.
Dwz7avBX4AUFVbW.jpg

Pochettino has taken this team as far as he possibly could.

The squad has reached it's ceilling, which is top 4 and r16 in CL (Basically woolwich 2007-2015).

To take this team to the next level he needs few 100 millions of investments to seriously compete for league and CL.

Yeah, fair point. The goal came right after Sissoko's injury.

That said, with the players that were available, in hindsight:

Gazzaniga
Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
KWP Sissoko Eriksen Rose
Dele Kane Son

Skipp for Sissoko or Winks for Eriksen if ready and on the bench. The idea we need to play possession against top six teams is wrong. We need to counter 3-4-3 like we did against BvB. And the midfield should literally just be defensively strong with runners and only one player at most to link the play with the top three. Sick of seeing us done on the counter.

Again the fact we sold Dembele when he can play a CM role better than anyone on his day is insane for these situations of no midfield cover. I like Sissoko in the midfield three that was played, but it doesn't suit the other two in midfield, which is a system issue. It is nothing against individual players. The midfield has just been picked incorrectly for the good of a result against a top team in my opinion.

It is fine when we scrape a win against Chelsea but it was too obvious then as well. The system makes us weak in midfield and defending is harder. With the system that was played Trips needed more cover, Verts needed more cover, and one of Winks or Eriksen shouldn't even be on the pitch.

This isn't rocket science. I felt we underestimated the threat of Rashford, Martial, and Pogba. It was highlighted before the game. We can't expect to just stand off their main players and let them score and think outplaying in possession will be good enough.

Yes, we played well second half. But this isn't Tranmere. Honestly I felt we got what we deserved. Against Wolves and United. They were set up better than us both times and had players who could punish any mistakes.

Of course a team who plays high up the pitch and gives the ball away will leave themselves exposed. Defensive errors as a team happen too often for it to be unlucky. If we are wanting titles. If we want to be the next Woolwich then fine.

20 years reign.

Suddenly it might be 20 weeks after the weekend's loss snd fallout.

He needs to think quickly or this could becone very bad.

Arguably his biggest challenge in my opinion.
Fucking hell. You're a sunny one. Tell me, when you actually get to fuck the wife, do you complain that you might have to change the sheets after?

This really has been the strangest season in recent memory. How many of us thought it'd end up this way? Would love to see all the posts at the back end of last season when we were all excited about moving into our new stadium in September, making new signings with the reported £150,000,000 'warchest' and here we are in January:

- 0 new signings from summer to winter.
- Starting the season with half of our squad depleted due to the World Cup
- Injuries throughout the season to every single player besides four of them (Davies, KWP, Gazzaniga, Alderweireld)
- Still not in our new stadium
- Hugo Lloris done for drink-driving.
- Somehow qualifying from our Champions League group after failing to win our opening 3 games.
- Sissoko's resurgence.
- Son winning freedom
- Eriksen still not signing a new deal
- Pochettino linked to Man Utd almost every day
- Losing Dembele
- Aurier arrested for domestic abuse
- Still in all the cup competitions

STILL GOT 4 MONTHS LEFT!!

And we're still fucking 3rd.

This really has been the strangest season in recent memory. How many of us thought it'd end up this way? Would love to see all the posts at the back end of last season when we were all excited about moving into our new stadium in September, making new signings with the reported £150,000,000 'warchest' and here we are in January:

- 0 new signings from summer to winter.
- Starting the season with half of our squad depleted due to the World Cup
- Injuries throughout the season to every single player besides four of them (Davies, KWP, Gazzaniga, Alderweireld)
- Still not in our new stadium
- Hugo Lloris done for drink-driving.
- Somehow qualifying from our Champions League group after failing to win our opening 3 games.
- Sissoko's resurgence.
- Son winning freedom
- Eriksen still not signing a new deal
- Pochettino linked to Man Utd almost every day
- Losing Dembele
- Aurier arrested for domestic abuse
- Still in all the cup competitions

STILL GOT 4 MONTHS LEFT!!

And we're still fucking 3rd.
It's a bizarre mix. Makes me wonder if this season is a maelstrom of us sorting our shit out and riding the storm until summer (ideally getting a CL spot despite all the crap that has gone wrong) and absolutely smash next year.

Miraculous how many points we've accrued even though it feels like we've had one arm tied behind our back.

Back
Top Bottom