Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Barkley signed for Chelsea for silly wages that put him equal to Dele so not a good deal for me. Grealish they wouldn't accept a bid so what could we do (I'd have taken Grealish and still stand by what I said in the summer that he'd have added something) & Shelvey? I ain't too sure if he has the kind of head we need when the biggest issue at the club at the moment are individual mistakes.

Jorginho turned down Man City for Chelsea, do you honestly believe Barkley would have done the same if it was a shoutout between us and the Chavs?

Out of curiosity what few would you have paid for Grealish, seeing as he got 3 or so assists as a Championship player last season? The rumoured £25m was more than fair

Those three were the first to come to me. We were linked with innumerable other midfielders last summer - some we'd heard about and some we hadn't. Any/all of them could have re-inforced the squad (NOTE, not necessarily the first team)

If we'd got them in as squad players it MAY have provided us with a bit more variety/flexibility in terms of selection -something that we've desperately needed since Christmas.

We've had Vertonghen playing left wing back (OK he was great in that game), Davies as a makeshift central defender, Skipp as as an attacking left-sided midfielder (awful versus Leicester), Sissoko as the defensive screen (today) and Rose as a pretend midfielder. Add to that our inability to keep Winks and Dier fit and Wanyama being too much of a risk.

Playing players out of position is a recipe for disaster (they've spent their whole career playing in a certain way and then are asked to fill another berth).

This is all of our making because we didn't re-inforce last summer.

Yep but the fact everyone thinks he’s world class just shows what complete bullshit it is that we couldn’t have strengthened in January

Well no not really. If we didn't sign anyone in the summer, why would we in January. There's nothing we knew in January that we didn't know in the summer. Our league position in Jan shouldn't really affect us. However good it looked it's a long season. Vdv is world class. You may be the only one that thinks otherwise. I don't see us spending 80m on one player!

No because I can go back three years and you’ll find me slagging off Poch for not integrating the likes of Janssen.
Do you read the shite you post? Janssen? fucking Janssen!

Dembele wasn’t a fringe player and didn’t need replacing in August. He was one of our best players in the first half of the season, then got injured and was sold.
I rated Dembele in August as one of our best players.
Why would I want him replaced?
Because he (reportedly) came to the conclusion he couldn't physically deal witht he PL anymore and was looking for a last payday. funny because that would mean Dembele thought he would get injured and thought he should be moved on, in fact did get injured, but yet you are still defending the opposite position. I didn't want to see him go either but knew that another player needed to come into the club to take the minutes.

The last bit of your post was nonsensical.
Funny but why did I sense you wouldn't take the plain-spoken wisdom in there. It's a wonder.

It doesn’t make sense because it’s based on your narcissistic view that your opinion is a fact.
My, and many others judging by this thread, opinion was that we need MF reinforcement. You disagreed. the intervening evidence suggest my, and many others, opinion was indeed found to be right. No, our opinion was not 'fact' it was opinion. Was it correct? yes, yes it was.

Nobody argues an opinion they think is wrong, so to someone who disagrees with you, I guess you are simply the asshole in your shite anecdote.
Many do it all the time. Some people utilize this tactic to illustrate to foolish people that the logic they have employed to formulate a position is in fact flawed when challenged or extended. They have a name for this but it escapes me? Can you come up with it?

But don't worry, it doesn't escape me that you missed the point of the anecdote. Your tortured process to call me an asshole is only more tragic. Do better Sammy.

The summer window was just fine. Our position at Christmas proves that.

What does our current position prove?

What does 1 point from 15 in March prove?

Do you honestly believe this drivel that the squad was strong enough:

a) last summer
b) at Christmas after Dembele went
c) now with our string of injuries

Clearly you are right and the rest of the world is wrong?

This was our bench today:
Son
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Davies
Skipp

Is this indicative of a strong squad?

This was Liverpool's bench
Fabinho
Lovren
Keita
Lallana
Mignolet
Shaqiri
Origi

Couldn’t get watch live but just finished. I thought we played well, especially in the 2nd half.
Individual mistakes cost us again and worried about Lloris, that was awful.

Onwards to Wednesday.

