Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only when Dembele played. Remember the Liverpool game where we were 'so good'? It was longball OVER the MF. Dembele destroyed other MF players. It was credit to him and no one else. You are trying to generalize it to the whole MF.

Dier hasn't been heralded by our fans and pundits alike?
Vic wasn't getting major plaudits from us prior to his injury?
Winks wasn't embraced, fawned over by some and seen as a talent; again not just by our fans...?
You'd argue we can't/haven't put in dominant MF performances without Dembele on the pitch?

I re-emphasise: "GENERAL CONSENSUS".

I can't be arsed getting into a tit-for tat over your or my individual opinions about every players who's played CM over the last 5 years. It's not warranted considering the original contradiction I made.

(The Liverpool part left me shrugging my shoulders....)

Yes, we bought Vic but many thought we still needed new MF players. Perhaps the idea of recruiting players from a position of strength eludes you but to some that is the way you build a squad. And who was Vic's competition? And who was Dembele's? Surely, you see that bringing quality players for those positions would be addressing and improving the MF, no?

Some keenly astute observers felt that Dembele could be 'improved' upon by getting a more rounded MF that would bring some passing distribution in along with similar ball retention qualities. Many even called for someone like Kongdogbia in the January window. Perhaps an alternative to him would have extending his time with us.

Others use 'meh' in attempting to be haughtily and pitifully dismissive of arguments they can't refute while calling anything they disagree with 'revisionist bollocks' without considering alternative approaches that they are unable to conjure.

I know which camp I was in. Oh, and I never talk bollocks. If it comes out of my mouth it has been considered...unless I'm just trying to goad bus-conductor bus-conductor

HOWEVER: Since Vic was purchased, we'd promoted Winks, bought Sissoko and have seemingly had higher hopes for a couple of the other academy products too (Onomah/Skipp)...

5 senior CMs + youth for 2 CM slots + the potential to play Dele or CE in there if experimenting (we'd not been playing 3CMs until this year).

- Are we being taught a lesson having not replaced Dembele in this last year? Yup.
- Should we have given up the ghost on Wanyama this past summer? Seemingly so.

.....But this isn't 5 OR even 3 years of neglect.

(p.s. I ignored the parts where you come off like a ponce..... You know the bits. ;) )

Last edited:
You are still pretending you don’t get it

I’ll make it easy for you:

Dembele didn’t need replacing in August because he was still a Spurs player.
Ok Sammy. I get it. I honestly do. And one thing I like to do when a bit of logic is so obviously sturdy is extend it to see if it still holds. So since Dembele was a Spurs player in August he didn't need replacing (we will forget about the fact that he was trying to move, improving on him etc). So by your logic Janssen doesn't need replacing and since all the players on Spurs are in fact currently Spurs players then they don't need replacing? I'm going to give you credit and assume you are playing a higher level semantic game here played on the literal definition of replace instead of what everyone and their dog is taking from the word.

I'm sure I got something wrong here as has everyone else other than you on this point. So make it easy for me again and explain to me because I'm a 'stupid' and difficult concepts like this are hard for me.

Here's a little bit of wisdom from Raylan givens: "if you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole". It should be abundantly clear what the point is here but I will clarify. In situations where you find that you are 'right' and everyone else is 'wrong' take a humble second to consider the question of "Am I or was I wrong?". Because in this instance you were wrong and are continuing to be. And pretty soon you are going to be the 'asshole' and no one wants to be an asshole.

Yep but the fact everyone thinks he’s world class just shows what complete bullshit it is that we couldn’t have strengthened in January
In theory it was possible to strengthen in January. But for this club? Two big issues I see, sammy: 1. we're short of money; 2. Poch doen't seem to be much good at player identification.

I think van Dijk is top drawer. Pains me to say it.

We're on a run of thats yielded 1 point from 15. No wins in 5 matches.
It's becoming comparable to the 2 points from 8 games shitshow after this very board you laud so much sold Berbatov and Keane and gave us Frazer Campbell.

At what point do you pull your head out your arse and accept they acted in a cowardly, shameful way last summer by refusing to invest a penny in the team, then shat on the team again by actually weakening it further in January despite the heroics of Poch and the boys up to that point.

If we failed to win another game all season I'm convinced you'd still be praising the owners and urging perspective
Remember though. Sam said we didn’t need signings in the summer. Didn’t like being compared to “4th place Liverpool”. 4th place now being the spot we’ll be lucky to hold onto by seasons end.

The terrifying thing is if Levy feels too confident about Poch's job with the Real Madrid, United, and PSG gigs not having vacancies to be filled this summer.

He absolutely must not take him for granted when it comes to transfer outlay.
Meh, I think people are making way too much of a connection between these things.

....These ones?

I think you missed the point...

giphy.gif

Ok Sammy. I get it. I honestly do. And one thing I like to do when a bit of logic is so obviously sturdy is extend it to see if it still holds. So since Dembele was a Spurs player in August he didn't need replacing (we will forget about the fact that he was trying to move, improving on him etc). So by your logic Janssen doesn't need replacing and since all the players on Spurs are in fact currently Spurs players then they don't need replacing? I'm going to give you credit and assume you are playing a higher level semantic game here played on the literal definition of replace instead of what everyone and their dog is taking from the word.

I'm sure I got something wrong here as has everyone else other than you on this point. So make it easy for me again and explain to me because I'm a 'stupid' and difficult concepts like this are hard for me.

Here's a little bit of wisdom from Raylan givens: "if you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole". It should be abundantly clear what the point is here but I will clarify. In situations where you find that you are 'right' and everyone else is 'wrong' take a humble second to consider the question of "Am I or was I wrong?". Because in this instance you were wrong and are continuing to be. And pretty soon you are going to be the 'asshole' and no one wants to be an asshole.
No because I can go back three years and you’ll find me slagging off Poch for not integrating the likes of Janssen.

Said it then and said it now, that the unused fringe players should be integrated or sold.

Dembele wasn’t a fringe player and didn’t need replacing in August. He was one of our best players in the first half of the season, then got injured and was sold.
I rated Dembele in August as one of our best players.
Why would I want him replaced?

The last bit of your post was nonsensical.
It doesn’t make sense because it’s based on your narcissistic view that your opinion is a fact.
I don’t believe I’m wrong any more than you believe you are wrong.
Nobody argues an opinion they think is wrong, so to someone who disagrees with you, I guess you are simply the asshole in your shite anecdote.

Last summer most people would have been happy with Anthony Martial and Sessengon.
Nope, wanted and want neither. And utilizing the Trumpian argument of what 'most people' would want is a fool's game. Most people are stupid and I could care less about what they want. 'Most people' that voted, voted for Brexit and Trump. How's that working out?

I’m not really sure they would help replace Dembele
first off, and because I 'get it', Dembele didn't need replacing because he was a Spurs' player. See what I did there?

but if you meant those two addressing the MF problem I don't see what one has to do with another. there are 11 positions on the field and 25 for the squad. Are you suggesting that in your ever-expanding infinite wisdom that since we have a problem at one position that should preclude us from recruiting in others? Please explain it to me so I 'get' this point too.

The world's full of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom