Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The last two seasons FA cup semi-finals would suggest we are no nearer than the previous other 6 semi-final defeats.

It's the fact that most of the WINNERS of cup competitions tend to be those who are consistently finish in the top 4. Last four FA Cup winners? Chelsea. Woolwich x2. Man Utd. All of whom finished in the top four at the time they won their titles. Of course you get the one off like Wigan (Hello Leicester), but most of the time it's a team who's also hitting a target in the league.

We've never been a team that's constantly finished in the top 4 (let alone the top 3 for potentially a FOURTH season in a row) for decades.

Plus, we haven't been to back to back FA Cup semi finals since 1981.

Neither of these posts dispute my point.

We are fighting in all competitions still.
Lol ok mate let's hope we are still in the hunt for a trophy Friday morning don't know what team we may have out probably Doris the team lady might play, nevertheless we throw our support behind the team despite the transfer window farce.

It's the fact that most of the WINNERS of cup competitions tend to be those who are consistently finish in the top 4. Last four FA Cup winners? Chelsea. Woolwich x2. Man Utd. All of whom finished in the top four at the time they won their titles. Of course you get the one off like Wigan (Hello Leicester), but most of the time it's a team who's also hitting a target in the league.

We've never been a team that's constantly finished in the top 4 (let alone the top 3 for potentially a FOURTH season in a row) for decades.

Plus, we haven't been to back to back FA Cup semi finals since 1981.
Wigan and Portsmouth say hello.

Neither of these posts dispute my point.

We are fighting in all competitions still.

And we were last season and the season before. It doesn’t mean anything at this stage - that’s the point. It’s the outcome that matters. Who cares if we are 7 points better off at this this stage compared to last if we are 5 points behind 2nd and 9 points behind first? Incremental point increases mean nothing - the only measure now is silverware. In reality the league is gone so the test is the FA cup and League Cup. Beating a PL side in a semi final is the first major hurdle we need to get over .

And where are they now?

Ah. Maybe the cup isn't as special as one thought after all. I don't see Wigan or Portsmouth in the Champions League.

Also nice to see that you can read the words "one offs"
What's your point mate so we can't spend money in case we do a Portsmouth these teams proved you can win things outside of the top four unless your spurs.

What's your point mate so we can't spend money in case we do a Portsmouth these teams proved you can win things outside of the top four unless your spurs.

My point still stands.

Those who tend to win things are those who finish in the top four of the top league.

Or is that incorrect?

And I've just imagined Man City winning 4 domestic cups in the last 10 years, Woolwich have won 3 domestic cups in the last 10 years, Chelsea have won 5 domestic cups in the last 10 years and Man Utd have won 4 domestic cups in the last 10 years, Liverpool have won 1 domestic cup.

From 2008/09 to 2018/19, these are the winners of both domestic cups:

League Cup: Man Utd x3, Birmingham, Liverpool, Swansea, Man City x3, Chelsea
FA Cup: Chelsea x4, Man City, Wigan, Woolwich x3, Man Utd

So across two lots of cup competitions - 85% of the winners tend to finish in the top 4 - I like those odds. I would say we are clearly heading in the right direction. Fancy telling me where those odd-one out winners are sitting now in the Premier League?

Under Pochettino, we've got to a semi final every year bar one. Within that time, we've been in the top 4 every year bar one. This year is arguably our strongest year to do so (Though our injury list may prevent that), but I like our odds either way.

Last edited:
Rubbish.

Can you not question on a forum your own club? .

Can you not enjoy and berate at separate times or is it one or the other?

Can we not celebrate the wonder of a last minute goal and yet lambast our players for missing glorious chances?

The essence of support comes in many forms but it does not mean anything other than knowing amongst a crowd of strangers you show your loyalty.

On here we should be able to say our piece amongst people who have the same ultimate goals.

You stated that people should be able to say their piece amongst people that have the same ultimate goals.
Im not certain that everyone who posts on here does share the same ultimate goal of wanting Spurs to be successful. Years ago I met a season ticket Spam fan (was actually a Kiwi that moved over here but committed) who told me he fake posted on other clubs forums. So on this forum there will be times when the highly negative posters will unwittingly be agreeing with the fake posts of dippers, woolwich, chavs, spam etc who want nothing more than to stir up shit.

Unless someone on here can drop the club a couple of hundred million to invest in the team, the only way we can assist the team to perform better is by going to games and being loud. Reading pages of negative shite all week doesn’t encourage such support.

You stated that people should be able to say their piece amongst people that have the same ultimate goals.
Im not certain that everyone who posts on here does share the same ultimate goal of wanting Spurs to be successful. Years ago I met a season ticket Spam fan (was actually a Kiwi that moved over here but committed) who told me he fake posted on other clubs forums. So on this forum there will be times when the highly negative posters will unwittingly be agreeing with the fake posts of dippers, woolwich, chavs, spam etc who want nothing more than to stir up shit.

