Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm gonna dream that Sissoko chance.
We actually didn't shit ourselves. We played so much better in 2nd half, just like last year. Kane missed the pen last year for 2-1 lead, now Sissoko missed a sitter Can't catch a break at Anfield.

Maybe not dishonest as oppposed to what most thought would be the likely outcome.

But we make mistake after mistake after mistake. Or mids chance after chance after chance.

Look it's 4 years. 3rd, 2nd, 3rd.

We have the experience but something does not click.
Fair enough, but my point was more along the lines of fitting an agenda into the match discussion, which seems unreasonable in certain cases. If you argue we tighten up and blow it because of XYZ, that’s at least logical based on a few key moments. If you say this is a culmination of fatigue and injuries because we didn’t reinforce, again, I think that’s a fair point to make.

But if you say we’re total shit and we played awful today and are going to be mid table next season and have no chance at top 4, then people are just being obtuse for the sake of it, the very same people that said we were going to get smashed and have no chance.

We played well, the best we have since the first leg against Dortmund, maybe even before that. We still control finishing in the top 4 and are still favorites to do so. We’ve done remarkably well over the past two years considering we’ve played at Wembley, we’re finally moving into the new ground. Many of our best players are signed for long term deals. Our manager, who is widely recognized as having done a great job given the resources these past 5 years, is also here for the long haul. That all still matters, even if we lost in the most frustrating way possible against a team 18 points above us.

We looked shite in the first half and he persists with Hugo, Trippier and Eriksen
That’s down to Poch
But I’ve explained why I think the summer window was fine.
Here’s why, yet again.

Because at the time, we had a fit selection of Dembele, Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Wanyama

That means that Eriksen and Dele wouldn’t here been dropped so deep

Nobody could predict injuries to every single one of the players I’ve just named.
Plus every single player I didnt name.

Despite the injuries growing AFTER the summer window shut, by the turn of the year we were still:

In all 4 competitions

In a position where beating Wolves would have put us 2pts behind Liverpool

We had our highest amount of points for the first half of a season in the history of the club

So while YOU think I was wrong about the summer window, I do not believe I was wrong.
Once more, the reasons I believe my views were vindicated are outlined above.

Since January, we have regressed.

I have always maintained, right back in the Jan window that Dembele had t be replaced and a striker to cover Kane and Son was a must.

That has zero bearing on the summer window because the situations were different. As backed up by the table up to Jan, and from Jan.

I’m pretty sure you fully understand this

It is near impossible to do any business in January. Whilst I see where you're coming from and believe we had enough to have better form then we currently have, a better and more competitive squad would allow us to keep going strong in the latter part of the season and have stayed in the one of the domestic cups. All the cup games around league committments have not helped and injuries always occur and that's the whole point of planning and having cover. Also many players are comfortable and can turn up, play shit and will be picked again. Lloris, eriksen etc. Dembele faded last season. Should have been sold in the summer and replaced in the SUMMER. Wanyama too.

As soon as the ball went in I shut it off, just couldn't fucking stand it but have had a couple of hours to decompress.

The game can be sofucking cruel. It's been a long time that I have felt this shitty after a loss. If that ball wouldn't have gone in we would have been feeling pretty good most likely, and looking like we may get a little momentum going into the final stretch. We had chances, plenty near the end and squandered them.

They didn't deserve it, plain and simple, but we can't let the last 30 minutes whitewash the first 60. On the other hand we did see a little character amd drive towards the end. It's just a shame that we obviously need a little confidence and completely whiffed at our chance to get ourselves back on track.

The table at New Years proves you utterly wrong though
Remind us how many games are in a season? I seem to be thinking it's 19 but for some reason I feel I'm wrong. Actually I feel really wrong which isn't really a big deal because I'm secure in myself and my intellect so being wrong doesn't chip away at that. Is it 19 and I'm right? I hope to all that holy it isn't 20 because then I would just have to admit I was wrong but only by a game so no big deal.

It would be something if it was like double of 19 because then i would be really wrong. but still no big deal unless I was basing predictions and conclusions on only 19 games. But even then it would still just be a football season and I would still be a decent guy. So no harm done...unless I had a fragile ego and was completely insecure in myself.

Remind us how many games are in a season? I seem to be thinking it's 19 but for some reason I feel I'm wrong. Actually I feel really wrong which isn't really a big deal because I'm secure in myself and my intellect so being wrong doesn't chip away at that. Is it 19 and I'm right? I hope to all that holy it isn't 20 because then I would just have to admit I was wrong but only by a game so no big deal.

It would be something if it was like double of 19 because then i would be really wrong. but still no big deal unless I was basing predictions and conclusions on only 19 games. But even then it would still just be a football season and I would still be a decent guy. So no harm done...unless I had a fragile ego and was completely insecure in myself.
That’s what the January window is for and why it should have been used

Is this confusing people?
Seriously?

If Lloris makes a simple catch this is a draw. Let’s not make this out as more than that.

Burnley, Chelsea, Woolwich and Southampton we were poor for long stretches and looked tactically bereft of ideas. Today that was not the case. We more or less dominated the entire second half and more than held our own for long stretches of the first.

Everyone chalked this off a loss before the game, so some of the reactions here seem a bit dishonest.

Its the games where you say we were poor in stretches that has killed us. Away to Chelsea, Liverpool maybe mistakes lost us the game whilst we were playing well however it seems we only raise our game and are motivated against those kinds of top teams. If we have it as much in other games then we'd have surely got more from it. Mistakes don't help but lack of effort no matter who you play is unacceptable.

I always ask this when people say about signings. Realistically who would you have signed talent wise to make us better? The quality levels are fine, the lapses in concentration or what's going on in their heads at the moment unfortunately isn't
I've named three we were linked with; Barclay, Grealish and Shelvey. There were numerous others that could have done better job than our midfield today.

Really - Sissoko screening the defence and Rose cavorting around midfield!

That’s what the January window is for and why it should have been used

Is this confusing people?
Seriously?

No. But what is confusing is why anyone expects significant business in January if we didn't do any in the summer. Less chance of signing who you want if you couldn't get them 6 months earlier!!

Whenever we have a bad game the same old line is dragged out “look at where we were in the 80’s and 90’s” very selective. If you’re gunna go back 30 odd years when football and the WORLD was vastly different, why not go back another 20 years when we won league title, FA cups, eufa cups. Why dont we use 60,70s as a marker for success instead of 80’s and 90’s?? Shit atleast we won trophies in the 80’s and 90’s.

In terms of trophies Levys reign must be the worst in the history of the club, utter failure.

Its the games where you say we were poor in stretches that has killed us. Away to Chelsea, Liverpool maybe mistakes lost us the game whilst we were playing well however it seems we only raise our game and are motivated against those kinds of top teams. If we have it as much in other games then we'd have surely got more from it. Mistakes don't help but lack of effort no matter who you play is unacceptable.
I don’t think anyone is making excuses for that Burnley through Southampton stretch of matches. But today was quite a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom