Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But we didn’t need to strengthen our midfield last summer because Demele, Dier and Wanyama were fit.
Perhaps I can take this time to acquaint you with the definition of "Strengthen". Here it is:

verb (used with object)
to make stronger; give strength to.
Phonetics . to change (a speech sound) to an articulationrequiring more effort, as from fricative to stop or nongeminateto geminate.
verb (used without object)
to gain strength; grow stronger.

Shit def because use use of the 'root' so here are some synonyms: bolster, reinforce, intensify, reinvigorate, improve, enhance

I’m not sure why you have tried to merge the situation we are in now, to the one we was in last August.
Seriously?

If Wanyama, Dembele and Dier had stayed fit and in form you wouldn’t be talking about new CMs.
Seriously?

Or do you think we needed cover for our first three options and should have predicted injuries to all three last summer?
I mean, who wastes time in predicting injury to defensive MFs. Never happens and our lot is hardier than most, right?

Fixed your post for you. totally supported Dier's trial at CDM and thought he did well in his first year. Did not progress at all in his second and got the hump and a dalliance with ManU. Now he should be nowhere near our MF. Always saw Dele's deficiencies as a player and have the slings and arrows to show it. Winks is good and promising, and I like him, but should never be getting the gametime he gets because we should have brought players in and his body apparently can't take it yet.

Meh.

Perhaps you didnt notice Dier spent the bulk of the following year at CB? :roll:

Regardless, i was referring to a general concensus.

There's always gonna be cunts that fancy themselves as scouts or are simply contrary for the fuck of it, but our 'rise' coincides with us being widely lauded as destroying teams in CM.... As recently as last season too.

It may not have been neglected for 5 years since the personnel has changed but it has been for the last 3.

3 years ago we bought Vic and had peak Dembele.

Revisionist bollocks.

Toby's only error was the own goal which really comes down to Hugo. Toby stopped many long ball breaks and was incredible.

Eriksen was poor for the most part, but he also was in the right place at the right time for our goal. He also showed far more fight for the ball than he has recently

I thought Toby did ok but it was telling when he was running back to goal in the second half with time and he chose to put the ball into touch rather than risk the back pass to Hugo

If you haven’t got any confidence in your keeper it runs through the whole side as it did with the Dippers today but when he’s also your captain??

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.
The board is to blame. Squad is stale and has been all season. We haven’t played well bar the Utd game last year. Selling Dembele. Joke.

I’d sell Eriksen - replaceable

Total joke Levy

VVD is world class, top of his game right now. Allison is solid, what you want your keeper to be. Those are two positions Klopp has improved with those signings. They cost a lot but they are doing their jobs

Poch needs to address our weaknesses in midfield and the full backs. He needs to identify the right players and bring them in. How much money he is given is another matter though

Allison is solid??????

He was a lucky boy

Played an even game I thought. They aren’t better than us. Unfortunately bad handling by Hugo let us down. Not sure I’m ready for an all out competition between him and Gazzaniga yet, but I’m close.

Is that the 3rd game he cost us points this year?

But I’ve explained why I think the summer window was fine.
Here’s why, yet again.

Because at the time, we had a fit selection of Dembele, Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Wanyama

That means that Eriksen and Dele wouldn’t here been dropped so deep

Nobody could predict injuries to every single one of the players I’ve just named.
Plus every single player I didnt name.

Despite the injuries growing AFTER the summer window shut, by the turn of the year we were still:

In all 4 competitions

In a position where beating Wolves would have put us 2pts behind Liverpool

We had our highest amount of points for the first half of a season in the history of the club

So while YOU think I was wrong about the summer window, I do not believe I was wrong.
Once more, the reasons I believe my views were vindicated are outlined above.

Since January, we have regressed.

I have always maintained, right back in the Jan window that Dembele had t be replaced and a striker to cover Kane and Son was a must.

That has zero bearing on the summer window because the situations were different. As backed up by the table up to Jan, and from Jan.

I’m pretty sure you fully understand this
Yet you were wrong, but can't admit it, I can, happily! Look at me, what do I know!

Sammy, EVERYONE knows you called it wrong, there's absolutely zero shame in that. I thought we should have signed Saido Berahino back in the day, go me!

Why can't you ever hold your hands up and say whoops?

Selling Dembele and not replacing him was not ok. But that happened in January, not August.