Unless someone on here can drop the club a couple of hundred million to invest in the team, the only way we can assist the team to perform better is by going to games and being loud. Reading pages of negative shite all week doesn’t encourage such support.
I'm sorry, but this post is a load of absolute fucking bollocks.

A large proportion of our fan base are desperate to see the team succeed and win but are also uncomfortable with spendthrift, profit orientated ethos of the current ownership.

A few even have their doubts about our manager.

Some rant against some of the players they think are shit or out of form

And those opinions are represented by a variety of the members of TFC

It's a fucking forum ffs. Where FANS, supporters, match goers and people for who Spurs represent a massive part of their lives come to give their opinions, and objections, about every aspect of the club they love.

If this messageboard evolved into the self appreciating chat room you desire I'd wager it would shut down within 12 months.

Last edited:

Don Giovanni Don Giovanni

Great so we are on course for a better third place than the third place we achieved last year. The only improvement that matters is us winning silverware - this self congratulating spin needs to stop.

I don't give out disagrees too often but come on man, we have the 6th highest revenue competing in a league that boasts 6 of the worlds 10 richest clubs.

We all want silverware but an element of rationale is required from time to time. Plus we are still in every competition we began the season in so I genuinely don't see the point of this post. Support the boys, they need it at this moment and it'll make a difference instead of this constant glass half full approach I constantly hear from our fans. Get a grip, if you want trophies do yourself a favour and start supporting Man City, if not, start supporting your team!!!

I don't give out disagrees too often but come on man, we have the 6th highest revenue competing in a league that boasts 6 of the worlds 10 richest clubs.

We all want silverware but an element of rationale is required from time to time. Plus we are still in every competition we began the season in so I genuinely don't see the point of this post. Support the boys, they need it at this moment and it'll make a difference instead of this constant glass half full approach I constantly hear from our fans. Get a grip, if you want trophies do yourself a favour and start supporting Man City, if not, start supporting your team!!!

Oh god the revenue argument, again.

Yeah let’s completely ignore the fact that we have/had one of the best teams in the league for the last 4 seasons. Ignore the fact that only City have amassed more points than us in that time. Ignore the fact that vastly inferior United and Woolwich sides have won silverware in that period. It doesn’t matter what players we have does it?We could have the greatest side in history but there still shouldn’t be any expectation or pressure for silverware because 5 other teams have larger revenue streams than us. That’s all that counts - It’s absolutely laughable. Such comments just highlight the issue here - so many supporters simply don’t believe we deserve to be in this position, they can’t move beyond their inferiority complex with the elite clubs. So no I won’t go and support City - I don’t need too because we have a team that should be winning silverware it’s easily good enough too. It’s a shame that you can’t see this or don’t want to believe this.

Last edited:
Oh god the revenue argument, again.

Yeah let’s completely ignore the fact that we have/had one of the best teams in the league for the last 4 seasons. Ignore the fact that only City have amassed more points than us in that time. Ignore the fact that vastly inferior United and Woolwich sides have won silverware in that period. It doesn’t matter what players we have does it?We could have the greatest side in history but there still shouldn’t be any expectation or pressure for silverware because 5 other teams have larger revenue streams than us. That’s all that counts - - It’s absolutely laughable. Such comments just highlight the issue here - so many supports simply don’t believe we deserve to be in this position, they can’t move beyond their inferiority complex with the elite clubs. So no I won’t go and support City - I don’t need too because we have a team that should be winning silverware it’s easily good enough too. It’s a shame that you can’t see this or don’t believe this.

The revenue thing does matter though doesn't it surely? Yes we have a great team but you miss the point that we are building or at least trying to build a new identity at the club. It's not about a quick Cup or hindsight it's about now and the future.

We won the league cup with Berbatov, Keane & Ramos etc only to get off to the worst start to a season in our history the following year. Honestly would you rather taste the success of a cup followed by a travesty such as that or focus on the bigger picture which is ultimately staying with the pack chasi the long term who have vastly different resources than we do?

Of those four seasons we've had to deal with 2 of them at a neutral ground, ridding ourselves of home advantage largely, one at a reduced capacity that saw a whole corner of the place wiped from being there and we've had to do so operating on a different level to others.

A trophy would have been nice but if you honestly value a cup win over the longevity of the Champions League and the impact the rise in our global profile has over a domestic shot in the arm you don't see what modern football is mate.

We have a great team. Could we have done more? Possibly. Am I the happiest I've been as a Spurs fan these past four seasons when we have broken record after record for points, goals, finances etc? 100%

The club is on an organic route that is so hard to crack & we are well on our way. You seem frustrated by something the club has or hasn't done so practically & honestly I'd love to know what that is

Back
Top Bottom