Man City v TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR; Saturday 19th February; KO 17:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Carefully edited so it didn't show PEH blanking him at the end I noticed
Conte was doing his post match hugging of the players on the pitch but when he came to PEH, it looked like PEH blanked him and walked off the other way. Conte did not look happy at all.

PEH - soon to be transferred to a concrete flyover support near you.
I don't get the 'outrage'... it looked like PEH genuinely didn't see Conte, that's all...
He already had his back turned didn't he??

Literally nothing to see here!

It was great to get an unexpected 3 points from there, and especially they way it went with us seemingly having surrendered the three points we'd been desperately grinding out, only to go and score another winner in injury time. Few things in football taste as good as a late winner, especially when the opposition have just spunked themselves over what they thought was a late saver.

But let's be honest, it was fundamentally a bus park grind with occasional break out, that we do quite well when Kane and Son are on it (this time gilded with a smidgen of Kulusevski). And it was no more (or less) remarkable than when Nuno (a few months ago) or Mourinho did it.

It was great to get an unexpected 3 points from there, and especially they way it went with us seemingly having surrendered the three points we'd been desperately grinding out, only to go and score another winner in injury time. Few things in football taste as good as a late winner, especially when the opposition have just spunked themselves over what they thought was a late saver.

But let's be honest, it was fundamentally a bus park grind with occasional break out, that we do quite well when Kane and Son are on it (this time gilded with a smidgen of Kulusevski). And it was no more (or less) remarkable than when Nuno (a few months ago) or Mourinho did it.

Thought we played much better and conceded very few good chances...... Less desperate defending too.

Our counter-attacks were way more progressive than just a hoof for Sonny to chase.... More plentiful as well.

Thought we played much better and conceded very few good chances...... Less desperate defending too.

Our counter-attacks were way more progressive than just a hoof for Sonny to chase.... More plentiful as well.

And our playing out from the back under Conte is clear from the other two manager's.

I don't think there was much between Nuno's and Conte's performances TBH. If anything I seem to remember enjoying Nuno's game more overall - it just didn't have the jizmic climax (matron) Conte';s did. We had more of the ball in Nuno's win, also had more attacks and shots, we wasted some great situations in that game - partly because there was no bang on song Kane playing in that game either.

There is no doubt that overall our attacking play has improved under Conte. I think some of that, but not all, is having a far more invested Kane than Nuno got.

I don't think there was much between Nuno's and Conte's performances TBH. If anything I seem to remember enjoying Nuno's game more overall - it just didn't have the jizmic climax (matron) Conte';s did. We had more of the ball in Nuno's win, also had more attacks and shots, we wasted some great situations in that game - partly because there was no bang on song Kane playing in that game either.

There is no doubt that overall our attacking play has improved under Conte. I think some of that, but not all, is having a far more invested Kane than Nuno got.

C'est la vie...... The Kane stuff is just circumstantial. We were comparing the performances.

Possession % means little by itself.

The 5/10-pass moves that were plentiful in this game weren't there in the other games.

This was nowhere near as backs-to-the-wall as either of the other 2 games.

Both their goals were kind.

We had the ball in the net 4 times.

C'est la vie...... The Kane stuff is just circumstantial. We were comparing the performances.

But Kane was pivotal to that performance Saturday. Nuno didn’t have Kane for his at all, let alone Kane in that type of form. If Kane isn’t playing in that game Saturday I very much doubt we score those three goals.

Possession % means little by itself.

But the possession didn’t mean nothing when we used it to prevent City having it under Nuno, helping us to win.

The 5/10-pass moves that were plentiful in this game weren't there in the other games.

This is nonsense - certainly in terms of the Nuno game. Factually, categorically, we passed the ball better in that Nuno game.

This was nowhere near as backs-to-the-wall as either of the other 2 games.

Both their goals were kind.

We had the ball in the net 4 times.

I disagree, I think this was much more backs to the wall than the Nuno game.

Just scoring more goals doesn’t make what happened the rest of the time less backs to the wall.

And none of this was really my point. My point wasn’t to say Nuno and Mourinho are as good as Conte because they’ve all beaten City.

My point was that bus parking a city win is not unique in and of itself, they are tactics used by everyone in the PL, and especially in the context of us, as we have done it previously.

I’ll be more impressed when we are not totally insipid against an out of form Chelsea, and pretty inept against the likes of Southampton and Wolves at home.

I think Conte is a coach. I think he has definitely improved facets of our play - particularly offensively, but I think he’s not been great the last month or so and a bus park win over City doesn’t / shouldn’t distract from that.

And I do think that offensive up turn has greatly benefited from a galvanised Kane, because let’s face it, Son and the other bumblers have been pretty hit and miss all season.

IMO, offensively, we are still very much the Harry Kane team. We seem to need him writing the theme tune, playing the theme tune and singing it.

But Kane was pivotal to that performance Saturday. Nuno didn’t have Kane for his at all, let alone Kane in that type of form. If Kane isn’t playing in that game Saturday I very much doubt we score those three goals.

So? You said the Jose & Nuno performances just as good.......

But the possession didn’t mean nothing when we used it to prevent City having it under Nuno, helping us to win.

I said..... "Possession % means little by itself".

Not really sure where your point begins here.......

This is nonsense - certainly in terms of the Nuno game. Factually, categorically, we passed the ball better in that Nuno game.

It's not nonsense at all.... Look at the footballing quality of our attacks on Saturday....... Slick multi-pass moves..... Another level.

Stat-crunching of total passes in the game not required.

I disagree, I think this was much more backs to the wall than the Nuno game.

Agree to disagree then innit.

Just scoring more goals doesn’t make what happened the rest of the time less backs to the wall.

I didn't say it was measured by the scoreline..... Just that between the 4 times we found the net and the other chances we created this was the most dangerous of the 3 games.

Just felt much more comfortable over the full 90m.

And none of this was really my point. My point wasn’t to say Nuno and Mourinho are as good as Conte because they’ve all beaten City.

Eh?

The performances were being compared between the 3 victories YOU cited. Not sure what else you think is or isn't going on here tbh. You compared the 3 games; I disagree with your synopsis.

I think bus-conductor bus-conductor has a good point. We're generally pretty good at playing against City because we're a competent defensive team when we sit deep, and our biggest threat is pretty much always in quick transitions anyway. I do think we saw elements that weren't there under Nuno or Jose, but the general game-plan was one we've used multiple times against them successfully.

And it's absolutely true that it all centred around a 10/10 performance from Kane. We were really clinical with the chances we got, he was absolutely silly and the consistency of his passes was next level, and it got us the win. A brilliant day but not one which I look at and can say we've come a long way. It may well be the platform for that.

This cockwomble thinks the winner should have been ruled out because "kulusevski looked offside"

I'm sure as shit they did check it at the time
But he thinks it "looked offside" so should have been disallowed.
Bet his bumchum is Pawson

Back
Top Bottom