We knew last summer that his contract was up and had a pretty good idea that his body couldn't stand up to a full PL season.

Criminal not signing a replacement. Those effects have been felt since Christmas. I would have killed for Barclay/Grealish/Shelvey etc etc. to start today.

Still, all water under the bridge. We need to prepare for Wednesday.

Because at the time, we had a fit selection of Dembele, Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Wanyama

That means that Eriksen and Dele wouldn’t here been dropped so deep

Nobody could predict injuries to every single one of the players I’ve just named.
Plus every single player I
Sammy you so wrong , we needed upgrading in midfield as many were fading assets , not good enough or not ready ,it was bloody obvious .
It was clear as daylight old cock .

Four people disageed with me for calling him out, Jesus wept. He's more inept before goal than Gary Docherty. Neville was absolutely right, he made the pass to Sonny difficult because he knew that Sissoko was an absolute donkey when shooting. It beggars belief how people defend him going forward, not a single one of you thought he would score

Edit: Sorry, I haven't got to grips with the new layout. Only ony one sad fuck disagreed, probably Moussa's brother

It was me!!

Enough time to reflect here, I said before the game the gloves were coming off for criticism if 100% effort wasn’t displayed in such a big game, well 100% effort was given throughout and criticism can not be fairly dished out to any player...well done lads.
But having watched first hand 100% commitment from each and every single player for 96mins it does now open the Pandora’s box of “quality.....”
So I’ll start with the Manager:
Pochettino set us up 352 which produced 35mins of near one way traffic, their goal was a perfect example of this, our wingbacks were forced into a back 5 leaving acers of space in the wide areas of midfield and left us an extra man doing nothing at Centre half, with the midfield 3 running around like headless chickens chasing shadows, the two up top were starved of the ball and were basically out of the game. Around 35mins he changed it pushing Verts to leftback and rose playing wide left, with Lucas dropping deeper into midfield 4411, he stuck with this second half and what a change of pace it produced, their fullbacks were stuck and we dominated midfield, had chances to win that game twice over, should have won that game twice over, Liverpool were broken and lost, but this is the highest level of football in the world and you live and die by fine margins of “quality”......Verdict? We must keep him at all costs.

Lloris - Can be a quality shot stopper, and has saved the day more than once over the season, but every time he has the ball at his feet I shit myself, and of course he has an ever growing collection of errors in his quiver....Verdict? Let him see out the season but needs replaced, Gazza could be a ready made “free” replacement and Hugo could bring in a welcome £25/30m.

Trippier - We always knew his defending was average, but he was supposed to offer quality, energy and delivery going forward, but hasn’t really lived up to the WC hype....Verdict? Another summer fundraiser, we don’t have a ready made replacement in the ranks so scouts should be looking at Rightbacks as we speak.

Rose - Improving with each game after his comeback......Verdict? Got to stick with him.

Vertonghen - Legend.....Verdict? I’d make him Captain.

Alderweireld- Leaving.....Verdict? Would love to keep him but he will leave for 25m, Scouts should be looking hard for replacement.

Sanchez - Inexperienced....Verdict? With Toby almost certain to leave we need to keep this kid, and keep improving him.

Sissoko - No words to describe him before the watershed....Verdict? Is he worth selling and taking a massive financial hit? But does being a squad player really suit him either? Best option here is to whore him out to the Chinese market and with a bit of luck claw back most of what was wasted.

Eriksen - His head isn’t in the game right now, that said he’s not playing his normal position which isn’t helping him, and of course the contract dilemma.....Verdict? If he won’t sign by the end of the season then 100m being touted looks good, could be our best option to actually have a transfer budget this summer.

Lucas - The definition of Hit & Miss....Verdict? Got to keep working him.

Alli - When the team clicks he clicks, sadly it should be the other way around, when he clicks the team should click......Verdict? Let’s get a team that clicks then, still too much potential to even consider selling, just needs to sort his personal life out and stop getting distracted.

Kane - Straight to the Verdict.....Verdict? Build a team to his strengths.

Son - Hardest one of them all, when Kane doesn’t play he looks like Messi, when Kane plays he looks like Sissoko....Verdict? Too much quality to even consider selling, but he isn’t a winger, he’s a striker, pair him up with Kane in a 4411.......

Back
Top Bottom