You see making 1 or 2 changes as being addressing it and I do not. I see it as bandaids or plaster over a bullet hole or whatever it is yall saw over in Brexitvilleshire. Not addressing backups, upgrades or competition is neglect for me, especially in Dembele's case. We could possibly still have him for the big games if he wasn't runout every chance Poch felt nervy.

Vic signed 2016/17. I highlighted the activity during the 3 seasons (inclusive) since.

In the prior 18 months to that, Poch had shipped out prob 5 or 6 (Livermore, Mason, Bentaleb, Capoue, Stambouli, Paulinho... ). Point being there's been a large turnover of CMs in the last 5 years.

....Yet none of that qualifies as tending to the MF in any capacity you're prepared to dignify? ...It's far more reasonable to support the accusation of "neglect"?

Replace Dembele in summer '18 with Dembele 2.0, suffer a few less injuries this season and we're not having this conversation today.

Most people wanted to strengthen the squad last summer.
Is it still Trumpian because you agree now
You're embarrassing yourself further and still trying to throw me off the scent. Your statement was

Last summer most people would have been happy with Anthony Martial and Sessengon.
which is not the same at 'most people wanted to strengthen the squad last summer'. And I don't agree with you. I make it a habit of not agreeing with foolish things and second guessing anything that is defended by foolish people. It's just SOP nothing to be offended by.

I didn’t think we had a problem last summer.
It’s about time you realised that I am arguing from my point of view, not from yours.
We know this because if you were arguing from my point of view, and on this matter it coincides with many in this thread, you would be right. And that is we should have addressed the MF in the summer.

The summer window was just fine. Our position at Christmas proves that.
Again, how many games in a season. It 'proves' nothing and perhaps you need to get acquainted with the definition of 'proves' as well. That is unless you are suggesting the Levy and Poch sat down and planned no transfers as a way to be 3rd(?) at Christmas and who gives a shit in May.

Last edited:
Today is not the time to melt for me. We competed very well in the second half and should have got at least a point. Burnley and Saints were unacceptable. We only needed to turn up and give 80% and we’d have an extra 4-6 points. I’m still angry about those results. But today was very promising. It has to be 6/7 wins now. I think it will be. COYS.
Well said let's be positive COYS

Fuckin' whingers out in force .... even the rabid media have all written articles grudgingly admitting Spurs were clearly the better side. We played well as indeed we have nearly all season, the fact we didn't score more has nothing to do with back-ups .... Kane, Son, Dele, Moura. Lamela, Llorente how many back ups would make a difference?

Hugo fecked up ... the dippers got lucky ... we move on

The loss is on fucking Sissoko, failing to even hit the target 1v1 from 10 yards is fucking disgraceful.
Ah now I see. Nothing to do with Hugo dropping the ball, Eriksen having a mare of a game (and missing with as easy a chance), Trippier not having a great game and a lot of bad luck? OK, it's all down to the one thing that Sissoko got wrong. I do agree with you that he should have scored but come on!

The loss is on fucking Sissoko, failing to even hit the target 1v1 from 10 yards is fucking disgraceful.

It is disgraceful and my initial reaction was literally "for fucks sake just sell him now."

But let's be realistic that the loss wasn't on him. Eriksen's blocked shot by Robertson was pathetic as well. All he had to do was move the ball slightly to the left and had a free shot on goal. Moura was 10 yards out from goal and instead of shooting decided to take another touch and fucked up his chance, and there were others as well.

Sissoko was just a single poor performer out of a field of poor performers for over 60 minutes. At one point in time we turned into a team that was lethal if you gave us even just a small amount of space. We've turned toothless in the past few games. It's frustrating because I thought the last 30 minutes could be a defining time for the team.

In the prior 18 months to that, Poch had shipped out prob 5 or 6 (Livermore, Mason, Bentaleb, Capoue, Stambouli, Paulinho... ). Point being there's been a large turnover of CMs in the last 5 years.
Seriously? That's not turnover my friend that's player dumping. Where's the 6 players to replace them in the MF? And we aren't talking 5 years, that was someone else's point. I said it was less and agreed with you that there was change in 5 years but since Vic showed up there hasn't been and there has needed to be. And everything positive from the MF in that time has been down to Dembele. there MF has been good to great against all opponents when he was there irrespective of who his partner was. He is now not there and it is shit, at all times.

....Yet none of that qualifies as tending to the MF in any capacity you're prepared to dignify? ...It's far more reasonable to support the accusation of "neglect"?
All players OUT and no players IN. Yes, that is neglect. Is spending all your money without some type of gainful employment tending to your financial health? Is shipping players out and not making any signings tending to your clubs health? C'mon man you're making it easy for me.

Replace Dembele in summer '18 with Dembele 2.0, suffer a few less injuries this season and we're not having this conversation today.
sammyspurs sammyspurs thinks you are talking rubbish here as he didn't need replacing. But your point is salient. But extending your point we should have been doing this all along, upgrading, building for the future with a player like NDombele (8M) but from Amiens or Bissouma (12M) from Lille 2,3,4 years ago when they were cheap but with promise. Instead we wait for the time when we must make a transfer and negotiate from a position of weakness and bitching about prices.

Don't know if I crossed the poncey threshold in that one but the effort was there.

Last edited:
Fuckin' whingers out in force .... even the rabid media have all written articles grudgingly admitting Spurs were clearly the better side. We played well as indeed we have nearly all season, the fact we didn't score more has nothing to do with back-ups .... Kane, Son, Dele, Moura. Lamela, Llorente how many back ups would make a difference?

Hugo fecked up ... the dippers got lucky ... we move on

Does anyone know how many errors Hugo has made this season & last season at all? I saw a stat on SkySports saying he's made 8 errors this year but surely that can't be right

People need to calm the fuck down, and this whole transfer business argument is depressing and needs to end because “we had no money” to buy decent players, that statement was litterly echoed by Pochettino in his interview before the Liverpool game....sure, there might have been a few quid kicking around last summer but what was it going to buy us? Another Sissoko, Aurier, Trippier, Lamela, Llorente type player? These are the type of players we need to stop buying, and thank fuck we did stop buying them last summer, they suck up wages for absolutely no reason other than having a body in a shirt and they only restrict us long term, give a youth player a chance over any future 3rd rate player on 50,60,70,80 grand a week is what I say.......

If we fall out of the top 4 this season it won’t be because we didn’t sign any bargain basement players in our budget range, it will be because the players we already have haven't had the stomach to fight for the title, they caved, and the free fall has begun (although they did try hard today) So now they have 7 games left to show some stomach to battle it out with the 3 other clubs for two spots...it’s on the players, not Pochettino or the board.

Honest opinion, everything is falling at Solskjaers feet at the minute (United are in for a rude awaking next season) DT is managing Woolwich from social media ( well he’s taking the credit anyway) and Chelsea are just so unpredictable.....we are not getting the rub of the green that’s for sure, and as much as we try, I feel it won’t be enough, not solely through lack of effort and quality on our part but just due to the breaks the others are getting when it counts.....I think 5th place looks very likely now!

Ah now I see. Nothing to do with Hugo dropping the ball, Eriksen having a mare of a game (and missing with as easy a chance), Trippier not having a great game and a lot of bad luck? OK, it's all down to the one thing that Sissoko got wrong. I do agree with you that he should have scored but come on!
It is disgraceful and my initial reaction was literally "for fucks sake just sell him now."

But let's be realistic that the loss wasn't on him. Eriksen's blocked shot by Robertson was pathetic as well. All he had to do was move the ball slightly to the left and had a free shot on goal. Moura was 10 yards out from goal and instead of shooting decided to take another touch and fucked up his chance, and there were others as well.

Sissoko was just a single poor performer out of a field of poor performers for over 60 minutes. At one point in time we turned into a team that was lethal if you gave us even just a small amount of space. We've turned toothless in the past few games. It's frustrating because I thought the last 30 minutes could be a defining time for the team.
He literally had to hit the target ffs, the fact that players of his calibre are still getting games in this team shows how pathetic our recent transfer windows have been.

We go away to Anfield, allow just three shots on goal in 90 minutes, and yet we can't defend? some people can see failings where they just don't exist ....

Hugo cost us plain and simple, can see him being let go or becoming the number two, great keeper and no doubt won us more points than he's cost us, but when mistakes lose matches you can't keep ignoring them.

Not gonna blame LLoris for not catching the header, I'm not even sure how that would have been possible given his position, but on the rebound off Toby, he not only waves over the ball but also impedes Toby from clearing it. It's an easy stop if he keeps his hand on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom