Man City v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR; Saturday 19th February; KO 17:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But, but, but it's anti-football.....

Ask a proper Man City fans, not a glory hunting cockwomble who only wants to see a crushing win every week, what they think of it.
Most will say they sometimes have days where they just don't look like scoring and Saturday was one of them.
Let's be serious here, they scored 2 - one from Lloris dropping another klanger and a penalty from an unfortunate handball. Outside of that, one good save from Lloris from a long range effort was about it for them.

This is interesting

I'm surprised our XG was lower than theirs tbh, that feels wrong.
But:

Big chances created - higher
Big chances missed - higher
Counter attacks - higher
Keeper saves - level
Long balls - slightly higher 54 vs 34 but given the bulk of play was in our half, that's not a huge difference.
Crosses - 42 for City - 4 for Spurs. Tell me we didn't force them to attack that was on purpose.

I said this when Poch was in charge and we were at our best. Just having the lions share of the ball doesn't make for good viewing.

Ask a proper Man City fans, not a glory hunting cockwomble who only wants to see a crushing win every week, what they think of it.
Most will say they sometimes have days where they just don't look like scoring and Saturday was one of them.
Let's be serious here, they scored 2 - one from Lloris dropping another klanger and a penalty from an unfortunate handball. Outside of that, one good save from Lloris from a long range effort was about it for them.

This is interesting

But:

Counter attacks - higher
Keeper saves - level
Long balls - slightly higher 54 vs 34 but given the bulk of play was in our half, that's not a huge difference.
Crosses - 42 for City - 4 for Spurs. Tell me we didn't force them to attack that was on purpose.

I said this when Poch was in charge and we were at our best. Just having the lions share of the ball doesn't make for good viewing.
Their XG is higher bc of the pen. Ours was higher from open play.

Their XG is higher bc of the pen. Ours was higher from open play.
In the end we do want to be at a stage where we arent too far below in possession and keep letting them cross in the box constantly. 42 crosses from very good players is not easy to defend all game. Sooner or later our CBs (or goalie) will end up making a mistake or a lucky bounce could ruin it.

This is interesting

But:

Counter attacks - higher
Keeper saves - level

Their XG was higher because of the pen, you get a 1.00 when you have a penalty.

In the end we do want to be at a stage where we arent too far below in possession and keep letting them cross in the box constantly. 42 crosses from very good players is not easy to defend all game. Sooner or later our CBs (or goalie) will end up making a mistake or a lucky bounce could ruin it.

I'm not the keeper of all stats, but I would guess City, with no no.9 don't score that many goals from crosses. I'd think that's why we constantly pushed them out wide and we've done that before plenty of times.
It might even have been more micromanaged than that. It might have been to make certain individual players go wide and cross because we'd rather they were out there doing that, than trying to push through the middle. Likewise, we might have allowed some to come inside because they can cross.

Us fans haven't got a clue what really happens. We just see a list of players and our basic football brain says "343"
Or if you're one of these negative nonces on here "523"

This season they have attempted 615 crosses with an accuracy of 20%
Accuracy doesn't include how many goals have been scored, but it's definitely not indicative of a goal. IE, they didn't score from 20% of those 615 crosses as they'd have scored 123 goals from crosses alone.

This is quite interesting as there's been talk about Foden getting stick at the boxing, and what gives fans the right to do that.
What gives players the right to be immune from it?
How many times have all of us had gobby cunts mouthing off in our faces over the years from rival fans? When it's totally unprovoked when you're just going about your business?
I don't do it. I don't steam into friends or acquaintances or even strangers with a mouthful of abuse, but that shit has happened to me for decades. I've found myself distancing myself from people I know who are like it.
None of them ever top to think what the person they're going out of their way to say these things to might have going on in their lives and how it may make them feel.

Sing songs at a ground and then leave that rivalry IN the ground.
If Kel Brook and Amir Khan can shake hands and be civilized after fighting this week, perhaps football fans should learn to get on.
...just put me in mind of this...

I think Rocky 4 ended the cold war.
Maybe we need a new Rocky PDQ.

Don't think he's put a Spurs player in all season and then all of sudden - 3. And you could argue Kulu, Romero and Dier were all knocking on that door too, if not everyone.

Kulu included by Crooks - did you mean Bentancur ? But agreed plenty of options including Romero Dier and Hojbjerg as most of players looked good

Back
Top Bottom